It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K&N Void warranty?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:49 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

I took my KJ in to the DC service dept. today and noticed a new, large sign on the wall: something to the effect that any performance enhancing modification done to Daimler Chrysler products will void the warranty. "More Power Means Less Warranty." They specified K&N and other air intake systems. Anyone hear anything about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:44 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

That is a bunch of baloney....
it probably voids the warranty on that part - meaning air intake system? - but how in hell is it going to void the warranty on the suspension? Just an example.

I put a new Flowmaster 50 SUV and took the KJ for an oil change to dealer - yes - dealer still cheaper - :) - so, the service manager who pretty well knows me already, heard the loud muffler and figured I had made changes to my exaust system and he said, oh well the goes your warranty on the exaust. In my case I did not care - my waranty on anything expired a while ago.

if you change your suspension, and add a lift, yes, your warranty on the suspension is voided - give'em that but the warranty on other parts is still valid.
Check with another dealer....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wonder if my liftkit is gunna affect the recall issue. I inatalled my Frankenlift before the recall was made public?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nope - The recall will still be done even with the lift. At least ours was.

Post subject: Re: K&N Void warranty?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

snowsport wrote:
I took my KJ in to the DC service dept. today and noticed a new, large sign on the wall: something to the effect that any performance enhancing modification done to Daimler Chrysler products will void the warranty. "More Power Means Less Warranty." They specified K&N and other air intake systems. Anyone hear anything about this?

I had a pre-lemon law meeting with DC reps concerning some CRD related issues. They were very specific about not using a K&N air filter on the CRD engine because the combination of the oil passing the turbocharger combined with the dirt that gets past a K&N makes a big mess inside the intercooler. That was for the CRD, didn't ask about the gassers.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" is a Federal Warranty law that applies to ALL vehicles.

Vehicle manufactures are bound by it and can't just go around voiding warranties unless you do something to the warrantied part itself and then only what you modified or something directly affected by it would not be warrantied..

Google for it and check it out and book-mark it for reference if you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,

K&N could void warranty since K&N does have the same spec as the OEM filter.

-G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:57 am 
LOST Member

Up here, well a least at my dealership, they are pretty good,they
will allow me a 3 inch lift, and any mod to the air intake system
provided I show the when I'm done. And will honor the factory
warranty.
I think because they also put this stuff on for you if you
ask at time of purchase..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is the problem with a K&N or other wet gauze type filter...If they put the filter and fine a coat of road grime/dust in the intake that is not normal, they would be within their rights to not honor part of a warranty. They would have to attribute the unfiltered air that the K&N let in caused damage to internal parts. It is not something that would out of the realm of possibilities. For that matter they could void some suspension/ball joint issues caused by too large a tire/wheel combination.

The good part is that they have to prove fairly convincingly that the modification was directly responsible for the failure. It is all pretty subjective...good judgement is your best friend.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:52 am 
This member has been Banned

And all they have to do is run their finger inside the intake tube because K&N don't come close to paper. You might have to be in dusty conditions to know this.

As for that "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Face it, if you are driving a liberty you ain't gonna hire a lawyer to enforce it are ya?

So the dealer gets away again. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I haven't had much experience with warranty repairs but I understand from friends of mine that warranty coverage can sometimes be very arbitrary depending on the dealership to get your service from. What's covered at one may not be covered at another.

I wish vehicle warranty conditions were clearer, in print so that we wouldn't void our warranties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Albert wrote:
The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" is a Federal Warranty law that applies to ALL vehicles.

Vehicle manufactures are bound by it and can't just go around voiding warranties unless you do something to the warrantied part itself and then only what you modified or something directly affected by it would not be warrantied..

Look in the warrenty book that comes with the owners manual,read it very carefully.Some vehicles manufactures(Ford is one) that states in the manual that any oiled air filter voids the complete warrenty.It's legal as long as it is stated,warrenty act or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Albert wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look in the warrenty book that comes with the owners manual,read it very carefully.Some vehicles manufactures(Ford is one) that states in the manual that any oiled air filter voids the complete warrenty.It's legal as long as it is stated,warrenty act or not.

They (Ford) must mean the entire engine warranty. They can only void the engine warranty if you put a K&N or any other aftermarket filter in and not anything elce unrelated to it. That's what the "Warranty Act" is all about. It is Federal Law and applies to all vehicles sold in the USA. Don't take my word for it, check it out.

FWIW, about a year or so ago I specifically asked the dealer about the K&N when I was thinking about one. They told me it would void the engine warranty. I then asked them about the rest of the warranty and they told me that as long as it wasn't affected by what I did the warranty would apply. Example - If a wheel bearing went bad it would be covered if still on warranty.