It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smelly A/C system?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by RedKJ: My wife and I went out Sunday afternoon to run a couple of errands. It was getting a little toasty in the car and instead of opening up the window on the freeway I turned on the air conditioner. I had to turn it off almost immediately when this awful stench was coming from the vents. I know that there is a TSB out to fix the problem, but I cannot find it. Can anyone help me out. Thanks, Dennis
Co-Founder of D&J Engineering

'02 Red Ltd KJ
A whole bunch of stuff with more in development.

L.O.S.T. # 000053

Dennis,

If I remember correctly the TSB included nothing more than the sprinkling of Baking soda into the vents...

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, it would be a good idea to go in and tell them your experience and aske them to tear out the ductwork from the evap coil to the passenger compartment. It sounds like there is some contamination of some sort in the system.

Good luck!
Daniel J.
2003 KJ Renegade

Posted by Liberty KJ:
A good idea is to make sure you never leave the HVAC system on recirculate. This causes the system to develop mold inside the ductwork....DC has a spray they can spray inside your vents to get rid of the mold, but it doesn't always work.

If you have your control set to recirc, make sure you turn it back to one of the fresh air settings before you turn off the vehicle.

-Anthony Long Island, NY

2003 KJ Sport 4X4
L.O.S.T. #000131

The above post is the best fix for smelly A/C systems.
Many dealers are suggesting that as a fix for new cars. On older cars there is a way to wash the evaporator of anny gunk that has built up on it. Of course that costs $$.

If you know of any other suggestions, please reply.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The info I am giving, you will think twice about taking your Jeep to a mechanic.... :lol: ! As a certified mechanic I learned a few cost cutting tricks along the way! The spray that the dealership puts into your vents is nothing more than LYSOL with a few extra chems that are not really nescesary! I have used this product on many cars (mostly Hondas and Toyotas). It is an easy task to perform. Simply turn on your Vents. Place the knob in the mix selection (not A/C), select 2nd speed on your fan then take your trusty can of LYSOL and spray it into the vent at the cowl ( below the windshield)! DONOT spray to much into the vents (you'll be smelling LYSOL for a bit and plus you dont want to introduce to much moisture into the vents because your trying to remove the Mold not create more)! Let your fan run for a few minutes to disperse the fumes and shut off the HVAC! If your not convinced this will work heres a link to a couple products that I have used from BG Products.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html

The Products are Frigi-Fresh and Frigi-Clean.
You can obtain these products from most Repair Shops or Find a dealer close to your area.

Brian