It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discovered damage today - not sure what to do...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

While getting some more service & state inspection on ye olde XK today, I discovered... the driver's door... is NOT original! :shock:

I bought the vehicle FROM a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer in WV, and it has the extended 8 year/100k mile warranty. Had the vehicle stayed in WV, or gone to OH, or outside of Allegheny Co., this might NEVER have been discovered, BUT... Allegheny Co. requires emission inspections. They set up the computer, based on the vehicle's GVWR. They looked for that on the side/bottom of the driver's door and... NO sticker! :furious:

As you know, the vehicle will rust away completely, before that plasticized sticker erodes. And they're not exactly water soluble decals - that Gorilla glue they use to hold 'em on there isn't likely to FALL off in our lifetime! And had they pulled a door off another wrecked vehicle, the sticker for THAT vehicle WOULD have been there. This apparently, is a new MOPAR/Jeep door - it fits right - the paint matches - no giddy-up in opening/closing it, or in the widow, BUT... it ain't the ORIGINAL door!

Moreover, I bought it on 10/13, but MY Carfax report is DATED, "August 8." The door does NOT show up on the August Carfax, and I have registered it for the Carfax buyback guarantee, should something "untoward" be discovered with the title.

Thing is, both my Goodyear dealer (where I was getting it serviced) AND my local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer believe the door to be aftermarket (I went over to them to have my new PCV valve installed, and pointed it out to them. I also looked up the GVWR sticker on an '07 Commander on THIER lot, to confirm its location), albeit it genuine MOPAR/Jeep. It raises the question though: what DID happen to it, and why wasn't it on the Carfax? My local dealer was kind enough to print off a door sticker FOR me, based on my VIN, so I can get it inspected, so bonus points for them!

It could be something as simple as, the WV dealer's lot monkey backed into it, and they replaced it themselves, WITHOUT an insurance claim - which wouldn't show up on the Carfax (although I don't have one dated more recent than 8/8). I believe I need to confornt the WV dealer about this though, as I need to ask them - what ELSE has happened to it SINCE August 8, that they failed to disclose?

I've already bookmarked the WV Attorney General's office, should I need to follow up further (they have a vehicle claims division within his office, as I suspect a LOT of states do), but I gotta go through my dealer first - I'm open to suggestions on how to approach this.

Post subject: Re: Discovered damage today - not sure what to do...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well since there are no laws stating the dealership has to disclose information about minor fixes to you I really don't see anything that can be done. It is odd that the door doesn't have an R-DOT decal on it though as it should if it was a new replacement part.

As for Carfax, not everything is reported to them (Case-in-point, I totaled a Chrysler Voyager and it was a full-loss by the insurance yet, none of this shows up on Carfax)

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon