It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Took mine in for service with 8000 miles. When I got it back they said by the way we did the ball joint recall while it was here. Looked underneath and sure enough it had the blue dust caps. Good dealer. Second vehicle from this dealer.

Rock Rails
Trac-Lock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 am 
LOST Member

Just thought i'd post that I had mine done back in October and they were SHOT.

mileage on the KJ at the time was around 36K......pretty pathetic if you ask me, but i'm glad I got it done before they let go.

I have still yet to receive my recall notice in the mail....go figure :roll:

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:09 am 
LOST Member

just got my 02' done last monday with 50K on it (2x it's been done) now i just had my brakes worked on at a Les Schwabs(tire/brakes shop) and they noticed that some~how power stearing fluid got interduced into my brake system.........

I have no way to prove it, but think the service guy at the dealer might have done it.... didn't have my recall form, never recived one.... but mine was on the list..... now i'm spending $400+ to have all rubber pices in my brake system replaced and hard lines flushed....

LAST time i ever go to the dealers. for anything.... and if it's a recall thing i'm standing right there the whole time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I think that unless a chemical annalisis (sp) was done, it would be very hard for a brake shop to determine that one type of hydrolic oil was introduced into another type of hydrolic oil. And even if it was I would question the idea of power steering fluid eating the rubber brake parts. I got a red flag popping up on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:31 pm 
LOST Member

i seen the parts... the rubber was expanding 2x it's normal size.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:22 am 
LOST Newbie

OK, I had my LBJ's done back in august. I'm hearing the noise again! I'll check in the morning but I'm pretty sure the joints are gone, again! My dealer says it'll cost me $100 to have htem check. Was there a second recall on the LBJ's??? Is my dealer a POS???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:45 am 
LOST Junkie

When I had new tires put on my 04 Liberty this summer the mechanic at the tire garage warned me of the poor condition of the ball joints. They weren't on the verge of failure but they were loose. To be truthful I hadn't noticed a problem with the handling.

This week I wasn't too surprised when I received a recall notice dated Dec 21st/06 on the lower ball joints. I guess I'm fortunate, I called my dealership and was able to get an appointment right away. They even performed my 43,000 km checkup too.

Since buying my Liberty this summer I've been warned about possible ball joint problems. Just how often have they recalled the Liberty for ball joint problems? Is Chrysler having problems obtaining good ones? It seems they're having a problem supplying enough for all the recalls.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the lbjs replaced in March '06, on my 04 Columbia. After the work, it was scarey to drive on the interstate, especialy in trafffic, and the steering wheel was cocked to the right. I brought it back to hte dealer to have it checked out. I was told it needed an alaignment, and was charged $56.00 for an alaignment. An alaignment, I was told, is not part of the recall. Has anyone else heard of this, or am I just being paranoid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

From all that I have read there is no alignment needed after the lbj replacement. I asked the same thing when I had the first set done, I'm still waiting for the second recall to be done.

L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

"I'm still waiting for the second recall to be done"...Is there a second recall or are you just having it done again???[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry if this was ask already but, If had your LBJs replaced with Moogs, will chrysler pay up and has anyone had actual experience with this? I.E. How long does it take etc. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got mine replaced yesterday by Shults Auto group in Warren, PA. Spoke with the service manager who was more than willing to do it, for they had tons of ball joints in stock. Plus, all I had to do was email her my VIN number. No paper required (even though I had my letter). I even got a ride to and from work from them.

Tried to upsell me when they called to tell me it was ready though. Wanted $250 to change the oil and filters and "blow out my fuel injectors" and rotate my tires. He he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have been trying to find the posts from people who have had their ball joints replaced by someone other than DC and sent in their bills to DC to have them paid.

What are the address(s) and where do you send the invoices to?

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

There was a accident with a Liberty this past week here around town. 6 students were traveling on the interstate when the LBJ failed. The vehivle flipped and killed the 4 passengers in the rear, none of them were wearing a seatbelt.

http://www.cherokeesentinel.com/news/20 ... e/003.html

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Endurance wrote:
There was a accident with a Liberty this past week here around town. 6 students were traveling on the interstate when the LBJ failed. The vehivle flipped and killed the 4 passengers in the rear, none of them were wearing a seatbelt.

Well, I guess we know why they weren't wearing seatbelts if there were FOUR in the back. It's crowded enough with three. It's a terrible thing, but a lot can happen when you have young drivers and one too many passengers. Endurance, do you know for sure that it was an LBJ failure? Sounds like one, but the story doesn't say that specifically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:44 am 
LOST Junkie

jeepskate wrote:
Endurance wrote:

Well, I guess we know why they weren't wearing seatbelts if there were FOUR in the back. It's crowded enough with three. It's a terrible thing, but a lot can happen when you have young drivers and one too many passengers. Endurance, do you know for sure that it was an LBJ failure? Sounds like one, but the story doesn't say that specifically.

No, I dont know that for a fact, I heard it. My buddys moms friend knows the people that got killed and she told us that they were talking about the balljoints being the cause.

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, it's awful, whatever the reason. But it's doubly awful if it was the ball joint, and triply awful if they had the recall work done. It could be any of us. About 90 percent of my driving is on the freeway. I was trying not to think about what would happen with a failure at that speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 am 
LOST Newbie

OK, FYI, I just installed new arsm from Al. I am very pleased after beating on my libby this past week. The new arms are very sturdy and solid. No suspension binding/contact and the alignment can finally done correctly. Again, very good parts available from Al @ Jeepinbyal.com. i highly recomend these arms since the factory units will cost you big$$$ when you have to replace them repetedly!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK.....I know you guys have been talking about it to death, so I thought I'd throw my post in here as well since I just took my KJ in last Thursday.

The inside tread of both front tires were practically bald. Got on here to see what people were saying and I noticed the LBJ Recall. Took my KJ in and the dealer did NOT even flinch. They said, "No problem, we'll replace them right away and of course, no charge." I asked him if the tires going bald were the result of the LBJs and he said "Yes." I asked him if he was going to replace my tires and he said "No." So while they were replacing my LBJs I called DaimlerChrysler (the 1-800 # that's listed in the recall) and explained to them what I just told you....they put me on hold and got back on 4 minutes later and said they would NOT replace my tires because they had just gotten off the phone with the STEALERSHIP that I was at and that the head mechanic told them it was due to "NORMAL WEAR". Yes, the same guy that told me that it was because of the LBJ's being bad. Oh well...long story but like I said, figured I would toss it in here with the rest of them.

I replaced the tires on the front with a set of really good used ones (yes, they are the crappy wrangler ones) that match the ones in the back. And YES I will be getting a brand new set of A/T's before winter.

:-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I was one of those with the recall done, whose ball joints failed AFTER the recall was done. Luckily in my driveway with no damage at all to the vehicle.

Also note that I could not keep the thing aligned, and the inside of the tires received much more wear.

Others have not been so lucky as far a failures. I have been keeping in contact with two mechanics from two NC dealers about the cases they see come in. I hate to hear from them about some of the front end damage they have seen. SUVs do not do well when the ball joints fail at speed - lose of steering contol results immediately as your wheel comes up into your wheel well - lose of steering control then results in a crash.

After mine failed I was never really comfortable in the car, really not comfortable with family in the car. Before mine failed, just two minutes earlier I was on the highway traveling 70MPH. I felt as if I was given a pass this time. I decided to get rid of it and get another car and now I feel a huge relief. I loved my jeep, but not at the price of my family's life.

Best of luck to everyone on the forums, I wish your ball joints a healthy life, and if they do crack - I hope it is in the driveway or parking lot and not on the highway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next