It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 am 
LOST Addict

I'll make one last contribution to this thread, and then I'll butt out....

I agree with JL Rockies... Elephant Hill is not a good choice for the stock Jeeps, and Fins and Things is pushing it. The reason I say that is... define a "stock" KJ. I see it as a daily driver with at the most, good A/T tires, skids and tow hooks. In other words, a 4x4 vehicle in which the owner still wants to go out to get dirty and see some of the back country without tearing up his Jeep. A stock KJ "does not" have a lift, nor rock rails. Why even mention that "a lift is helpful" when prefacing suggested requirements for the stock runs??

Please don't get me wrong, I have a stock height KJ with with skids and good tires. I've been out on real trails with it and did pretty good keeping up with the lifted guys without too much trouble... so I know what a stock KJ can do.

I'm not saying keep the stockers on gravel or dirt roads such as Potash, Salt Valley or Willow Springs Roads, but let's be a little more realistic what a "stock" KJ can safely do without worrying about tearing it up. I've never attended a LOST JEEPS event in Moab, but at first glance, little consideration is being given to the stocker guys and gals. If we truly want to make this an event for "all" Jeeps, let's take a better look at the trails and maybe we could get an even larger turn out.

I may be all wet behind the ears about what this event seems to be all about... the modified and SFA guys or the ones driving TJ's or KJ's having a good time. To be honest, when I first joined up with LOST a couple of years ago, I really wanted to head up to MOAB with you, but I just got a feeling the event did not consider stock KJ's and didn't go.

Well guys, those are my observations and opinions of this whole thread (and the of PM's I've sent on this subject). So take it for what it's worth, I'll sit on the side lines and watch how trail selection for everyone, stock to heavily modified plays out providing a "full day" on the trail "every day" except for the scheduled down day....

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

AZKJ wrote:
I'll make one last contribution to this thread, and then I'll butt out....

I agree with JL Rockies... Elephant Hill is not a good choice for the stock Jeeps, and Fins and Things is pushing it. The reason I say that is... define a "stock" KJ. I see it as a daily driver with at the most, good A/T tires, skids and tow hooks. In other words, a 4x4 vehicle in which the owner still wants to go out to get dirty and see some of the back country without tearing up his Jeep. A stock KJ "does not" have a lift, nor rock rails. Why even mention that "a lift is helpful" when prefacing suggested requirements for the stock runs??

Please don't get me wrong, I have a stock height KJ with with skids and good tires. I've been out on real trails with it and did pretty good keeping up with the lifted guys without too much trouble... so I know what a stock KJ can do.

I'm not saying keep the stockers on gravel or dirt roads such as Potash, Salt Valley or Willow Springs Roads, but let's be a little more realistic what a "stock" KJ can safely do without worrying about tearing it up. I've never attended a LOST JEEPS event in Moab, but at first glance, little consideration is being given to the stocker guys and gals. If we truly want to make this an event for "all" Jeeps, let's take a better look at the trails and maybe we could get an even larger turn out.

I may be all wet behind the ears about what this event seems to be all about... the modified and SFA guys or the ones driving TJ's or KJ's having a good time. To be honest, when I first joined up with LOST a couple of years ago, I really wanted to head up to MOAB with you, but I just got a feeling the event did not consider stock KJ's and didn't go.

Well guys, those are my observations and opinions of this whole thread (and the of PM's I've sent on this subject). So take it for what it's worth, I'll sit on the side lines and watch how trail selection for everyone, stock to heavily modified plays out providing a "full day" on the trail "every day" except for the scheduled down day....

I would have been right there with you in the past, but this is overlooking one big thing... stockers don't tend to show. Last year in Ouray there wasn't one unlifted Jeep. Plenty of consideration was made for them, but they didn't show. The year before that in Moab I was the only unlifted Jeep. I ran my share of trails but decided to ride along and see what the harder trails were like...

The last time this event was in Moab, SFA KJ's outnumbered unlifted KJ's 2-1 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:17 am 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
I would have been right there with you in the past, but this is overlooking one big thing... stockers don't tend to show. Last year in Ouray there wasn't one unlifted Jeep. Plenty of consideration was made for them, but they didn't show. The year before that in Moab I was the only unlifted Jeep. I ran my share of trails but decided to ride along and see what the harder trails were like...

The last time this event was in Moab, SFA KJ's outnumbered unlifted KJ's 2-1 :lol:

Agreed, you made my point exactly. That is why I suggested at least "schedule realistic" stock trails (easy and medium) and make everyone feel welcome.... maybe you'll get a bigger turn out. If they don't show, nothing lost. But, I for one will do medium to slightly difficult trails and am not interested in the really hardcore stuff, even in my JK.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:49 am 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

Please note....

Nothing is set in stone, nothing will be set in stone....
The threads I am posting are only SUGGESTIONS, not a definite schedule
A lot of people like knowing what is programmed so they can decide if they want to do it or not
In my opinion, more than half of the trail runs will most likely be scratched off - We just do not know which ones and that will be decided the day it is supposed to be run . I really hope that we have more people attending on 2010 - that makes it a lot easier to keep the schedule.

What I'm trying to do here is to post at least a tentative schedule so we do not go to OK RV parking lot and start trying to figure out what trails to run that particular day -
You are not obliged to run what is scheduled - you can pick and choose from everything that is suggested
But, we do have to have some sort of organization.
Your opinion is appreciated and is being considered fully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

AZKJ wrote:
The reason I say that is... define a "stock" KJ. I see it as a daily driver with at the most, good A/T tires, skids and tow hooks. In other words, a 4x4 vehicle in which the owner still wants to go out to get dirty and see some of the back country without tearing up his Jeep. A stock KJ "does not" have a lift, nor rock rails. Why even mention that "a lift is helpful" when prefacing suggested requirements for the stock runs??

I will make changes to the requirements for "Stock Trails"
Note... we all have different opinions as to what a stock, slightly modified, modified and highly modified rig is.
So, i'll keep it as simple as possible so everybody knows in what category to place their rig on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:12 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

Klondike Bluffs Update
If we want to keep Klondike bluffs for the stockers, I've got confirmation that the cross over trail to Arches is in fact open - at least it is now

Touaregs? on it? Pic taken not too long ago

here couple of my pics - - 2007

almost same section as the touareg pic
That is the road to the back end of arches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

If it's open, that whole section would be good to go for stockers... let me see if I can stir up all my pics from that trail...

JL ROckies and myself running that exact stretch of trail...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=40571&highlight=klondike

Again...JL ROckies and myself on a winter run of Klondike Bluffs... on stock Wrangler ST's :shock:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29391&highlight=klondike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

durangotang wrote:
If it's open, that whole section would be good to go for stockers... let me see if I can stir up all my pics from that trail...

Again...JL ROckies and myself on a winter run of Klondike Bluffs... on stock Wrangler ST's :shock:

Yep - Exactly the same spot - So, we will keep klondike Bluffs / Baby steps 9I think) and Arches back roads on the schedule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

KJ-BOL wrote:
durangotang wrote:

Yep - Exactly the same spot - So, we will keep klondike Bluffs / Baby steps 9I think) and Arches back roads on the schedule

I call it Baby Steps as well... technically, Baby Steps is the name of a bike trail that branches off of Klondike Bluffs but that's what makes sense to most people. None of the guidebooks reference it though in case anyone was trying to look it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:22 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

will lock this one and we can keep discussing on the other 2 threads on top

I do not know why i did it this way but its already done so.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2