It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard downshift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I'm new to L.O.S.T. as of today. I have been reading the Forum and decided to post a few questions.

I have a 2003 Liberty Renegade. From the time it was new, I've noticed that when coasting to a stop, when the vehicle speed is very slow, the downshift into first is relatively hard. I just assumed that this was the nature of this automatic transmission. Is this normal or is there a problem. It has done this from the day I bought it new.

Also, when running in full-time four wheel drive, I've noticed that the torque converter locks up harder than when in two wheel drive. I am assuming it is the torque converter because it accures between 40 and 45 mph. Is this common?

I am a little disappointed in the fuel economy, especially because my '93 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L would deliver mileage as high as 24 mpg and with the large fuel tank would travel 400+ miles between fill-ups. My Liberty started out delivering 16 to 17 mpg in a mix of city/highway travel. Now, with almost 47,000 miles on the odometer, I regularly get 20 mpg around town but only 22 mpg on the highway. With the small fuel tank, I fill up every 300 miles, which means sometimes two to three times a week. This is really aggravating. It seem to me that the Liberty should get better fuel economy. Is it simply a matter of aerodynamics (frontal area too large)? Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Hard downshift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Renegade wrote:
Hi, I'm new to L.O.S.T. as of today. I have been reading the Forum and decided to post a few questions.

I am a little disappointed in the fuel economy, especially because my '93 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L would deliver mileage as high as 24 mpg and with the large fuel tank would travel 400+ miles between fill-ups. My Liberty started out delivering 16 to 17 mpg in a mix of city/highway travel. Now, with almost 47,000 miles on the odometer, I regularly get 20 mpg around town but only 22 mpg on the highway. With the small fuel tank, I fill up every 300 miles, which means sometimes two to three times a week. This is really aggravating. It seem to me that the Liberty should get better fuel economy. Is it simply a matter of aerodynamics (frontal area too large)? Any thoughts?

Well first of all WELCOME! HI! and Howdy! I'm not sure about your other questions regarding 4wheel drive and the tranny, but if you go to the Jeep website and go into their "for owners" link, you can type in your VIN number and check out if there are any recalls or TSB's out there for your Renegade. As for fuel economy, I'd be grinning from ear to ear if I got 20 around the town! I'm lucky to average 18 with mixed driving and 16 in the city. I think you'll find 16 an average number with other KJ owners around here. This is mainly because the jeep is quite a heavy vehicle (4000 pounds) and it does resemble a curvy brick.

Take it easy,

ADAM

L.O.S.T. Lifetime Member #0802
Borla Dual Exhaust, Sound system, Street Scene Grill
Peanut-Butter Mag Lite Mod, EVIC Install, K&N Air Filter
Custom Cactus Green Interior
Bridgestone A/T Revo Tires

Post subject: Re: Hard downshift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 pm 
LOST Member

ItalianBarista wrote:
and it does resemble a curvy brick

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:33 pm 
LOST Member

I had the hard downshift too. The dealer seemed to know about it and fixed it by flashing the computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Another newbie here, just joined yesterday. I just recently bought a 2003 liberty sport, and i am also noticing a hard downshit when slowing down or coasting that was not noticeable when i first test drove the libby. Ill be interested in what you find out to resolve my problem also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe a quick-learn can fix the bump shift. It involves resetting the CVI (clutch volume indexes) and can only be done by someone with a DRBIII (dealer or trans-shop). Should be no more than 40 dollars or half-hour labor. Its worth a try.

I had the exact same issue, but it occurred only after changing the tranny fluid. Quick-Learn fixed it completely. Might be something to consider.

Read this thread
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=14750