It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TSB 21-009-06: Torque Conv. Intermittent Lock-Up, Rattle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Date: April 12, 2006

Models: 2005-2006 (KJ) Jeep Liberty diesel

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.8L turbo-diesel engine and a 545RFE automatic transmission (sales codes ENR and DGQ respectively) and built prior to November 03, 2005.

Subject: Torque Converter: Intermittent Lock-Up, DTC P0740 - Out Of Range, And Rattle-Like Sound

Symptom/Condition: The customer may experience all of the following conditions:

- A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0740 - Torque Converter Out Of Range.

- A rattle-like sound from the torque converter / bellhousing area of the transmission. This sound may be heard when the transmission is in neutral or park and the engine speed is raised above an idle.

- Intermittent torque converter lock and unlock when in lock-up mode. The customer may feel that the transmission is shifting more frequently than expected. A scan tool may be required to verify desired mode (lock-up) and actual mode (unlock) of the torque converter.

Complete PDF file: TSB 21-009-06

Post subject: Re: TSB 21-009-06: Torque Conv. Intermittent Lock-Up, Rattle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 am 
LOST Member

Milous wrote:

The customer may experience all of the following conditions:

- Intermittent torque converter lock and unlock when in lock-up mode. The customer may feel that the transmission is shifting more frequently than expected. A scan tool may be required to verify desired mode (lock-up) and actual mode (unlock) of the torque converter.

So is this the Shudder that some of us experience?

This is a pretty extensive TSB:

Quote:
This bulletin involves the replacement to the transmission torque converter, pump, filters,
and oil cooler.

I wonder what the root of the problem is. And why the cooler is replaced, is it part of the problem or collateral damage from the root cause.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:35 am 
LOST Addict

It all goes back to the wrong filter being used and not replaced soon enough, whether by owner not knowing or noticing till too late or dealers refusing do the TSB as soon as possible. As the torque converter sheds small pieces they migrate to other parts of the tranny.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

This TSB describes exactly what the dealer is doing to my CRD. They have had it for over a week, and supposedly are waiting for the torque converter to show up. This must be a hot-off-the-presses TSB, i hadnt even heard of it last week. They tried the filter and flash first, but it didn't fix the problem. Hopefully the new TC will last a LOT longer than the first one did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, i FINALLY got my CRD back this afternoon. Ran fine until getting off the highway after picking my wife up. All of a sudden, it decided not to shift past 2nd gear unless revved way past where it should normally shift. So we limped home, and will be seeing the service guys again as soon as they open up in the morning. Needless to say, neither of us is going to be pleased about the fact that it took a whole 3 hours before our transmission learned a new way to be a PITA!!! :x Also, i crawled underneath the Jeep as soon as i got it home, i think they are blowing smoke about replacing my cooler. Either that, or it is tucked up above the engine skid where i cant see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:46 pm 
oz_crd wrote:
Well, i FINALLY got my CRD back this afternoon. Ran fine until getting off the highway after picking my wife up. All of a sudden, it decided not to shift past 2nd gear unless revved way past where it should normally shift. So we limped home, and will be seeing the service guys again as soon as they open up in the morning. Needless to say, neither of us is going to be pleased about the fact that it took a whole 3 hours before our transmission learned a new way to be a PITA!!! :x Also, i crawled underneath the Jeep as soon as i got it home, i think they are blowing smoke about replacing my cooler. Either that, or it is tucked up above the engine skid where i cant see it.

Did you ever get resolution to this? I am starting to get the dreaded shudder and wonder if I should try and get the dealer to replace the torque converter before it completely implodes, or just wait and see what happens, if anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

The trans cooler and the a/c condenser are built togather..................the jeep tech that did my TQ converter, showed it to me when he was done with my jeep.

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject: Torque Converter Problems
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had similar shudder and frequent shifting problems with by 06 Liberty Gas at 7,500 miles. The dealer had to replace the torque converter and transmission pump. So far so good.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:21 am 
LOST Member

I have noticed a rattle at idle while in gear for a while now and thought nothing of it until I read this post. I had the recall performed to fix the torque converter lockup problem associated with the highway shudder, but I still hear and somewhat feel the rattle/shudder at idle while in gear.

Also, I also feel like the one/some of the engine mounts might be worn out. When I throttle up or down, in gear, it feels like the engine is shifting on it's mounts. Anybody experience similar problems?

Thanks,
Steve

-245/65/17 Destination A/Ts
-PML Alum. Diff. Cvr.
-Custom intake (pre-turbo)
-Custom Sound System w/fully damped interior
-MBRP Stnls Exhaust
Works in Progress:
-Boost and EGT A-Pillar gauges
-Painless Striker I