It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.73 for 3.55 axle trade.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

Swaping out my 3.73's for 3.55's would drop my cruise RPMs by 60 and add about 1/2 MPG. but the cost of putting in the gears is ridiculous and also hard to do. so if anyone with a 3.7L manual that has 3.55's and wants 3.73, we could do a axle trade. I have a 2006 CRD with 100K highway miles, ESP, no trac-loc, changed oil every 25K, no abuse or off-roading. so I'm looking for a trade with someone who has 3.55's and has not neglected the gear oil changes and has similar miles. i have a two bay garage in Toledo Ohio.

Post subject: Re: 3.73 for 3.55 axle trade.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Don't know of anyone with a manual with 3.55s here in the area, not even in Ohio right off. 2006KJ has one but he's on the wrong side of the border in Pa.
Was going to welcome you to LOST but see you've been on for a while, just never on this area I guess, but belated Welcome anyways!
If you ever see me at least wave :wink:

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hey tom incommando has a 6 speed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm 

YES REMEMBERED HIM ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES AFTER I POSTED A RESPONSE, I'LL GET CONTACT HIM AND SEE IF HE WOULD BE INTERESTED OR NOT :wink:

WHOOPS didn't mean to have all caps on, so wasn't yellin!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 pm 
LOST Member

cool thanks guys! FYI I've been in Toledo for a decade, came for UT, never escaped.

what would be best would be the 3.21:1 ratio in the KK, but i bet there is little chance the axles will swap out easy, so 3.55:1 is the best i can ask for. my jeep has the 545RFE trans, so if i speed up to 65 and then coast down to 59, i can get the cruise RPMs down to about 1690 (at a legal 56mph GPS), so if i got that closer to 1600 that's better. I commute down to Fostoria @66miles/day so any improvement is $ in the bank, but not so much for things like the GDE tune which would never pay off for me. with 100K on the OE goodyear wranglers I'm looking for taller, thinner tires too, but they always seem to come at a weight/size penalty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:58 pm 

100,000 on the OE tires!??? :shock: I couldn't run them over 10,000 miles, mine were terrible.
Can't go much taller due to the wheel wells etc. Most go up to a 245-70 and that's it.
I contacted a guy who has a 6 speed but then I remembered that the CRDs are different than the gasser's since they sit farther to the left. Have to do some looking to see what all would need changed. It would take some time to swap both out, rear would be a snap, front takes some time, about 3 hours or so if everything comes out the way it should and thats with a couple of little short cuts.
Funny you want to go to higher gears and I want to get my lower ones installed soon! :ROTFL:
I've been here 5 years and came due to the state offering me a position here, otherwise no way!!! :banghead:
When you have time maybe we can meet and look things over closer to see what all would need to be done if anything except swap diffs and CVs
I live off 475/Reynolds/Airport area
Mine gets the best at around 2000 RPMs 1650 or so its a dog and bogs bad!Difference between gassers and CRDs :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:41 pm 
LOST Member

I like the OE tires, but i don't off-road either so i don't know what I'm missing. I got the car for the diesel w/AWD for snow and rain on my occasional commutes to Detroit. the Goodyear wrangler is the lightest tire out there at 29 lbs each. I'm looking for a new set for next winter and they are cheap with the blackwall option too.

i did a parts car-part.com interchange and it looks like any front diff will work, so long as its from an ABS car. I believe the difference is in the axle shafts, not the diff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:58 pm 

Yes I did some checking around. Trying to get you contact info on the guy who wants to swap!!