It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to replace wheel bearing assemblies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been hearing a humming noise coming from my front end somewhere, I've decided to try the wheel bearings. In the process of putting the assembly back on I stripped one of the 3 mounting bolts. It is a strange 6 sided, star-like bolt. I was using a regular 11mm socket....do I need a special socket for these bolts?

Post subject: Re: Trying to replace wheel bearing assemblies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

Yes you need a special socket,it is called a e-torx socket,wich on the crd is a e-torx 14 but on the gaz model i dont know the size,might be the same size but i dont know for sure,e-torx=reverse torx...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a lot! Explains why mine stripped off, now I still need to figure out how to get it out...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:15 pm 
LOST Member

Simple,take a bolt-stud extractor,its a kind of turn left type of socket,you usually can get a kit of 5-6 for like 50$ in the cheap quality,wich does the job easily if you use them right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Never heard of one...do you know if you can rent the kit from advance or something? and i just realized i posted this in the OHIO section, sorry. Idk how to move it now either

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:20 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.rockford-industrial.com/Weld ... n-set.HTML

There you go bud,yes i am sure they can get some for you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you patmaz, I need to do something quick so I have a way to class monday. I'll let you know how everything works out. Do you know if you can order more bolts...I will need one to replace the stripped one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

Yes the bolts should be available,but the bad thing is only the dealer will have them in stock,but they usually have some..Like 3-5$ each,maybe less...Dont forget to get yourself a slide hammer puller to get the hub/bearing off or use a zip gun to get it loose from the housing,it will be seized with the years....But if you use the tools i just told you,you wont have any problems.

When you put the new one in,put the axle shaft in the slipnes of the new bearing,then push the hub inside the housing by hand or with a rubber hammer,(gently here),and by hand install the 3 bolts,then gradually tighten each bolt doing a cross pattern so the hub center easily and goes into its place smoothly without stripping the bolts,after it settle in place,torque the bolts,and your done!Of course dont forget the axle shaft bolt hahaha!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did all the stuff you said only the bolt stripped as I was getting ready to torque the bolts...just my luck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 am 
LOST Member

Oh,yeah sometimes everything goes ok and at the last minute,something happens,that is the fun of fixing things,but i am not worried,you will fix it,take this as some more knowledge to your bag!

You become a good mechanic with time and facing thoses kind of situations,so dont get pissed,it can happen to the best ones!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I just helped stingin with a bearing replacement yesterday. The gasser and the diesels use the same bearing, so the E14 Torx socket is what you'll need.

Due to the shape of the Torx heads you may not need an extractor. It might be possible to tap the correct socket in place with a hammer and extract the bolt.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
I just helped stingin with a bearing replacement yesterday. The gasser and the diesels use the same bearing, so the E14 Torx socket is what you'll need.

Due to the shape of the Torx heads you may not need an extractor. It might be possible to tap the correct socket in place with a hammer and extract the bolt.

If I may add to this, if ya can't get a torx socket to grab the bolt head you can try to use a 12 point socket in a size that will have to be hammered on. The Mercedes engines I work on all the time use torx bolts for darn near everything and they always strip, even when using my Snap On sockets. Using a 12 point socket in a size that can be hammered on always works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Well guys, I got the job done and the humming noise stopped so it was my wheel bearings. Mostly the passenger side because I played with it a little after getting it out and there was a lot of play and clicking around. I got the E14 socket (had to buy the whole set just for the one socket) and hammered it on and it was enough for me to torque it the rest of the way. Thanks again guys for all of the help and advice!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 am 
LOST Member

Great news!