It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Power flush good?
Good 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Bad 75%  75%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Tranny Power Flush - Do or Do Not?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I see that AAMCO is offering a power flush and lifetime flush guarantee. I have 120K miles and may or may not be getting a very intermittant slip/pause when shifting into low from a stop. Wondering if the flush is a good idea or if I am opening up a whole new can of worms?

It's got to be at least 50K since I did a fluid change on the tranny and it was the dlr one, not a power flush so not all the fluid got entirely changed out.

Quote:
Transmission Services: AAMCO Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change*
The AAMCO Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change is the most comprehensive transmission maintenance service available anywhere. It’s the service that may help your transmission shift better, longer.

The service includes:
Complete External Diagnostic Service for your transmission
100% extraction of tired, old fluid
Removal of dirt, grit and abrasives
Replacement of the filter or cleaning of the screen
Replacement of the pan gasket
A check for leaks
Fill with fresh, clean fluid

If your transmission fluid is dirty or deteriorating, you might be on the way to a transmission problem. An AAMCO Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change may help prevent transmission problems before they happen.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If youve never had one before then I wouldnt do it.

At that mileage, changing out the fluid along with the filter is just fine. You could do it more often than 30k if you think it needs it.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep if you want to do tranny flushes you need to start early and do it often,at least every 30,000 miles(I do a tranny flush every 15,000 miles).At that mileage you will unclog your tranny and all that junk is actually keeping your tranny working,believe it or not,and when you remove all that build up your tranny will stop working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:22 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yep if you want to do tranny flushes you need to start early and do it often,at least every 30,000 miles(I do a tranny flush every 15,000 miles).At that mileage you will unclog your tranny and all that junk is actually keeping your tranny working,believe it or not,and when you remove all that build up your tranny will stop working.

I thought that was a myth. But I trust everything you say. I'm glad I didn't mine flushed. I've owned it since 60K so I don't know its maintenance history. I've changed the fluid/filter on it once since then. Will do it another time before winter. I have 80K on it now, and it will probably be at 90K around late winter/early spring. And we all know how fun it is to change your tranny fluid in the middle of winter. It on my to-do list after my Jeep gets fixed. What did I just say?....blah...blah...blah..blah... lol.... :lol:

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

I thought that was a myth. But I trust everything you say. I'm glad I didn't mine flushed. I've owned it since 60K so I don't know its maintenance history. I've changed the fluid/filter on it once since then. Will do it another time before winter. I have 80K on it now, and it will probably be at 90K around late winter/early spring. And we all know how fun it is to change your tranny fluid in the middle of winter. It on my to-do list after my Jeep gets fixed. What did I just say?....blah...blah...blah..blah... lol.... :lol:
I wish it was a myth.

Oh and be very careful about where you get your tranny flushed,there are currently only 2 makers of a true tranny flush machine,Wynn's and B&G and Wynn's is no longer around.The rest are just fluid exchange machines and some can even damage your transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:50 pm 
LOST Member

I was about to do a flush this weekend, i bought it at 70k now i have 90k, '02
plus I don't know the maintenance history, now I don't know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Probably best to just drop the pan. Let it sit overnight to drain as much fluid as possible and change the filters (there are two).

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
Probably best to just drop the pan. Let it sit overnight to drain as much fluid as possible and change the filters (there are two).

Agree but a couple hours draining while you watch the game or eat lunch or something is fine then seal it and refill. Do that every 30-50K (depending on how you trust the fluid you use) and the trans should last a good long time w/out problems. (If you tow you should definately do it more often though)

Also, Note only two filters on the 45RFE (2002- Early 2003). ONE filter on the 42RLE trans.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

For those who need the filter info (on '02 KJ's w/ 2 filters), the part numbers are;

ATP # B-196 (Filter Kit - includes pan gasket) and ATP # B-200 (Spin-on Filter).

Side note; if the OEM filters have never been changed, or have previously been changed by a Jeep dealer, you will need to remove the old silicone seal on the trans pan, and clean it good before applying the new gasket to the pan. The silicone is a sure sign of the stupidity of the Jeep factory, and their dealer service departments. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
The silicone is a sure sign of the stupidity of the Jeep factory, and their dealer service departments.
No it's not,RTV is perfectly good for sealing the pan and many newer vehicles come with RTV on the tranny,oil,and many other places right from the factory,not just Jeep.RTV has been sealing your t-case's for over 20 years also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

I agree with all that is said. Do not start doing the tranny flushes so late in the (mileage) life of your transmission. It's a sure fire way to needing a full rebuild.

Stick with the Pan drops and filter changes.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

what brand should I use and filters. :?