It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would you choose a Defender or Wrangler?
Defender 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Wrangler 74%  74%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Defender or Wrangler?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:32 pm 
I live here
I live here

I saw some LR Defenders in Aspen this week. They are sweet and do a great job off-roading.

If you know anything about them and if you were offered to pick one for free, which would you choose, Defender or Wrangler?

Please explain your answer.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject: Re: Defender or Wrangler?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
I live here
I live here

You can pick any version of the model Defender also.

Check them out here (click on each tab...i.e. pickup, station wagon, utility wagon, etc...)
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/defender/explore/hard-top/

Wrangler options:
http://www.jeep.com/en/2010/wrangler/

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The defenders are nice, I have seen a couple up close. But a wonder how hard it is to find parts. So I chose a wrangler.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:08 am 
LOST Member

GOT TO STICK WITH JEEP

k&n cold air intake
Rage roof rack
ultra 16in rims

To come:wheel spacers ,window tint, and off road lights on roof rack, last thing is a arb bumper and wintch
words of wisdom> If she aint 280 she aint a lady haha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:13 am 
I choose the Wrangler, but I DEF like the looks of the Defender 110 double-cab pickup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

Until i can get a diesel Wrangler here Defender 90 turbo diesel here i come. Highly capable off road right out of the box and DIESEL. Plus i can get a truck style defender with the diesel with a heavy suspension. Plus i can get it as nice or plain as i want it and still get the best 4 wheel drive system around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:20 am 
LOST Member

kskj wrote:
But a wonder how hard it is to find parts. So I chose a wrangler.

This.

If I'm wheelin' in the states, then the Wrangler. Plenty of other Wrangler folks on the trails and if something breaks or goes wrong it shouldn't be to much of a hassle to get it fixed. Parts are plentiful and not that exspensive. I don't know if that would be the case for the Rover. They are cool looking rigs though and I wouldn't mind having one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:56 am 
I live here
I live here

Keep in mind, you cannot buy a new Defender here in the states. You can buy one overseas and have it shipped to the USA but after you pay out your poop hole to get it up to USA specs. That is law.

You can however buy one that is 25+ yrs old w/o getting the specs required by current law.

I have seen so many Defenders this week (more than I had seen in the previoous 6 yrs combined). I saw one tonight that was really badazz looking.

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not voting but if you like paying a premium for parts and having the vehicle break down often by all means get a Rover.They look cool but a pain to keep running,and just think the older Rovers are using a copy of the Buick all alloyt 225 V8(they bought the rights from Buick).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:22 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Not voting but if you like paying a premium for parts and having the vehicle break down often by all means get a Rover.They look cool but a pain to keep running,and just think the older Rovers are using a copy of the Buick all alloyt 225 V8(they bought the rights from Buick).

Sure do. A friend has one with that motor and I have helped him work on it several times. Helped him put a winch on it. Helped him with cooling problems. (I should say-tried to help him) Anyway, he is on first name basis with the Rover tech at the dealership. Not saying they are bad.....just saying.

I do like the Defender 80 though.

All in all, I would pick Jeep.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

I can puick up Defenders all day long ussually from the 80s up without a problem. Yes they come at a higher price but still would have to take the rover. And i am a CRD driver so little quirks are just something else fun for me to do. I enjoy doing automotive work when i don't have to and i don't want a V8 version i want the Turbo diesel with that wonderful fuel mileage. I mean don't get me wrong i love my Liberty and if i were to get a Land Rover i would be keeping the liberty. Just don't love the new jeep wranglers a mini van V-6 instead of the old I-6 is not the best thing jeep has ever done in my book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I picked the Defender due to one thing, the next ride I buy will be shipped to Tanzania sooner or later. You can't drive 500 foot without seeing one and parts are easy to get and cheap as well. Several places have two or three just sitting thats been wrecked or something, so parts are there
If I were to be staying in the states forever then a Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 am 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
I picked the Defender due to one thing, the next ride I buy will be shipped to Tanzania sooner or later. You can't drive 500 foot without seeing one and parts are easy to get and cheap as well. Several places have two or three just sitting thats been wrecked or something, so parts are there

Cheaper to buy one here and have it shipped to Tanzania than to just buy one over there? Just wondering?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Why wrangle with the question? Just get a Wrangler :jester:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:00 pm 

Albert wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Cheaper to buy one here and have it shipped to Tanzania than to just buy one over there? Just wondering?

Shipping is not a problem really, my wife's best friend owns her own company that has shipments of cars etc coming in all of the time. She said when we were ready to get 2- 40 footers and fill them up!
Plus I'll have to check it over here, mod it the way I want etc. right hand drive all the way!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
LOST Member

wrangler is more comfortable and roomy, the engine has little more power then the new model defenders.
Defender's i must say have better suspension far more rigid frame. and the new ones have that cool traction control
defenders concord Africa
but Jeeps won the war(more recently the moab)
jeep wranglers have neveer had a faulty model
defenders have had many.
good god i cant choose.

I think i will take the jeep only because i fit in them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:16 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

kskj wrote:
The defenders are nice, I have seen a couple up close. But a wonder how hard it is to find parts. So I chose a wrangler.

parts are easy. british atlantic...but...they are only sold in england now, sooooo...its expensive here

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been fond of LR 4 door pu's so if i had to choose a LR that's what it would be

my gf's needing a new car in the next few years, I'll probably get her a 2d wrangler sport with very few options then put a mild build on it

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
kskj wrote:

parts are easy. british atlantic...but...they are only sold in england now, sooooo...its expensive here

x2....like BA. :D

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Land Rover is for the serious enthusiast.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.