It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Window tint % for those who have it.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pretty self explanatory, how dark is your tint, and have you ever gotten hassled about it.

I have been thinking about going 20-30% all around(except windshield obviously)

Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch

Post subject: Re: Window tint % for those who have it.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Legal for Ohio is 50% on drivers/pass front windows, but we all know we push that darker. I'm betting 20% is going to get you busted pretty quick....State troopers love tinted cars. My Tahoe is pretty dark, I'm betting 25-30%, not sure. Had it 3 yrs now and I've never got hassled.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

I've only been busted 1 time in 5 yrs for it.... And It's not like they look for tinted windows and pull you over... You usually get pulled over for another violation and they add that to it....
Mine was a $90 fine for -5%

And unless they changed it... The Ohio legal limit is 35% in front.... According to the state trooper.... :roll:

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have factory deep tint glass in the rear and I had the front windows tinted to match 20%. I also had a 5% strip installed on the front windshield.

Here is a pic:

If you look close you can see the vehicle going by and the street behind my KJ through both tinted windows.

PA Legal mumbo jumbo: Unlike other States, which explicitly state a percentage in their law, Pennsylvania does not. Therefore it is necessary to make a 'reasonable' estimate. Based on common sense and the Law in other States, it appears that tint with a transmittance much below 25-30% may not permit a person to view the interior and would therefore be ILLEGAL under current PA Law.

In Philly here tint is all over the place, alot of vehicles have 5% and their front windshields down to half of the window. I have even seen "daily driver" vehicles with orange, red and blue color tints all around. Talk about ugly!

For 20 years I have had tint installed all around in every vehicle I owed and never had any problems. The darkest i've gone was 5% on my very first vehicle and it was way too dark. Could not see at night and had to roll down the windows to see anything, and backing up was a pain in the ***!

I agree with the other poster that generally you will get pulled over for another infraction and then possibly be issued a citation for dark tint. The issue that pisses off police (watched too many reality COPS shows, so I know) is that they cannot not see in your vehicle when they pull you over. Makes the Police go into high defense mode.

My thought is that if I ever get pulled over for something. First thing I will do after I put the vehicle in park and shut off the ignition will be to roll down the front windows and turn on the interior light so that the Police has an unobstructed view into the vehicle. This signals to Police your not going to run and have nothing to hide.

In this day and age the Police have more important things to worry about than to stop you for tint on your windows.

I have a brother-in-law that has had two different sports cars that he installed tint on the rear windows only. He was afraid to be "hassled" by the law.

More important things to worry about, just do what you to do with your tint. I definately would not suggest anything lighter than 20% though. 35% is way too light.

Just think about it technically with alot of jeeps and other 4x4's various other things could be illegal depending what state your in. (i.e. tire projection past the wheel well, height of bumpers, size of tires, etc., etc., etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
And unless they changed it... The Ohio legal limit is 35% in front.... According to the state trooper.... :roll:

Ohio Tint Law Enacted: 2004

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OHIO?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Ohio, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield. 70% similiar to standard equipment.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
• Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN OHIO?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
• Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
• Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER OHIO RULES AND REGULATIONS
• Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
• Side Mirrors No restrictions.
• Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
• Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
• Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

You must have nice troopers up in far north Chris, our guys down here WILL pull you over for just dark tint or even no front license plate......just sayin'.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My back 3 are the darkest limo tint you can get. The rear passenger windows are a little lighter and the front windows are a bit below legal here in Ohio. Never had any problems at all. My buddy in AZ advised against the rear limo tint because it makes it harder to see when backing while wheeling, true but just use care and look 4 times before backing while wheeling. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

My sides are double Limo tint, well all except the drivers/passenger, don't like them tinted too many times trying to back a trailer or on a back road and can't see where I am unless I roll down the windows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:50 pm 
LOST Member

i stuck with legal 50% (WI) on the jeep since my GF will be driving it more this winter, and she works at the cop-shop. I personally PREFER 35% on the fronts though

I've been doing tint for the past ten years, and around this area the cops are hitting tint harder now than ever!

and YES, i was pulled over TWICE in my Lexus IS300 for front tint (35%) that is all i was given a ticket for!! the second time, 2 weeks later, while trying to get it dismissed, my friends was driving the lexus, and the same trooper pulled him over and said he recognized it and was surprised i hadn't removed it yet. gave him (me) another fine!!! i got the 2nd one dismissed when i called the DA back and told them i got another while still trying to fight the first. when i sold the IS300, i tinted my STi legal, same as my girls Merceds & Focus. just not worth the hassle anymore. still prefer 35% all around on cars, and 35% front / 20% rear on SUVs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 pm 
LOST Member

I have a small assortment of pictures of cars i've tinted on my facebook page for work... and i list what % they all are. If anyone cares to browse the pics for ideas, feel free!! not sure if you can all click the link or not...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 7404259600
I only photo about 1/5th of the cars i tint, usually the nicer ones when i remember the camera from home! ha. but it's still a decent assortment. Just started doing the photos this spring, so i'll keep building it up...

on a side note... i have a good customer that has an SRT-8 jeep that i did 5% OVER the factory 20% in the backs, and then 5% on the driver/passenger windows. I've gotten 2 calls from him at 2am, telling me he'll be in a 9am to get them retinted after he goes to the police station to show it's been removed via fix-it-ticket. he's in my shop by 9am, back out with 5% by 10am!!! ha. well, actually, the 3rd time we did 20% on the fronts instead of 5% if i remember correctly

I've done all his families vehicles... his dad prefers 35% all around on his Acura RDX and also BMW X6M. (<<--- damm nice ride there!)
his X6M in my shop...
believe it or not, that is 35% on the fronts... the backs are lighter than most SUVs, i'd say closer to 30%, that's why it matches nicely. just looks much darker cuz it's inside my shop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm 

nice advertisement :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

indiana law is 35% and i have had 20% on my jeep for 2 years and no problems. on my gtp i had limo all around and never got hassled either(4 years)

(SOLD) 2005 Liberty Renegade 4x4
2.5" Lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Hella 500s, Black Widow Roof Rack, Stock Rock Rails, TJ Front Bumper, Flowmaster 44 Offroad

(SOLD) 2006 Liberty Limited 4x4
L.O.S.T. Stickers, Yokohama Geolander AT-S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:42 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
nice advertisement :roll: :roll:

hey gotta plug myself when i can. but more importantly, there is a lot of differences between window tints, styles, brands, etc... tint is not just tint anymore. I've been dealing with it for 10 yrs, and have a pretty good knowledge of what is out there and what works and what to stay away from. it was more of an offer to help with questions regarding this subject, believe it or not, i redo a lot of cars with crappy tint that people thought was the "good stuff" when they bought it. but a shameless plug never hurts business either, right?!?!?!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:24 pm 

Guess not :shock: :lol: :5SHOTS:
I first starting installing window tint back in the mid 70s and yes there is a difference and even what was available back then till now.
I even installed some on my wife's Toyota while in Tanzania a couple of months ago.
I'm now a global installer/ mechanic :ROTFL:

since I also installed new shocks/tuneup etc as well