It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What tint percentage would you recommend I install on my KJ?
20% All Around (Minus The Windshield) With 5% Eyebrow 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
35% All Around (Minus The Windshield) With 5% Eyebrow 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Other (Please Specify) 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: 20% vs. 35% Window Tint
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:01 am 
LOST Newbie

jimkelly wrote:
With the history of window regulator problems on the KJ I would stay away with anything that goes in the track, besides the back windows look silly with only a partial deflector. I have the AVS adhesive type. In fact on my last four cars before the Jeep I also had them. Always one of my first mods. Never had a problem with the adhesive, it's all in the surface prep. On one vehicle I did have the track type and did not like them. They moved, made the window push in just alittle when it hit the deflector, froze together in the winter with ice and snow.

As far as distance the window can be rolled down (without getting wet) between the in track and the adhesive ones is minimal. My vote is for adhesive type

Yes they do make a difference, as you can have your windows open in inclimate weather without getting wet.

I agree, the rear windows do look funny with only partial deflectors. I posted that link to mainly show what I was talking about. I am actually considering Mopar's Side Window Air Deflectors, since they cover the entire rear window: http://tiny.cc/9nar4.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

The business I am having tint my windows uses the Global Window Films High Performance film. Does anyone have any experience with this film?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 pm 
LOST Member

if your trying to hide stuff get 5% thats wat im getting ill post pics

k&n cold air intake
Rage roof rack
ultra 16in rims

To come:wheel spacers ,window tint, and off road lights on roof rack, last thing is a arb bumper and wintch
words of wisdom> If she aint 280 she aint a lady haha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

jeep4life7 wrote:
if your trying to hide stuff get 5% thats wat im getting ill post pics

I considered going with 5% all around minus the windshield and two front doors, but I decided to go with 20% for two reasons: 1) In my Acura with 20%, it is hard as hell seeing out at night. I have to roll down my windows when I back-up and can just imagine how bad it would be with 5%. 2) I hate the look of different tint percentages from the rear to the front. There's no way I am going to tint my front windows 5% to match the rear since the legal limit in my state is only 50%.

The business is coming out to my residence tomorrow to tint my windows. I will post some pics once I install my other mods...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
LOST Member

I've been tinting for ten years... My personal choice for your situation would be 20% on the back, to look OEM. then 35% on the front. why? becuase the 50%, while legal, is too light in my opinion. the 20% is too dark when your state law says you need 50%. i'd go 35% and take my chances if i were you. otherwise, stick with what's legal, i don't know how much the fine in MN is, but in WI its $180. i got it twice in my lexus. i think 35% still looks the best though on the fronts.

However, if you get a good tint, the benefits (heat & UV Protection) will be nearly the same between the 50% and 20%, so if your going for heat/UV protection, won't really matter what you put on. if you're going for looks, it's completely up to you. i just feel 20% on the fronts is too dark. and yes, my eyesight is perfect 20/10 :-)

as for eyebrow... 20% is what i prefer. the 5% is a bit dark and looks goofy in my opinion. and 35% too light.

all that being said... i have kept to legal limits after getting the fine twice. the GFs mercedes & focus are both legal (50%f/35%r) my STi was legal, and now the jeep has 50% on the front per the GFs request, since she'll be driving it more this winter, and she works at the cop-shop!!! otherwise, i was going to go back to 35% on the jeep for sure, but not with her working right there.

to summarize...
20% back
35% front
20% visor
and make sure you get a good 2ply metallic or hybrid film. NOT a dyed-only film.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went with 20% fronts and no brow.....love it and it matches the rest of the tint perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:14 pm 
LOST Member

Carmodifier wrote:
How do you guys feel about adding side window deflectors [http://tiny.cc/tk76p]? I am considering purchasing a dark tint front and rear set. Do you guys like the look of them? To those who have them installed, do they actually make a difference?

you might as well drive a mexivan school bus