It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Time for upper a arms & lower ball joints
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:39 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Ah chivalry... Lol :D

Frankenlift; Skink Sliders; Skid Row front skid; Mopar trans, t-case, and gas tank skids; f/r recovery points; Cobra 75 WX ST; Renegade light bar; hardwired radar detector; 245/75 Guard Dog MTs; Optima Red Top, Amsoil air filter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Reassembled drivers side after jacking around with that stupid press kit for a good 2 hrs, fixed a goof on one of the tie rods, R&R'ed the UCA's checked the cv's again, checked the brake calipers/caliper mounting brackets

It's still making the thumping, //scratch the intermediate shaft suggestion, I've had more time to think about it//, melodic thumping at speed, occasional thump turning left , possibly rack bushings too

also could be that pass. hub, the drivers hub didn't seem to exhibit issues

I forward it to Jaymie's crew and Tom

Her driver's UCA was about to fall apart btw.. so whoever that was that hooked her up with the UCA's.. kudos' .. she really needed it.. I was pretty sure it was going to separate during removal but it stayed in there, barely

Spent a lot of time standin around smoking and joking.,. but then again I am getting old and don't move as fast as I used to :P

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Last edited by JeepinJarhead03 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:12 am 

Any change in sound at different speeds/ smooth/bumpy road?
My intermediate shaft started out just making a little noise at about 25-35 would get a little noiser when slightly turning right but not much
Whats the rack bushings look like? Can you see any play?
Also can't remember how many miles are on hers but check the front diff bushings as well. There is a certain red KJ here in town with under 100,000 miles that you can move it by hand almost and makes a similar noise.
so
1. Intermediate shaft /right CV
2. rack bushings
3. front diff bushings

It would seem that we need to gather at least three states together and go completely through hers real well and get her up and running real well! :wink: :lol:
You did a good job on the LBJs and UCA's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:29 am 

How bad did it look when you did it Jayme ?
I thought you had done a CV for her but wasn't sure which side.
Too bad I'm not a little closer I have a good used intermediate shafts here just in case

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 am 

But all of the inboards I have seen they are or rather were OK
the outboard is what was gone pretty much.
Just a thought as to what it maybe.
Hope not would be a shame to tear it back apart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

progressively gets louder till about 35-40 then quiets down and starts again about 60

Pop's occasionally while rolling when turning the steering wheel left even slightly which makes me think a rack bushing is popping on top of the other racket it's making

I can't hear for **** out of my left ear and it sounded like it was commin' from the rear like a hammer on the floorboard.. which about 90% of the time means it's reverberating from the front

The following have been replaced at some time in the past however long

UCA's
both outter cv's

supposedly the transfer case and trasfercase end of the front drive shaft

also rear ujoints

and some feller at a custom driveshaft shop looked at the intermediate shaft and said it was fine.. which was who mentioned something to her about carrier bearings (i think)

----

Given everything involved that you guys have been doing, and what was done and investigated today

Her drivers UCABJ was about to fall out, both uca's were replaced with lightly used uca's thanks to her UCA guardian angel donor who did her a big favor

the drivers boot on the LBJ is fragged, she has new greasable lbj's ready to go in- couldn't for the life of me get that p.o.s press kit to cooperate, the lbj's are still tight, not very concerned about them I don't feel they're a safety hazard, but they're going to rot over the winter pretty quickly

Her thumping, I rode with her, thought it over.. I think she needs a new rear head on the front driveshaft.. even though it's "supposedly" been replaced.. they also "replaced" her transfercase after telling her that was what the culprit was .. with no dice

She has a rebuild kit for the front diff bearings which included, if i recall correctly, bearings, races.. and crush? and also a pinion seal and what I think is a pinion seal for the 8.25.. then another dooda.

She might need pinion seals, I didn't look, most all of us need pinion seals at some point so she may as well keep those.

But i'm thinking she could get her money back for the bearing kit

--

the drivers hub didn't look.. eh.. it wasn't fresh but it didn't look or feel horrid.
However the pass hub i didn't get to inspect, nor did i pull the knuckle on the pass. side

the thought of the intermediate shaft came and gone.. I can't really put too much faith in that one
It very well could be the rear head of the front driveshaft.. HOWEVER: I'm pretty sure she mentioned that she has driven it with the cv's removed and that it still exhibited the symptoms

which makes me think it's the passenger hub

the front driveshaft rear head is possible to make racket with the cv's removed but more or less intermittent, but judging by the volume of stuff that's been done to the vehicle in a fairly short time I don't feel comfortable ruling out the front driveshaft even in light of it having been driven without the cvs

**** ton of information processed today..
----

so here's what i'm feeling certain of at the moment
1.Rack bushings need to be inspected just out of curiosity
2.LBJ's installed by someone who's not a C-Clamp press retard I'll strip it down if someone else will operate that charlie-foxtrot of a kit.
3.Pass. Hub needs to be inspected
4.Rear head of front driveshaft to be inspected ie: let's remove it and drive it around the ****in block and eliminate an option

I'm also certain that SOME of her noise, at low speeds and turning, is UCA/Coil/Puck contact, but not all of it, at the same time not ruling out some rack bushing popping included but there were some clear signs of uca to coil and puck contact, franky hd vs stock uca's

L.O.S.T #KD098632

Last edited by JeepinJarhead03 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:08 am 

Dang, everything but Divine Intervention

carrier bearings ?

This is a good one for sure.
man have to think about what else it could be, so you think its more than the rack possibly popping?
Did they replace the whole front drivshaft or just the head?
Half asleep and thinking wondering out loud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I honestly don't remember who advised her on the carrier bearings, but judging by lack of shavings or otherwise contaminant when jaymie? serviced the front diff, I can't really buy that.

The diff "sounded" normal, felt "tight" although i didn't strip the cv's and the driveshaft to feel just the diff, nothing really gives me a significant idea that anything is wrong with the diff.

The Driveshaft, possibly.. supposedly it's been replaced along with the transfer case but I think Ann got jacked on that dealership ticket.

Pretty sure she mentioned that it still did with the cv's out

so, that's what makes me lean towards the hub, the drivers hub felt decent, didn't get to feel the pass hub without the cv on it

I know the rack bushings aren't making ALL of that racket, maybe some at parking lot speeds, maybe some of the racket when turning left and such, but she's also got some uca/coil contact there too

on straight level smooth road.. velocity driven tempo of thumping, it's at the wheels ie: hub or the driveshaft head, with only 60k on the vehicle, almost have trouble understanding why she's got hub issues if that's the case

as for whether it was the whole driveshaft or just the head.. i can't say, I don't think I inquired beyond whether or not the front d-shaft had been replaced which was "yes" then asked about the rear ujoints which was also "yes"

if i had to pick out of all of the options, it would be A or B , rear driveshaft head, or Hub.

I'd (or someone) like to pull the front driveshaft and see if it still does it before she goes and spends any more money

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 am 

I'll agree with what has been replaced ( hopefully with the right parts and the right way) then it almost has to be the hub or front driveshaft.
But with that low of miles, of course anything could happen.
Ann's way too nice to have all of that crap go bad or get messed around like that
Well seems someone will need to go in and start taking it one step at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't feel like the lbj's are an emergency, I know i've already said it but i'm just glad that drivers uca is replaced, mine was in that condition and came apart on R&R

If aaron's willing to fanangle the press, I don't mind having the knuckles down by the time he gets here, or even bringing the knuckles to him pending ann and aaron's schedule ya know?

I'm comfortable saying the lbj's can wait till after christmas, I won't be around from the 8th till the 16th in jan. but other than that i'll be here. What we can plan on is popping the ft. ds out whenever the lbj's happen.

Don't want you guys stressing your family christmas schedule, so whenever ann and aaron's schedules match up just let me know, i'll absorb the R&R time and can use my garage again, no big deal at all

and if you guys need a garage sometime too, i usually have a garage door opener in my pocket, more than welcome.. bring a space heater, cause I don't have heat out there :P

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ann texted me and said that the Pass. Hub was replaced when the tie rods were done

so that sort of narrows it down some more

1. front rear head
2. drivers hub
3. boogiemonsta

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:38 pm 

Dang running everything through my head that has been replaced it almost seems that it has to be behind Door Number 3 now!

3. boogiemonsta

Man I hope my KJ never gets that :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, I am glad that some of it got fixed and that she was able to make it on the old UBJ's.

I am out the next couple weekends but should be able to assist after the new year.

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it