It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weakegan, Il
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am being transferred to this part of the world!!

Just got orders to go to a clinic there in Great Lakes. As of right now it is just me, no family. Anyone give me some good info on the area? housing prices, areas to stay away from, what should I expect from the area?

Looking forward to getting out meetig up with everyone.

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

Post subject: Re: weakegan, Il
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:34 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

waukegan, Il ;) your going to be a little nort of me. kinda near bass pro shop :D

when is this going to happen, you and jeepin are new guys here and cant wait to see ya!

toys for tots could be a meet and greet

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a report no later then date of 1 Dec.

I am gonna have to look into the Toys for Tots thing, if the dates work then I may be in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Alot of people who work at Great Lakes live in Pleasant Prarie, WI and Kenosha, WI (I would go WI if I was you, less tax COL is a little lower and the commute is probably the best)

North Chicago is out of the question. Look at schools if you family ends up coming up. And how long do you want to drive every day?Round Lake Beach, Round Lake, Gurnee, pull out a map and pick a spot.

A great web site to look for houses is Illinoisproperty.com

Houseing office should be able to give you some info about the area and call your new command and talk to someone there, always a good idea, can't go wrong there.

What should you expect, HIGH gas prices, HIGH sales tax, HIGH property tax, people everywhere, crappy roads and oh yeah SNOW and COLD!!!

2009 Liberty Sport 4x4
Sky Slider
Factory Tow Package
Super Expensive Gutter Screen Grill Inserts
24" of PPF on the front
Factory skids
AEM intake, Scanguage II
Skink Super Sliders, 3/8" Boiler Shims
Stops here for now....baby here!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wingnuts wrote:
What should you expect, HIGH gas prices, HIGH sales tax, HIGH property tax, people everywhere, crappy roads and oh yeah SNOW and COLD!!!

Man you make Illinois sound soooo inviting. I don't know why we don't have a line at the border waiting to get in :D

I'm about an hour and a half southwest of Great Lakes. Looking forward to having you as a neighbor Will.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wingnuts wrote:
Alot of people who work at Great Lakes live in Pleasant Prarie, WI and Kenosha, WI (I would go WI if I was you, less tax COL is a little lower and the commute is probably the best)

North Chicago is out of the question. Look at schools if you family ends up coming up. And how long do you want to drive every day?Round Lake Beach, Round Lake, Gurnee, pull out a map and pick a spot.

A great web site to look for houses is Illinoisproperty.com

Houseing office should be able to give you some info about the area and call your new command and talk to someone there, always a good idea, can't go wrong there.

Although ^this^ is some good advice and pretty much sums it up accurately.. There's only one thing you all have got wrong..

It's; "Great Mistakes", get it right. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oddball for me it is Great mistakes one more time, I did it the first time in 94.

Thanks for the welcomes, and somewhat looking forward to it, it was time for a change for me anyways.

What weight oil and gear lube does everyone suggest for the winters? I am running Amsoil in there and plan on keeping it that way, but I am do to change before I go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

does not matter really lol. change it since you going to make the drive i guess :)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ Willy wrote:
Oddball for me it is Great mistakes one more time, I did it the first time in 94.

That's cool. Honestly, I'm former Army. I only learned of that title from my nephew who is a Naval Aviator.

KJ Willy wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes, and somewhat looking forward to it, it was time for a change for me anyways.

As for your location and your "need for a change".. My nephew was once stationed at NAS Oceana and at the time he and his wife (both natives of California) really liked the area, however just last summer I asked them (they're currently at NAS Fallon) if they still wanted to go back to the VA beach area and to my surprise, they adamantly said no. As I understood it, they mentioned how the crime rate has really escalated there and no longer have any desire to return to that area. My question to you.. What is your take on the area today? I realize crime is everywhere but as someone who has never been fond of the east coast, I really did like the VA Beach area. (I went there twice to visit them).

KJ Willy wrote:
What weight oil and gear lube does everyone suggest for the winters? I am running Amsoil in there and plan on keeping it that way, but I am do to change before I go.

When I had my 3.7 KJ, I ran Amsoil 5W30 all year long here in Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well overall the area is not to bad, depending on where you are actually at, like everywhere it has its ghettos.

I grew up as a Navy brat so I have always moved around and never stayed in one place to long, and when I do I start getting that itch to move. The longest place I ever stayed was my first duty station and that was Charleston SC for 5 years and I loved it there and would go back, for a little while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Made it in tonight, will be hanging out up in WI, and will probably get a place up here.

Hoping that I can make it to the T4T run.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

:grim: If the world needed an enema Waukegan is where you would put the hose! :grim: