It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excessive Cabin Wind Noise
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:27 am 
LOST Member

Has anyone noticed that there is a very loud wind noise comming from the rear passanger door area? When driving above 45 mpg, it's very annoying. Dealership replaced the seal and the noise is still there. Anyone have any suggestions?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I just got my Liberty a week ago -- also a 2005 Limited. I found myself turning around and looking yesterday while going down the interstate to make sure the windows were all rolled up! It's not a loud noise, but it IS noticeable. I also have the sunroof, but it didn't sound like that was making the noise. It might just be the turbulence created by the racks on top?

Post subject: windnoise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Tell them to check door alignment. Mine was ever so slightly off. Re-aligned and noise is gone.

(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Off topic but indynewfie, I love your pic

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:38 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Still off topic: Yeah, cool picture! What's the story behind it?

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject: 4 in the air
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is one of a few times that weekend when I was airborn. LOL.
We ended up trailing at a park that was nothing but "mound" challenges. Didn't realize this until we got there. Most of all my fellow wrangler-4"+lift buddies had no problem cresting these hills. Getting tired of bottoming out (i was stock) and slowing up the group I decided that if I launched the front end a little up and over I might hit the crest behind my center and then just sort of slide over. ...... Hit the gas a little more than i thought was necessary (the low end torque in the KJ is awesome) and went 4 wheels over the crest.

Launched a few more times until i got a feel for how much i really needed to "just" clear the point crests. (Later i learned the trick of breaking it down bit by bit, but the guy who built them wasn't too happy about that, lol.)

It is my daily driver, and I drove it 3 hours to this park. My wife was, of course, a little nervous and worried, but we had a buddy with a flat bed in case something really bad happened. Out of my rig and the other 5 lifted wranglers that weekend, the KJ was the only vehicle that sustained NO damage. At the time I figured, hey it's under warranty, and my dealership is off-road friendly, (I know - a rarity).

Had lotsa fun flying that weekend, but now with the lift, I'm ususally crawling over these crests with ease. No need to push one's luck too far, right?

Thanks for the acknowledgement you guys.

(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:49 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Cool story but happy you didn't crack your diff case in front...

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
Tell them to check door alignment. Mine was ever so slightly off. Re-aligned and noise is gone.

They realigned your door? Was your noise from only one door?

I have the very same noise. It is bugging me to no end (yet!). Please, keep us posted on any news in this situation. I am about the notify my dealer.

Christopher

28D, Tow Pkg, Fully Skidded, Yummy Leather, Mopar Bug Shield, WeatherFlectors, 5x 255/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Husky lined, and a brand new eTool. 2005 EVIC Install Write-Up Coming Soon! Currently (6/07) @ 16,400 miles! (3/07-14,100 miles)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2175805

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

My wind noise is coming from my rear drivers side door :cry:

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

My driver's door looks slightly askewed, but I don't think the noise is that bad (or I may have gotten used to it :D) I sure hope it's from misalignment and not from body flex since I've parked it on an angle and opened the doors previously. The angle is not that severe, maybe 40 degrees or so (right wheels were higher than left wheels, and I opened the driver door).

There was some post on the old board about bent body ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have slight wind noise coming from right rear door also above 50 mph. I think I will check with dealer about re-alaigning. Here I thought it was just me. Thanks

2005 Sport 4x4, 3.5L, 6 speed, stock

2005 Patriot Blue Sport
4x4 3.7L, 6 speed,
dual K&N filters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I went to the DS yesterday. My Friend/Dealer mentioned that there were 3 other Libertys that have been through the service department this week for door adjustments. All owners complaining of rear window up wind noise. Was the jig off it's rocker last June, or what?

I will be making a list of concerns and turning my Libby in for a service trip. Hopefully, next week.

Christopher

28D, Tow Pkg, Fully Skidded, Yummy Leather, Mopar Bug Shield, WeatherFlectors, 5x 255/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Husky lined, and a brand new eTool. 2005 EVIC Install Write-Up Coming Soon! Currently (6/07) @ 16,400 miles! (3/07-14,100 miles)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed the same wind noise described here from the rear driver's side door when I test drove an early 2005 Renegade overnight. It had been on the lot so long that they had an additional incentive for aged inventory. However, I ended up purchasing a Renegade fresh off the truck that does not exhibit this problem. So, perhaps it was a build problem that affected some of the earlier '05s.

I do have an annoying rattle-like sound that seems to be coming from the rear swing gate when going over bumpy pavement, but I haven't tracked it down yet. Has anyone else noticed this or have some thoughts on where to look? I replaced the spare tire with a larger size tire, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it unless the spare itself was loose.

Thanks.

Post subject: Dusty Floorboard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello All! New to the board here with the purchase of an 05 Renegade.
Is there a TSB for this situation? I hadn't noticed the noise but after riding some gravel roads I noticed a significant amount of dust/gravel on the floorboard and the door sill on the pass. side.
I intend to point this out to the dealer but if there is a TSB it is allways nice to be prepared. I'll be sure to hit some gravel on the way there.
Any help/info. is much appreciated!

Post subject: door
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've gotten some muddy water in the rear driver's side door on a trail ride might need an adjustment?

L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.

Last edited by Joe Jeeper on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No wind noise from the rear window really, but just sounds like it is open especially when cars pass you. They sound as clear as day. Sounds like you have the window open. I keep checking behind my shoulder too, to check if it is open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:08 pm 
LOST Member

I was just at the dealership and took the service manager for a spin in my KJ. He said that there was a problem but damned if he knew how to fix it. They already moved the latch on the frame itself closer in so now the door is actually recessed a little bit. STILL wind noise. He was polite but basically inferred that I was stuck with it until DC makes a TSB or something like that. I am pissed! I want a solution.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, step one complete. They believe the noise exists. I couldn't get a ride along due to the rainy weather. The rain noise would make it too hard to listen for the noise. The service tech did mention than the right rear door's trailing edge was receased into the Liberty's side more that the body. This could be causing the noise and was likely turbulence from the wind "catching" the body edge. The seam edges are fine near the latch, but are different higher on the door. He suggested using masking tape and cover the seam for a test to see if the tape removes the space where the turbulence is forming. I will try this idea this week and report the outcome. I could not leave my Liberty there for them to try after the rain stopped. But, I will return and leave it for them in a week or 2. They have to replace a bent valve stem/pressure sensor also.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello, hate to have my first post go like this, but here goes. I have a 05 CRD with 2k on it and I too have the noise. It has been to the stealer twice and this last time they basically said it was a characteristic of the liberty and unless DC comes out with a TSB I have to suck it up. What? this is a new vehicle. If I had bought a used one I could live with it but come on 25k+ for a suck it up answer I don't think so. I called the DC 800 number and voiced my concerns. They said I was the first to complain about this problem but if they recieved others they would look into it. Until then they suggested I take it to another stealer.

Dennis
Silver Limited Noisy CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can you post that number? I would gladly call and add my thoughts on my noise!

If everyone with this noise could call that might get things moving.

My dealership said they would watch it. But, not much hope was given that they would correct the situation. They had my Liberty for 2 days and they just didn't care to test it. The tape 6" at a time around the seal until the noise is quite. When I took it in the Service Rep rode along with me. He heard the noise. I think I will call them again and yell some more.

For the life of me.... New Car warrenties are worth nothing if you cannot get the darn dealership to correct problems! This sucks! :twisted:

One Dealship sales guy over heard and said that I should have gotten a Wrangler "they are so noisy you won't care." :shock:

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"