It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: BALL JOINTS AGAIN...WATCH THEM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man I hate for this issue to come up again... but we have had 2 members ball joints fail. One is an 02 that had the ball joint recall done.

The other is an 04 and it also had the ball joint recall check.

I checked my 04 today and one of them is just wasted. I am going to change them myself because I dont want all the hassles at the dealer. My jeep has over 42000 miles.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK YOURS BEFORE THEY FAIL.

I also want to say..the old ball joints and the new ones are the same...The boot color does not matter...Their were posts that if you had a certain color ball joint boot...they were new and better ball joints...THIS IS 100% UNTRUE.

AGAIN. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS OR HAVE THEM CHECKED. GET IT IN WRITTING THAT YOU HAD THEM CHECKED FOR PROOF LATER DOWN THE ROAD.

I know this is a real pain in the butt but at least we have a heads up on this issue. Later...clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:16 pm 
LOST Member

call me a noob, but i'm sure others on here are asking the same thing, how can you check them for premature wearing?

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:22 pm 

Clint, I assume you mean lowers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2003KJ wrote:
call me a noob, but i'm sure others on here are asking the same thing, how can you check them for premature wearing?

I was wondering the same thing. I just ran out and looked at mine and they seem to appear to be fine???

Maybe a picture of a bad one clint?

thanks

-nick

Lost lifetime member - NB060402 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Or some other symptoms that might be indicative of an impending failure that we should be aware of. I notice a slight side to side shake in my steering at highway speed. When I mentioned it to someone, they suggested I get the ball joints checked. And I was only thinking I needed to have my tires balanced. Is this a symptom of a bad ball joint?

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:30 pm 
LOST Member

I replaced my lowers with a set of MOOG and they sure look a heck of a lot beefier and they have a grease fitting. :D I am having the uppers replaced under warranty by the dealer and they even commented that they look much better and the service manager mentioned that with the grease fitting, I should get a lot more miles out of them. But, that MOOG is also a good brand. The upper's will be replaced some time the end of this month when they come in.

Good Luck to all of you. I plan on replacing my uppers with a set from JeepinAL when they go out next time. This will be my third set of uppers with just over 70K on the libby now.

Post subject: ball joint failure
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

When the ball joints are begining to fail they make a sort of low rumble,, or vibration. You feel it in the steering wheel and your feet. I just had my ball joints replaced for free at the dealer. The recall is still on

George

3" Lift 265 Cooper Discoverer S/T
Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

The difference between me and a madman is: I'm not mad! (Salvador Dali)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:44 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

would this be a lift kit problem :?: or just from wheelin :?: plan on gettin Frankenlift in the very near future (spring)

L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No...guys were having problems with ball joint failures even stock. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1calkid wrote:
I replaced my lowers with a set of MOOG and they sure look a heck of a lot beefier and they have a grease fitting. :D I am having the uppers replaced under warranty by the dealer and they even commented that they look much better and the service manager mentioned that with the grease fitting, I should get a lot more miles out of them. But, that MOOG is also a good brand. The upper's will be replaced some time the end of this month when they come in.

Good Luck to all of you. I plan on replacing my uppers with a set from JeepinAL when they go out next time. This will be my third set of uppers with just over 70K on the libby now.

What part number do you have for the MOOG's K3199 ?
These ?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 66&ptset=A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hope this helps to check them...
Place a floor jack under the lower control arm and jack the tire up about 3 in. off the ground.

Be very careful but place a pry bar of 2X4 under the tire.

Lift up and see if you feel any bump in the ball joint but also watch the ball joint. if you see any movement in the lower ball joint it should be replaces ASAP.

If it fails it will do a lot of damage but if it fails while going down the hwy or at any speed this could be a very serious problem.

Please guys... if you have over 30000 miles on your KJ check the lower ball joints. Later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

skrracing wrote:
Hope this helps to check them...
Place a floor jack under the lower control arm and jack the tire up about 3 in. off the ground.

Be very careful but place a pry bar of 2X4 under the tire.

Lift up and see if you feel any bump in the ball joint but also watch the ball joint. if you see any movement in the lower ball joint it should be replaces ASAP.

If it fails it will do a lot of damage but if it fails while going down the hwy or at any speed this could be a very serious problem.

Please guys... if you have over 30000 miles on your KJ check the lower ball joints. Later...Clint

Just tried the way you described and no movement so far. Didn't have the long of a pry bar (only about 2 feet) but I pull pretty hard and didn't see of feel any movement. There was a little movement from side to side, but it looked like the the entire tie-rod was moving with the wheel and no movement at the tie-rod end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:39 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

My right lower ball joint completly failed last week in a gas station just after a weekend run pulling out from the pumps. If this happened on the trail it would have been a hefty tow charge. If it failed on the highway I might not be writing this post. I consider myself very lucky. There was no vibrations in the floor or stearing. I have a 2003 with 66,000 miles on it and had the dealer check the ball joints during the recall. The only warning you may have is to visually check them or better yet, have the dealer replace or sign off on them. I've owned all kinds of vehicles for over 35 years and some with over 150,000 miles on them and never, not one of those cars and trucks ever had a complete failure such as this. It is a design problem and you have to be aware and not count on C/D to watch out for you. I'm pissed at myself for not checking them sooner and at C/D for not fixing the problem.

Please, check your jeep this week!

KJWest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

i have a question, what happens when a ball joint completely fails?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:24 am 
I live here
I live here

What recall? What years are covered?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:08 am 
LOST Newbie

this again.. darn.. i got so worried the first time. check them tomorrow i guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:17 am 
LOST Addict

fiend wrote:

The upper / lower ball joints are what keep the spindle attached to the upper / lower control arms. The joint is shaped similar to a ball to allow for movement during turning and suspension articulation. The spindle ultimatly holds the wheel in place.... when one of these ball joints lets go, you essentially lose one of your wheels.

If it happens at highway speeds.... There is probably no recovery since you will lose all control of the front of your Jeep.

I didn't know that there was any issues with the joint. Thanks guys! I might as well replace them and be done with it.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What part number do you have for the MOOG's K3199 ?
These ?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 66&ptset=A
Is this the right #

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sleeve84028 wrote:
fiend wrote:

The upper / lower ball joints are what keep the spindle attached to the upper / lower control arms. The joint is shaped similar to a ball to allow for movement during turning and suspension articulation. The spindle ultimatly holds the wheel in place.... when one of these ball joints lets go, you essentially lose one of your wheels.

If it happens at highway speeds.... There is probably no recovery since you will lose all control of the front of your Jeep.

I didn't know that there was any issues with the joint. Thanks guys! I might as well replace them and be done with it.

Is that stock RS-A or SR-A in your sig. box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:36 am 
LOST Addict

WV(0)IIIIIII(0) wrote:
Is that stock RS-A or SR-A

I bought one of the first liberty's manufactured... it indeed came with RS-A (sports car tires) on it from the factory! :shock:

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next