It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible Service Bulletin Update for Window Regulators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I bought this replacement regulator (http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp13002) for my '05 Liberty CRD (driver side rear). I installed it today, it was really easy, and took about 2 hours total. I'm thinking about ordering one for the other side too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Guys, this whole regulator thing has been killing me, enough to register and post. I have NEVER replaced a regulator in any vehicle, including the 06 LIberty. What I do do is to lube the tracks with a shot of silicone every oil change. You'd be amazed at how much difference there is in the window speed before and after. Now, if the window speed is slower, theres more drag...the more drag the more pressure on the weak link (regulator) therefore the reason for the breakage. Think about it...the plastic doesnt get weaker from day one till it fails, the window track builds up more resistance which causes it to then fail.

Just my .02 (although apparently my hundreds of dollars as well from money saved)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dude wrote:
Guys, this whole regulator thing has been killing me, enough to register and post. I have NEVER replaced a regulator in any vehicle, including the 06 LIberty. What I do do is to lube the tracks with a shot of silicone every oil change. You'd be amazed at how much difference there is in the window speed before and after. Now, if the window speed is slower, theres more drag...the more drag the more pressure on the weak link (regulator) therefore the reason for the breakage. Think about it...the plastic doesnt get weaker from day one till it fails, the window track builds up more resistance which causes it to then fail.

Just my .02 (although apparently my hundreds of dollars as well from money saved)

My '02 is starting to stutter when the windows go up/down. Where exactly/how are you getting the lube into the channel? :?

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

[

My '02 is starting to stutter when the windows go up/down. Where exactly/how are you getting the lube into the channel? :?[/quote]

I use silicone, spraying it into the track with the window down and wiping the felt(ish?) material the window tracks against with a silicone dampened rag. Work the window up and down a few times after spraying the track, wipe the excess that will get onto the glass, then stand back and marvel how much faster and smoother the window moves :BANANA:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I am having a 10th window regulator replaced Thursday. So far all under warranty. This is absolutely ridiculous as I have had this passenger rear one done in July 2009, again in August 2009, and now June 2010. This is definitely not a resistance problem as I never use the rear windows; the glass just all of a sudden drops into the door.

I would like to hear from folks that have installed the Steiger metal parts to fix this and have some time on the windows. How are they holding up? Chrysler will never fix this properly and once I am out of warranty, I need a real fix short of blocking up the windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjstinga wrote:
I am having a 10th window regulator replaced Thursday. So far all under warranty. This is absolutely ridiculous as I have had this passenger rear one done in July 2009, again in August 2009, and now June 2010. This is definitely not a resistance problem as I never use the rear windows; the glass just all of a sudden drops into the door.

I would like to hear from folks that have installed the Steiger metal parts to fix this and have some time on the windows. How are they holding up? Chrysler will never fix this properly and once I am out of warranty, I need a real fix short of blocking up the windows.

The new Mopar replacement parts are different. They are now using a complete new window, regulator, and maybe even the motor............ Before, they kept replacing the bad parts with bad parts.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

dieselenthusiast wrote:
The new Mopar replacement parts are different. They are now using a complete new window, regulator, and maybe even the motor............ Before, they kept replacing the bad parts with bad parts.

When did that start? I just had the driver rear done about 2 months ago and there was no new window. Mine have aftermarket tint on them so I would notice if they changed it.

Nevermind, I just found the answer to my question. They are only replacing the windows/regulators in the later 06 and 07 liberty which had a redesigned regulator style. Basically they are giving you the same piece of crap regulator that I already have. Here is a link that explains the difference:
http://www.steigerperformance.com/spottersguide/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjstinga wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:

When did that start? I just had the driver rear done about 2 months ago and there was no new window. Mine have aftermarket tint on them so I would notice if they changed it.

Nevermind, I just found the answer to my question. They are only replacing the windows/regulators in the later 06 and 07 liberty which had a redesigned regulator style. Basically they are giving you the same piece of crap regulator that I already have. Here is a link that explains the difference:
http://www.steigerperformance.com/spottersguide/index.html

According to the dealer, and the way it was explained to me, was that the new window/regulator/motor is nothing like the older parts. I could be wrong, but that is what I was told by the Jeep technician. I will say that I haven't had any issues with the new window/regulator/motor. Also, the window that was replaced works faster, smoother, and quieter than the other three windows that are still the original parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, the 2002-2005 regulators are smooth and work great until the window drops.

Just left the dealership from dropping Liberty off and confirmed that the 2006-2007 liberty is being back rev'd to the 2002-2005 regulators which do require the whole assembly with glass being replaced. For the 2002-2005, they are just continuing to replace it with same regulator. Evidently Chrysler found out that the redesign was even worse than the first problem regulator; but has not made any fix for the root problem in 2002-2005 regulators.

Guess I will be going the Steiger route after warranty is up. What I have heard on that fix is positive, but it is mostly initial impressions and would still like to hear from anyone that has had it installed for some time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

just had my window regulator replaced last friday , for the driver side rear. they told me i only had to pay the deductible portion which was $100.

Mud is my favorite color

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have paid the deductible ($100) on each of the 4 windows; the other 5 incidents have been free since they have all happened withing 12 months of the initial replacement. I would never being paying full price on these regulators; the deductible is bad enough for a defective design.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjstinga wrote:
I have paid the deductible ($100) on each of the 4 windows; the other 5 incidents have been free since they have all happened withing 12 months of the initial replacement. I would never being paying full price on these regulators; the deductible is bad enough for a defective design.

What year is your KJ? I guess I've been lucky, I haven't had any window failures outside of my 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is a 2004 with 53K miles and the 7/70 warranty.
Here is how it breaks down:
LF 1 regulator
RF 1 regulator
LR 4 regulators
RR 3 Regulators

Everytime I am at the dealer there are at least 2 other Libertys in for window regulators as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjstinga wrote:
It is a 2004 with 53K miles and the 7/70 warranty.
Here is how it breaks down:
LF 1 regulator
RF 1 regulator
LR 4 regulators
RR 3 Regulators

Everytime I am at the dealer there are at least 2 other Libertys in for window regulators as well.

Hey, at least your warranty has paid off. :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Had a friend call me yesterday afternoon and said they came out of work to find their driver rear window half way down... broken regulator. It was a 2002 Liberty and has been their first time it happened; wanted to know if I could rig it in the up position until they figure out what they can do about it. Said they know another person in their office with Liberty that has replaced regulator on all windows at least once. When we picked ours up at the dealer another guy was in picking his Liberty up and it was his 5th window regulator; but he was out of warranty.

I have always heard there was something different (i.e. better/stronger) in the 2002 model regulator setup but have never confirmed it; they seem to last a lot longer.

Chrysler has a lot of unhappy owners out there with this problem.
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/02/jeep-liberty-power-window-problems-diy-tips/#comment-3367
http://www.petitiononline.com/Recall/petition.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I still think the new Mopar fix is different. It may be similar to the 2002-2005 regulator setup, but according to the dealership, it’s a “new” design. Maybe I’m being hopeful on this, but that’s what I’m banking on. If not, then I might as well start saving my money up for a window regulator account because I’m well out of my warranty. :shock: So far, I’ve only had two fail……One being replaced with the old “bad” part and the last one was replaced with the “new re-designed” part. Time will tell……….. We’ll see if the service tech was telling me stories or not :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, here we go again... It's summer and we have hit some 100 degree days; the first window of this year fell.

This is the 13th regulator to fail. we'll see what chrysler and the dealer have to say about this one. Still under the 7/70 warranty. I think it is time for Chrysler to reimburse me for the original deductibles and I will go buy the Stieger kits and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well we just had the 14th occurrence of the window falling down and being replaced. That is 2 in the last 5 days. Chrysler has told me they will be covered as long as I own the vehicle... I would like a fix, but 0 cost replacement is at least something.

As for some positive news, the part replacement on the 2 this week refers to just the lift plate instead of the usual regulator part. So maybe there is hope that it has been redesigned and will last.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i had Dan replace all 4 of mine when one of mine failed .. bout 2 years ago, i got one (that never gets used) thats broken but still together so i disconnected the switch to keep it from being used

i swear since they were installed that window has been up and down maybe 10 times (10 down 10 up) other than the initial install and 20ish up/downs to make sure it was aligned

it was always smooth.. etc

whether its self fulfilling prophesy or what.. i always said I thought a big issue with the windows that didn't get used was the hot/cold expansion contraction while they weren't being used that killed them, then the first really hot day you go to roll the window down and BAM

well that's pretty much what happened with this one, and it's what happened with the last one

both my front door regs are fine , but they get used constantly

shrug..

2 regs on doors that never get opened and dont get rolled down frequently

not much to complain about really.. i have better luck with the regs than most but usually when one breaks I replace all of them or at least check all 4

anyway.. steiger parts here on out for me

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wife's 04 LR regulator just went out for 2nd time. Cost $135 for part last time an all that was wrong was the plastic part the window an the cable conects to that gos up & down busted. I found an after market metal replacement part at Stieger Performance for $80 + shiping an ordered it today. It's is a little pricy but if it permanetly fixes the poblem, it will be worth it as I like the liberty an want to keep it for wheelin when wife is ready for newer suv Will let you all know how this works out when part arives. I was impressed with the website 4x4 fever