It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Which should I do?
Rock Lizard Rear Bumper 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
ARB Rear Locker 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Front and Rear Lunchbox Lockers 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Rear Lunchbox and if $ isn't too much-Rock Lizard Bumper too 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
4.10 Gears 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject: Locker, Gears or Bumper????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, I have some $$ in the jeep fund and am curious to see what everyone says I should do with it.

I want a rear bumper, Rock Lizard is the only way to go period.

I want lockers. Front, I am not as worried about, the rear I know I need.

Pappa needs a new set of 4.10 gears. I don't mind the little power loss and loss in mpg since lifting my jeep, but I know it is harder on my KJ to drive it without regearing.

So, what I need from everybody is opinions on what I should do. I am not going to buy all of it, it isn't even an option, so that idea is useless unfortunately. I only wanted to spend around $1,000 of the money right now also.

Should I get the rear bumper and be done.

Should I go less expensive and get the lunchbox style locker for the rear and one for the front? Should I get the ARB and be done spending? What kind of out the door cost am I looking at for the ARB anyway, including install and everything needed? The friggin locker alone costs $750. :roll: For the cost of an ARB I might be able to get a lunchbox and the bumper.

Should I get new gears and be done spending? I am a greenhorn and a half when it comes to gears. No idea of the cost of product or install. :oops:

I need people's experiences with lockers ( I am not entirely sure of all the locker options out there even), people's experiences before and after regearing and how does regearing help off road? What gears are better than others and where do I get em and can I do the install? And I need people with the RL rear to tell me what they think of it and if it is worth the dinero. I need help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

I voted the front & rear lunchbox lockers. But I say if there's enough cash left, then get the gears too.

Fwiw, a friend of mine (a GM Corvette mechanic) was looking at my diffs last week when I had them open and remarked how easy it would be to install the PowerTrax lockers. I'm thinking that is something I too will want to do now that I've decided to keep the KJ. Especially the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

first there is no lunchbox style locker for the front only the ARB and DTT and they would both need to be professional installed it sounds like, I paid $300 I believe for my DTT installed

as far as 4.10 gears thats on my list and has been for a little while but you are lookcing as $216 for the front gears and $150 for the rear and then $200 for the rebuild kit for the diffs (thats counting both) and then a professional to install which the guy I always go to for the stuff I cant do was gonna only charge me $400-500 I cant remember for sure right now

but I would say either gears or lockers front and rear

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Man, 47 views and 5 votes... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lol give it time it hasnt even been posted for 2 hrs yet, I voted for front and rear lockers b/c they make a huge difference.

what are you thinking about getting for the rear? I emailed Aussie again last night and I havent heard back yet but I think Im prolly gonna end up going with the DTT although its about $200 more than the Aussie :( and I wont be able to install it myself

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did not vote.....................

If you want 4.10's you just as well save the money to do it right the first time and not pay double labor.Get lockers and gears at the same time,labor will be cheaper.You can not use a lunchbox locker in the front D30A,ARB's F/R or TT/ARB(F/R) is the best choice,you can also get the front TT and rear Detriot as this is another great combo for a little less coin then a ARB.A TT/ARB combo with 4.10's is very doable for $2000.

I personally would get gears/lockers first.Getting the RL rear bumber is a great idea also but you will go on the waiting list until production starts back up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Not sure what I want for the rear. I might do the DTT, might do the powertrax. Powertrax is cheap and is supposed to work well. Is the DTT a selectable? Not sure what I want for the front either. If I had to choose either front or rear to be selectable, I'd rather have the front that way. The ARB is good, of course, but will eat up all the money I wanted to spend and maybe then some. I want the $ to go as far as possible.

Just bummed that a bunch of people viewed the thread and decided not to vote is all.

At least you gave some input Troy. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I would do an ARB rear locker over a lunch box style given the money.
If doing the front , you have to pull the diff out, (easy to do but still have to do it) so I would do the gears as well at the same time. So maybe over the budget but ..its only money.
Also I would go gears and lockers BEFORE the rear bumper. Although I would give the left one for it, I would rather have lockers/gears than the bumper.

a good while back one of the founding fathers of LOST posted the best setups as far as lockers go (or I think he was the one who posted it but

choices.....front......rear
1...............ARB.......ARB
2...............DTT.......ARB
3...............ARB.......DTT
4...............DTT.......DTT
5...............DTT.......Powertrax

maybe that will help you come up with THE FINAL ANSWER :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Good stuff tom, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Where do I get the gears from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubusmike wrote:
Where do I get the gears from?
Reider Racing will have the best prices for the gears and install kits,you have to call them and they do not list the D30A gears on ther website either but they have them.You will need install kits also,get the ones with new ring gear bolts,very important to use new ring gear bolts.

Precision Gears and Dana/Spicer make D30A gears.Precision Gears,Dana/Spicer,or Yukon gears are the best out there.

The DTT is not selectable but is the best LSD on the market,has the most preloaded torque(meaning it "locks" more often and faster),no friction modifier needed,and no clutches to wear out..Don't rule out the Detriot locker either,very dependable locker though it is not selectable.I loved the DTT up front and you can't beat the ARB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 pm 
LOST Addict

So you'd go DTT over the Detroit Locker? What's the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubusmike wrote:
So you'd go DTT over the Detroit Locker? What's the difference?
For the front I would use the DTT,or the ARB,the Detriot will not work for the D30A.I would pick the Detriot for the rear over the DTT(or any lunchbox locker),but not over a ARB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, sorry I was asking about the rear for the the TT and the Detroit. I think I may have to wait on the front locker and just do gears and a rear Detroit. But even then I am looking at around $1,200 before install. Image

This sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubusmike wrote:
Yeah, sorry I was asking about the rear for the the TT and the Detroit. I think I may have to wait on the front locker and just do gears and a rear Detroit. But even then I am looking at around $1,200 before install. Image

This sucks.
Your lucky that the D30A gears are way cheaper now then 3 years ago when I did my 4.10's.4.10's for the D30A where $700 alone,dealership item only and about $300+ for the install kit,so I opted to buy a whole D30A with 4.10's already installed(then added the DTT myself) at a tune of $1400 for the D30A alone,at least I started with a completely brand new front diff at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm 
LOST Addict

So when you go to 4.10s how does it change things off road? MPGs on highway and city?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubusmike wrote:
So when you go to 4.10s how does it change things off road? MPGs on highway and city?
I returns your crawl ratio's close to stock and I saw a 2-3mpg increase both in city and highway driving.Just remember yoru speedo will be off again and it will be harder to get it back into spec compared to just changing a tire size and keeping the same gear ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, I am getting gears. I just need to decide which rear locker to get. The rear bumper would have been so much easier. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am currently searching for a good deal on a PowerTrax No-Slip for the rear. I will do the front (DTT) another time. I also want to order a lift soon.

Keep us posted what you do. I will too (in another thread).

Last edited by CrossBones on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 pm 

incubusmike wrote:
Well, I am getting gears. I just need to decide which rear locker to get. The rear bumper would have been so much easier. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes the RL rear bumper would be way easier to install wouldn't it !!!!!!

but gears and locker(s) will be better in the long run :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next