FORD 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
GM 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Other 73%  73%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Jeep Direction
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you all had a choice back in the day before DC acquired AMC and the Jeep Brand, would you have preferred any of the other Auto makers ie Ford or GM to have acquired Jeep. If so and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

No way! Ford is struggling right now and GM is possibly the least efficient company in the world. I don't think any other company could have done a better job with the jeep brand.

(See: Land rover and ford/hummer and gm for proof)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wonder if there would be no H2/H3 if GM bought Jeep back in the day. I know alot of people hate them, but the H3 is one nice vehicle.. I wouldn't mind one in my garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If GM had bought Jeep then that might have been OK for quality (had good luck with all the Pontiacs I've had) but if Ford had bought Jeep you'd be under it all the time trying to fix something rather than improve it.

**Prior Jeeps**
Wranglers 1989, 1998, 2005
Liberty 2003 & 2004 Renegade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Considering it was not DaimlerChrysler that acquired American Motors, but the Chrysler Corporation. The Chrysler Corporation in my opinion did fairly well at keeping Jeep, Jeep. DaimlerChrysler on the other hand has not. As you can see by it's introduction of the Dodge Nitro.
How long will it be before all DC's line-up will be virtually the same? Even the Wrangler will be built upon the same framework as is the KJ.

We all like new technology, but let Jeep be Jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

IMO.. Ford has messed up everything they bought.. Like Land Rover.. Land Rover used to be known for their off road capabilities and ruggedness.. But now.. Forget about it... Also.. If GM would have bought Jeep, Jeep might have been moved over and be like every other GM products.. Just copies of it's self... Like the Camero and Firebird/Trans Am... Cavalier and Sunbird... Olds, Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, etc all shared the same frame and engines.. Other then the nose and tail.. It is the same cars, engines, doors, interiors... That is one thing I have liked about DC so far.. Jeep has been pretty much left alone so far.. But now look at the new 2007 cars.. I can see where DC is starting to move towards being like GM.. I hope they don't move towards that direction.. Jeeps have been known for their uniqueness.. Toughness.. Jeepness.. :D If they use engines from different cars.. That is fine.. Jeeps have had all kinds of engines in it's lifetime.. From Ford engines in WWII to Buick engines, to Ford engines (my uncles 78 Cherokee Cheif had a Ford 300 straight 6 in it), to GM engines... When AMC bought Jeep, AMC did put in mostly AMC motors into Jeeps... I remember when Chrysler first bought AMC.. Everyone was worried that the Jeep would be doomed.. But it wasn't.. Jeep hasn't had better sales in years.. The TJ is a very hot item.. That is why they are so expensive.. The KJ last year was the number one selling SUV in it's class... As long as DC keeps in mind that Jeep has a loyal following and to keep Jeep as a Jeep.. Then all will be fine.. If they try to fix that which isn't broken, then Jeep will die off and it will be a very sad day...

Sorry for the rant...

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not a rant. Its what I was looking for. I am very curious to hear everyones thoughts on this subject.

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:14 am 
LOST Member

[quote="MojaveDesertKJ"] Even the Wrangler will be built upon the same framework as is the KJ. [quote]

You sir are incorrect. The Wrangler is still its own unique animal.

As far as models sharing platforms is concerned, it is a good way to maximize profit and enables a company to more easily roll out new models etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

chemguy wrote:
MojaveDesertKJ wrote:
Even the Wrangler will be built upon the same framework as is the KJ.
Quote:

You sir are incorrect. The Wrangler is still its own unique animal.

As far as models sharing platforms is concerned, it is a good way to maximize profit and enables a company to more easily roll out new models etc...

Read again. I did not say "is"

~

Last edited by MojaveDesertKJ on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:49 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Screw 'em all, AMC should have been given a gov contract to build Jeeps for the gov like Dodge got to keep it afloat!!!

Chrysler did all right... DC, well... As allready stated, way too much plat form sharing. yes it is cheaper and easier and more profitable, but c'mon, Jeeps dash shouldn't look like a mercedes dash board!!

I understand they are trying to get a broader customer base with different models, but don't abandon the core, that compass thing looks like what the EAGLE could have evolved into... Remember those things... They went away for a reason, let it rest in pieces!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Newbie

USAFCOP wrote:
Screw 'em all, AMC should have been given a gov contract to build Jeeps for the gov like Dodge got to keep it afloat!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've thought that very same thing. My first boat in high school was a 1961 Rambler Classic. Not much of a looker, but the darn thing was an anvil on wheels. Couldn't break it no matter how hard I tried. I now have five Jeeps. Three AMC, one Chrysler and one DC. There's a reason that Chrysler didn't need to deviate much from the old AMC design. I am the first to admit that my KJ handles much better on the highway than does any of my XJ's, but isn't it funny how a lot of the KJ owners are thinking how nice it would be to have had the option of a solid front axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:08 am 
This member has been Banned

GM has done a lot for the Jeep so far and kept up the tradition. Remember the Hummer is a AMC jeep and the H2 & H3 are a mix of chevy and jeep. Great vehicle.

So I guess GM :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

the1jferg wrote:
GM has done a lot for the Jeep so far and kept up the tradition. Remember the Hummer is a AMC jeep and the H2 & H3 are a mix of chevy and jeep. Great vehicle.

So I guess GM :)

What in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks are you talking about? I feel like I'm reading a post typed by that cartoon character Boomhauer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:mrgreen: :-)r :shock: :-)r

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.