It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Timing belt local guys? - Huntley IL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys Im a newbie from Huntley. Is there anyone locally that wants to help me do the timing belt on my 05 crd? either we can do it together with a case of beer or I am willing to pay you to do it if its reasonable.

I would prefer the above but if no one is willing to help out and you locals maybe direct me to a shop that can help me out?

as soon as that is done I plan on doing the following mods so if you have something I might want pm me and lets talk

-Elephant hose mod thingy
-GDE Hot tune
-GDE trans tune
-lift pump
-transgo shift kit
-remote start
-fan switch ( only works on 3 & 4 now)
-Renegade fenders
-lift
-wheels and tires

-Vince

Post subject: Re: CRD Timing belt local guys? - Huntley IL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hi Vince,
Welcome to the board.

How many miles do you have?

I had mine done by GDE over in MI. Got a quote from Schaumburg Jeep that wasn't too bad either, but decided that Keith probably had more experience doing it. If your planning on getting the tunes anyway, might give him a call and arrange a date.

I'd be glad to help if you do decide to do it yourself. I watched Keith do my engine, but that doesn't make me an expert. I recommend you rent the tool kit from GDE. the right tools make the difference I think.

As for the rest of your list, let me know if you have any questions. I've done most of them to my CRD. I'm just down the road in Elgin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I have 97K on the my jeep but I bet its more bc the odometer stops working with the abs light and brake light come on.

Ill have to think about the GDE doing everything that might get pricy.

I would appreciate the help on a few things. To start want to post a pic or two of your jeep and maybe the mpg you get with the parts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, just follow the "My Build Page" link at the bottom of this post to see my KJ.

I get about 20 mpg around town, 24 mpg on the highway. mpg vary based on how happy my right foot gets.

Have you fixed the odo and ABS light? I've had the same issues, There are a couple of possibilities. Wiring to the rear diff sensor, sensor gets gummed up. Front wheel sensor wires are pretty fragile, easy to damage, or bad wheel sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am 
LOST Newbie

I tried to replace the sensor and that didnt fix it. It is going to be the wiring to the rear dif sensor Im sure of.

with the EHM you just leave the existing hose that you take off of the PR and zip tie it to the washer fluid tank with an open exposed end?

I was hoping to see bigger numbers for mpg. according to GDE's site yours is way lower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

vshockey10 wrote:
I was hoping to see bigger numbers for mpg. according to GDE's site yours is way lower

I have a ton of armor, heavy bumpers front and rear, a winch, 4.10 gears and 32 inch tires. Thats a lot of extra weight, If I went back to stock I'm sure I'd be getting 30+ mpg. The GDE tune added probably 15% to what I was getting before the tune. The key to fuel mileage is how you drive it. GDE tune isn't going to help much if you keep it at 2400 rpm down the road.

The biggest plus with the GDE tune was taking care of the EGR valve. I had been running the "Off Road Mod" and dealing with the CEL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 am 
LOST Newbie

ok so out of curiousity.. what would you think my MPG might be with this setup I am striving for

-GDE HOT Tune
-GDE Trans Tune
-2.5" straight pipe
-Transgo Shift kit
-Euro Torque converter
-Elephant Hose Mod
-Lift Pump
-wheel spacers
-stock tires

how about if I add to the same list a 2" lift ?

then if I add 31" tires?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
-GDE HOT Tune
-GDE Trans Tune
-2.5" straight pipe
-Transgo Shift kit
-Euro Torque converter
-Elephant Hose Mod
-Lift Pump
-wheel spacers
-stock tires

GDE tune could get you as much as a 10% to 15% bump depending on how you drive it. I believe a lot of the same features from the eco tune are in the hot tune, but if you drive it like you stole it, 0% improvement.

Quote:
how about if I add to the same list a 2" lift ?

then if I add 31" tires?

2" lift puts that rolling box, higher in the wind, you can expect a reduction in fuel mileage

31" tires are going to change the speed that the tranny shifts at, which can have a negative effect on your mileage because instead of being in 3rd at 45 mph, your in 2nd. Also those tires are likely heavier than the stock tires.

I switched from 31" 245x75R16 MTR's to 32" 235x85R16 AT's last year and dropped about 15 pounds per corner, reduced the contact area, improved wet and ice road traction, and improved my fuel mileage. Just specifying 31" tires leaves a lot to be specified. Lots of other factors.

If mpg is your goal, lifting and larger tires are not going to help, but it will make it more capable by giving you higher clearance and larger tires. Both good things if you want to get off road.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't really plan on taking it off road so I will probably just get some wheel spacers so no one calls it cute lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 am 
LOST Newbie

where did you get that turbo diesel decal? off a cummins? I like it I might have to copy it

bump for anyone who might want to fo the timing belt for some side cash?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.billetbadges.com/products_25/