It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Bull Bars & Brush Guards: Worth spending your money and are useful for off-roading or waste of money
Yes, they are effective in protecting your front on trails - worth the money 46%  46%  [ 17 ]
Yes, they are effective in protecting your front but not worth the money 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
No, they are not effective at protecting your front on the trail, waste of money 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
No, they are not effective at protecting your front, but worth buying for looks 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Bull Bars and Brush Guards: Useful?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:40 pm 
I live here
I live here

Okay, someone on here was asking about Bull Bars and Brush Guards so I thought I'd add a poll to get everyone's opinion on them.

If you have stories about the use of them or the use by others, please post some stories/comments on them.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll be interested to hear the stories of those with experience. It seems like if you need them and get a quality product they'd be worth the money. I'm suspicious, however, that like most mods I see on trucks, most of the time it's a cosmetic option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:58 pm 
I live here
I live here

ZZZZzzzz.......No stories? How about personal opinions?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Well worth the money

that is my next major mod for the KJ an ARB Bar as i have had a few close calls with Kangaroos,

You can total your vehical by hitting a fully grown Roo

+ you can hang good stuff like lights arials and winches on them

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:59 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I have seen a quality product save many vehicles from damage on and off road. The best example I can think of is a TJ with an ARB bullbar. It slid down an ice covered hill off road straight into a small tree. The tree's trunk was about 4" in diameter. The trunk snapped off where it hit the bullbar and caused no damage at all. 15 minutes prior, another TJ had done the same thing but hit a tree a little earlier. He didn't have any additional protection, the tree (about 3.5" diameter trunk) only split, and there was about $1500 of damage to the Jeep. There are many variables that could account for the differences but, IMHO, the bullbar played a major roll in the first TJ not getting any damage.

On the other hand, I've seen a low-quality product cause much additional damage from folding into the body and front end instead of protecting it. The occasion that pops to mind is when a Dakota a friend of mine owned was hit in a parking lot. He was hit in the driver's side front corner. Instead of just doing damage to that area, the brush guard was pushed about 2" to the right tweaking the whole front end and bended back into the body causing even more damage there.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:57 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

Bull bar is worth it, even if you never use it. I mean, for peace of mind. I bought mine because of the wild animal population up here that like to use the roads and back roads as much as we do. Pretty much what the Aussies had in mind when they designed them, except their deer hop around on two legs... :D But it's been handy a few times when the trails had obstacles across...then you can see why it's called a "bull bar" and not a "brush bar".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:52 pm 
LOST Member

I think that brush guards aren't worth it if you are trying to protect the front of your KJ because you'll smash the plastic bumper first!

The ARB bull bar probably is worth it in the right circumstances, but it does adversely affect you approach angle. I haven't used one on a Jeep, but i had one on my Landie Defender..... it saved my front end twice! :twisted: I would get one for the KJ if I did more hardcore offroading in it.

Ian