It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chrysler Service Contracts...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:44 pm 
LOST Member

Has anyone purchased one of these, I am having a problem with my 6-speed reverse gear it's a known TSB and it is supposed to be covered under warranty. But the dealership says they can't duplicate the problem, so they won't fix it. I have talked to corp. customer service and they have made record of the problem, and say that if it worsens when the warranty is up which is in about 100mi, they MAY be able to fix it for free. My question is, Has anyone bought a Chrysler Service Contract, are they worth it, what may be another option? I know I will have a problem with it in the future, and to pull and fix the tranny will be expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 pm 
LOST Member

I purchased one on my (brand new still) Liberty.
Since everything is very new, I cannot speak to the value of having it... my intention was for the Liberty to be a "drive and forget" vehicle, so the extended warranty was to try to keep it from requiring any modification effort and budget.
I have to admit, however, that the issue is that it's really hard to not want to make some upgrades, which have a trickle-through effect on other parts (extra weight bumpers affecting the suspension and hence the warranty).
My TJ has no such warranty, and so far everything that has broken or worn-out has been an excellent opportunity to upgrade. I recommend this approach unless your vehicle is simply going to be an on-road daily-driver, in which case, stay stock (and get the warranty extension).
Are you considering a transmission upgrade? If not, that would be another potential reason to go warranty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:33 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Any extended contract read through it really, really good, theres usually a lot of holes in them so that when something does happen they can weasel out. Place I used to work had me selling them for a short time, I felt bad ripping people off.
As far as lifts etc I never worry about the warranty, get the right dealer and they will most likely try and help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an extended warranty thru Chrysler and it covered replacing my spider gears when I destroyed them at the York PA Jeeps Show Obstacle Course.

L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.

Post subject: Re: Chrysler Service Contracts...
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 am 
LOST Member

I bought in just as my regular warranty expired. Then DC filed and I demanded a refund. They only refunded about half... $450, Then my AC went out and it cost me about $950.
Not many miles used on the AC.
I love my Liberty for many reasons but I am not happy with the LBJ and other component problem fixes for my low mileage use.
Next thing that goes bad will have me calling consumer advocates if Chrsler/Fiat does not step up to fix.
Overall, I used to not buy these extended plans but I do not know now since some things are beyond my 1980 mechanic skills now. :cry:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Liberty for All wrote:
I bought in just as my regular warranty expired. Then DC filed and I demanded a refund. They only refunded about half... $450, Then my AC went out and it cost me about $950.
Not many miles used on the AC.
I love my Liberty for many reasons but I am not happy with the LBJ and other component problem fixes for my low mileage use.
Next thing that goes bad will have me calling consumer advocates if Chrsler/Fiat does not step up to fix.
Overall, I used to not buy these extended plans but I do not know now since some things are beyond my 1980 mechanic skills now. :cry:

Things break,things wearout,things have a life span.5 years on a A/C system is far above average.I've worked as a Tech for almost 14 years now and can list other automakers that have far worse problems then Jeeps do.Every vehicle suffers from breakages,failures,and many have there own unique problems,not one is perfect so no use complaining about it.

Don't look at Fiat for any answer but "tough luck",they are very strict about what is defined as a warranty issue and what most of us have been accustomed to as being in warranty is all but over with Fiat and the burden of proof is on the consumer now.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

isutherl wrote:
Has anyone purchased one of these, I am having a problem with my 6-speed reverse gear it's a known TSB and it is supposed to be covered under warranty. But the dealership says they can't duplicate the problem, so they won't fix it. I have talked to corp. customer service and they have made record of the problem, and say that if it worsens when the warranty is up which is in about 100mi, they MAY be able to fix it for free. My question is, Has anyone bought a Chrysler Service Contract, are they worth it, what may be another option? I know I will have a problem with it in the future, and to pull and fix the tranny will be expensive.

Been there, done that. They wont fix squat for free. I ended up paying a $100 deductable for my "free" fix I was telling them about for months. Too bad I found the "right" dealership after my warranty ran out, Chrysler customer service will tell you what you want to hear but doesn't stand behind squat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

You can only know the value of what you have invested in only when the time comes that you must shell out the deductible to pay for a repair that exceeds your budget.