New factory order 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Used off the dealer lot 38%  38%  [ 48 ]
Used from a private seller 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Used from an auction 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Stole it, not giving it back 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Leased, then purchased 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Leasing 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 127
 Post subject: How did you get your KJ/KK?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thought it would be interesting to see how everyone came upon their KJ/KK.

I had driven both a 4cyl and 6 cyl gas 2002 when we were looking for a new car for my wife, but didn't like the interior or the fuel economy, bought her a PT Cruiser instead. My son started driving so he inherited my 1999 Ranger, and I had to go look for a new ride :twisted:. I heard about the CRD from Popular Mechanics and went to test drive it. Was very impressed, but didn't like the only CRD they had, a fully loaded Limited, couldn't find what I wanted in anyone's inventory, so I ordered it in May and my CRD was delivered in early June 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd been researching SUVs for about 6 months when I happened across pics on Jeep's website about their new "Liberty"...and it was love at first sight. That was early 2001. In June, my old Acura Integra was starting to fall apart at about the same time I heard that our local Jeep dealership had just gotten some KJs in stock. They arrived on Thursday night...I bought mine Saturday morning.

I loved it even before I found LOST, but LOST is the reason I'll keep it until the wheels fall off.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a 2000 Izuzu Amigo and loved it, but some jerk in a GMC Yukon decided not to stop at a 4-way stop and T-Boned me through the drivers door and totaled my Amigo. So I decided since I've always wanted a Jeep I would start looking around for one. I found a 2003 Liberty and liked the way it looked.

I still miss my Amigo, but am really starting to like the Liberty. If only I could find some afordable skid plates to help get me back out in the woods, I would like it even more.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wanted a small SUV so I test drove everything with wheels. I fell in love with the KJ.

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 am 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

wanted a better ride than our old Dodge Dakota pick up truck - went to look for something and fell in love with the FIRST KJ - Silver color not a 4x4 - just two wheel drive. - Then, one day, went to same dealer foran oil change, saw the renegade on the lot and bought it without even test driving it. Then I became LOST :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My liberty was a leased sales vehicle lfrom a company my son inlaw works for. I always wanted a jeep so they let us drive it for a couple of weeks and my wife and i loved it.they had 6 to choose from but the 2004 had the lowest miles and was in great shape. best deal i ever made Ive put 40k on it about 1k in fourweel drive

Post subject: Stole It (sort of...)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

It is a 2004 3.7L 4x4 AT Sport with the preferred equipment package (PEP) that had the power windows, mirrors & door locks, A/C, roof rack, AM/FM/CD, steel wheels, etc. PLUS the tinted rear glass and cruise control (not in the package in '04) that I got new from the Carmax dealer in Norcross, GA (who carries new Chrysler/Jeep vehicles) in June '04.

The vehicle had an MSRP of $23,450 (2004 models were actually more expensive in some versions than 2005 models). Carmax does not count the extras above the PEP in the determination of their sale price so the cruise control and tinted windows were "free", and with the DCC incentive money and the Carmax's discount the price SHOULD have been $20,000. However, Carmax messed up and inventoried the vehicle as a 4x2 with a sale price of $19,000, so I paid $4,450 less than MSRP +++

During the whole buying process I kept on waiting for a manager to come running in and say that they could not sell it to me for that price. Never happened and I made sure that the title application and everything else said "4WD" when I signed the paperwork.

So, yeah, I sorta stole it... :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I lost my company car (2004 Maxima) in Feb. of 2007. I wanted to get another Jeep, so we stated looking at WKs. We couldn't find a 4x4 anywhere down here. So we went to carmax and found an 06 WK Limited 4x4. We didn't want white, and it looked a bit hammered. So, behind it was our KJ. It was a lt. Khaki Limited 4x4 on the tan leather. We test drove and fell in love. We went home to do our homework on it, and went back the next night to buy it. It ties with our 99 WJ 4x4 as our best vehicle purchases ever. In retrospect, I'm glad I lost my Maxima.

2015 KL Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

ordered mine from the factory

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought my KJ almost exactly one year after the dealership I worked at got there 1st one in(march of '01).I actually hated the KJ for the longest time,then one day I was not busy and was helping the transport driver unload his truck and I backed off a '02 black Limited,did the dealer prep also.2 hours latter I ended up buying that limited,decided that my '01 Grand was getting to many miles on it to quickly.drove off the lot with 3 miles on it in Feb '02 and I already modified it,replaced the SR-A's with my almost new MT/R's off my Grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

My 95 XJ had over 265,000 on it and I got a sort of promotion , and had to move to another area of Ohio, needed to have a vehicle which I could use on the job and DD, had been looking at what to get, liked the looks of the KJ, sat in one but never drove any. Called a dealer in West Virginia up, told him what I wanted and three days later they delivered it to me from 125 miles away. Had a trailer hitch and wiring waitng ( since he couldn't find what I wanted with the towing package, but threw the hitch on, hooked up the trailer and started moving North to Toledo, 1000 miles later ( two trips north and south) I unhooked the trailer and drove it for the first time with out any thing following me :wink:
118,000 miles later shes still driving like a new one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My wife just had to have the Libby, I went round and round with the dealership as I really didn't want it. They kept coming back with better and better deals for the one equiped the way I required and the color my wife wanted. The fouth trip back into the dealership the deal was too good to pass up so we got it. For the first few months we had it I wouldn't even drive it. Slowly I started to give in to it and drive it on occassion. I didn't start to really fall in love with it till we moved to Colorado and it made an excellent snow vehicle. One of the first snow storms I went through was when we got around 3' of snow. I was out in the Libby at midnite running around. I was amazed as I was plowing through the snow and it was packing into the front grill yet the jeep kept right on going. After that I started to drive it a lot more and took many trips up into the mountains in it. As I was falling in love with it my wife was falling out of love with it and she bought herself a Jag. At that point she told me I could do what ever I wanted with the Libby and the lift and tires went on. I still don't "wheel" the Libby like some of you do but it has proven to be a good vehicle for camping and road trips etc. I had to leave it out in Colorado with my step daughter, but after its fixed I will be picking it up in Albuquerque and bringing it to its new home in Vegas! Maybe now I can take a run with the lost folks in my Libby? lol

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:04 am 
LOST Addict

i finally have my rene minus the lights :cry: but its mine....mine...ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MONTHS OF SEARCHING............. IT'S MINE

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I was driving a Jetta Wolfsburg and it was paid off with 65k miles on it. I was in the process of figuring out whether to keep it forever, or sell it off while it had great value. Going back and forth, not really liking anything I drove, then my brother told me that the put a diesel motor in the Jeep Liberty. I went and drove the only one my Jeep dealer had on their lot (Limited with leather and all the bells & whistles) and loved it, but didn't like the offer that the dealership gave me (besides, I didn't want a Jeep with all the comforts), so I left.

One month later, I looked on their lot again and the same Jeep was sitting there, so I went in and talked to them again. Any change? They came down about $1k, so I shrugged and left.

Another month went by and I saw that the same Jeep was still sitting there. I went in again and said, "You guys are paying floor-plan costs on that thing, I want to take it off your lot, why don't you give me a price that will make it move?"

Sticker = $32,950, left their lot after I got them down to $25,500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 pm 

yellocoyote wrote:
dog_party wrote:

Nice! Image

Oh, and that was on the afternoon of the second date with the woman who is now my wife. Left work early, dealt with the dealership, then showed up for our date straight from the Jeep lot in a completely different vehicle than she had seen me in on our first date. :lol: She said she was very confused by that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

I actually bought it on eBay. Was pretty dubious about the whole thing but I talked to the owner a couple of times and he seemed okay. Then when I got up there (Reno) he insisted on going through all the service records, receipts, show me every little scratch, etc. so I felt pretty good about the sale when it came right down to it.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
dog_party wrote:

Nice! Image

I didn't even know you could GET a KJ to cost $33,000!!! :shock:

Very impressive...

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:07 pm 

Yeah, that sticker was a bit shocking to me too. That's why I didn't even try to deal with them the first time I went in there.

What I wanted: 05 CRD Sport in any color other than Dark Khaki with tow pkg, sunroof, and Traclok. That's it, nice and simple eh? Couldn't be had on anyone's lot within 300 miles of me. Everything that was as stripped as I wanted it did not have a sunroof (sorry, I'm addicted to sunroofs...gotta have one unless it's a convertible).

What I got: Completely LOADED 05 CRD Limited in Dark Khaki (the only color that they charged extra for in 05). The only thing it doesn't have that was an option that year is the GPS system (which I think might have had satellite radio too, I can't remember). I smile everytime I think about how little I paid for it and I'm going to be smiling even more next month when I pay it off. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Was desperate to get out of a lease on another car (still the best one I ever owned), and happened upon my last chance for a dealer to say yes. Jeep. So, asked them for the cheapest 4wd Wrangler they had. Nope. Didn't fit the bill for them. (lots of technicalities). In the end, I said "Look, I'll take anything you have, as long as it's 4wd and not black."

They called me up 2 days later with the 08 Sport (in ugly sparkly black) that I have now. Done.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

Post subject: Mine was a Chrysler program vehicle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Some Chrysler Hot Shot drove mine for 17K and I got it from a Dealer in Plymouth, WI.
Gave me $4250 for my '73 Chevy C30 with a 6-354 Perkins Turbo Diesel.
My wife hated the truck, so I could make my move.

PS: My Jeep runs much better with the mods posted here :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Last edited by warp2diesel on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.