It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you really go off roading with a BRAND NEW Libby???
Hell Yeah - that's what it's made for! 88%  88%  [ 170 ]
Uh - no - I feel the same as you for now :) 12%  12%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 193
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Mine was out in the dirt with the paper license plates on it. Thats what a Jeep is for !

8)

Parking lot scratchs suck...but offroad scratches come with the territory. Thats what they make paint for !

Post subject: Here you go
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJ had all the mod parts even before he had received his KJ. That thing was lifted, larger tires, Boulder Barred, and ready to go within the first few days of its life. Been wheeling for that day on. Later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

When we brought the KJ home the first day I turned left off the driveway and headed up the hill into the woods.

When we bought the TJ it had 345 miles on it. At 400 miles I replaced the tires with MT's and when we got to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari it had about 600 miles on it.

I bought both of them to offroad and that is what we do.

The worst scratch on the TJ is from following Clint's spotting while going through "The Squeeze" in Moab. I need to teach him to watch for fender flares and rocks!

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:29 pm 

Within 24 hours we went rock crawling (stupidly without a lift or armor). After hitting the front diff on pretty much every rock I attempted to drive over I started to research lifts and armor...got LOST and the rest is history. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Got mine two months ago. First trip out of the dealership, was to put some real tires. Second outing was directly to a difficult off road circuit close by, with lots of trees and bushes around, several river crossings, etc. 20 miles total.

Needless to say, I was feeling kind of "hurt" during that outing, specially while watching and hearing all those branches scratching the fenders, doors, etc.

Believe me, that night, I was not a happy man. It was not fun having a brand new Libby, looking like a ten year old rig after its maiden voyage.

Anyway, I clenched my teeth, smiled, and got it right to the car wash the day after. Later, got a good sweat polishing all the scratches, and..... WOW. It was like new again !! The paint quality is great!! After that, I got used to polish it every quarter, and forget about it.

So far, yes, there are some scratches barely visible, but in all, the painting is in pretty good condition. Maybe some day I'll get it to some body detailing or something, but not for many months now....

Enjoy your rig. That's what it was designed for....

2005 Liberty Sport 4X4 - Rock Rails - Frankenlift
- Ranchos RSX - 245/75/16 BFG AT KO - Full skids - Rock Rails - True Trac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:33 am 
LOST Member

Or we can just apply Rhino Lining to the entire Libby. But where's the fun in that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:02 am 
LOST Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Last edited by longarm on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 am 
LOST Member

I took my jeep out after about 3 weeks of it. I think this was what I did as soon as I was 500 miles on the vehicle.
http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/9-6-04/

By far, use it while you have it. About a month after I did that, I got more body damage then some people have gotten rolling their jeep just by leaving my car in the parking lot.
http://www.thechucklesstart.com/Storm/LibertyStorms.htm

Lesson Learned: no matter how hard you try to keep it in good shape, it will get broken. Might as well have fun with it until then. Just don't run it into the ground (literally or figativly).

To be honest, now that I have gotten it fixed, I miss all of that hail damage. I don't miss it leaking water, but I do miss the look of the KJ all beat to ..... Whatever damage you do to it, you will start to like, and if you ever get it fixed, you might even find yourself missing it. It adds character and makes the jeep yours, but at the same time, so does keeping it meticulously clean (it just happens slower).

I should go to bed now, this is entirely too much ......

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:31 am 
I live here
I live here

Holy mackerel! That was some serious hail damage! That should settle it for you. You will suffer more damage from mother nature or idiot drivers (i.e. door dings) than off-roading. Go have fun off-roading. At least if you get a dent, you EARNED it and have a story for it.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

OMG I've heard of hail damage... but WOW that's some serious damage!

I have a new Rene.. and I have yet to earn a scratch on it! I figured once I get the one scratch then my paranoia will go away and I will really be able to enjoy off roading :)

L.O.S.T #000718

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:22 am 
LOST Addict

I was out wheeling in my 05 already.

I figure it's going to stop being perfect and new pretty soon after it's off the dealers lot anyway, I may as well make sure the first ding is from a tree branch and not a soccer mom who doesn't watch her doors in the parking lot.

(Or some guy kicking in my panel!! see my photos for details on that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

waited 5 months and wheeled @ paragon , got a lot of rub marks from "green" trees , tried to get em out and now I am over it just went to GWNF had a blast , I don't wash the mud off either until everyone has seen it! so now I have some rub marks oh well as David said badges of honor ! If anyone is gonna dent ding or scratch my renny it will be me doing what I want , it wont happen in my work parking lot! get her out there and get muddy ! its made for it ! ( ps , mine's leased! ) :wink:

L.O.S.T member #071300
04' Renny Black 5 speed
all the stuff that came with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:06 pm 

Read below the line at the bottom. Says it all. No point in having something if you aren't going to fully enjoy it.

Last edited by KJTX on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got it high-centered in a dirt lot about 2 hours after picking it up from the dealership. It had 96 miles on it. Some guys in a CJ got it on video (with a nice shot of the ODO to boot). In my defense, I probably wouldn't have high-centered if it weren't for the useless side steps they put on the 02 Rene..

As far as body damage on a new vehicle goes, the ding some a-hole left by opening their car door into the Jeep when it was about two months old bothers me a lot- the pinstiping from the trails that goes up and down the doors doesn't bother me at all!!

Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler
245/70R16 Yokohama Geolandar AT+II Tires
Manik Tail Light Guards
K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Mopar Class III Hitch w/Warn Receiver Shackle
3 D-Cell Mag and Husky Liners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Muddy in the first 500 miles!!

L.O.S.T.#MJ064206
Owings Mills, Maryland
Sport 05
Black
2 L.O.S.T. Stickers
Hook and Hitch added

kjlostcookbook@gmail.com
The L.O.S.T. Cookbook is in the works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got mine two days ago...the first day I was on an adrenaline rush, there was this hill that I NEEDED to conquer. I did and then we put about 15 more miles on her just trying to "test her limits.
Yesterday though, I took her out with 2 TJs and she held her own. We were crossing a wash and the trees were crowding the trail...the noise made me cringe, it actually gave me goosebumps!!! A little Arizona pinstriping never hurt anyone I guess.
Today...I will find the mud, that really goey stuff...mmmmmm :D

I upgraded from a 4x2 for a reason... and I keep reminding myself everyday!
~Bethany

Ipod in the dash receiver... never have to listen to radio again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got my 2005 Rene last saturday, it already has 500+ miles on it, and hasn't seen a trail yet, but i hope to be able to take it out this weekend before i get the soccer-mom-parking-lot-dent! :)

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:04 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

btolle wrote:
The worst scratch on the TJ is from following Clint's spotting while going through "The Squeeze" in Moab. I need to teach him to watch for fender flares and rocks!

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Bill,
You should know by now that Clint's vision is impaired. He can't see rocks.
When he looks at a trail, he just sees a smooth gravel road :wink:

Ed

Post subject: re: new Libby off road etc...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

did you buy it to go to work home church and store or did you buy it to have fun with?
What I mean is when I bought my 91 G.T. I was a little worried about hook'n it up to go fast, kick my buddys butt at Capital etc... but thats why I bought a G.T.
When I bought my first Jeep, a 1980 CJ-5 I jumped right in and built it to get broken rebuilt etc...
With the Liberty I need to go to work in it so I will off road with it and scratches are the reason god created touch-up paint. However if it looks like a potential to break something more than a weeks pay to fix I'll go around it... at least till D/C doesn't own part of it!
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

i dunno...but having a 4x4 jeep and not wheeling it is kinda like drinking decaffeinated coffee or non-alcoholic beer. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next