It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 ECS - Attending?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm 

TwoBobsKJ wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
Going to still say as a 'yes' for now, despite current mechanical issues. :?

Besides, our camp reservations are already made. :D

What's up, Jayme, Eugene not behaving...?

Bob

The front diff decided to spring a very slow pinion seal leak (previously undetectable by both Aaron and me although we'd both been under the vehicle a time or two within the last few weeks) and chew up the gears. :furious:

The diff is currently out from under the vehicle, and will be assessed tomorrow. Hoping that stars align and we will still be there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

HoosierJeeper wrote:
Guess I should get a hotel...what would be the best area? Oliver Springs?

While Oliver Springs is close, it's quite small. If you can't find anything there, Oak Ridge is bigger and would have more to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:18 pm 

dgeist wrote:
Can anyone on the list confirm having a cabin (or other fixed structure) reserved for ECS? I'm wondering about logistics for evening sit-abouts having never been in their "camping only" area.

Dan

With any luck, even without a cabin (which I don't think anyone has :?: ), maybe we can get a handful of side-by-side campsites where we can hang.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

yellocoyote wrote:

The front diff decided to spring a very slow pinion seal leak (previously undetectable by both Aaron and me although we'd both been under the vehicle a time or two within the last few weeks) and chew up the gears. :furious:

The diff is currently out from under the vehicle, and will be assessed tomorrow. Hoping that stars align and we will still be there.

Well, darn :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:

Wow - that stinks :furious:

Let's keep fingers crossed for good news today and a happy Eugene ready for next week :JEEPIN:

Bob

- Rubicon Moabs
- 4.10's, 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
- 4X Guard Trans Skid, Modded BoulderBars, Mopar Engine, T-Case, Tank Skids, ARB bumper, Smittybilt 9500XRC winch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:01 pm 

It's official. Regrettably, we're out. We might have stood a chance, but found out today that our local driveline place is no longer in business. With under a week to source parts and to have an untested shop do the work before going on a 9+ hour trip... we've decided it's not a good idea right now. :( :( :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
It's official. Regrettably, we're out. We might have stood a chance, but found out today that our local driveline place is no longer in business. With under a week to source parts and to have an untested shop do the work before going on a 9+ hour trip... we've decided it's not a good idea right now. :( :( :(

What a bummer! :(

Was really looking forward to meeting you and Aaron - plus your pics are awesome. We'll do our best to document everything so you can enjoy it vicariously through pics.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone else next week. Putting on my modded BoulderBars today :BANANA:

Bob

- Rubicon Moabs
- 4.10's, 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
- 4X Guard Trans Skid, Modded BoulderBars, Mopar Engine, T-Case, Tank Skids, ARB bumper, Smittybilt 9500XRC winch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 pm 

I hope lots of people post pictures. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oh, man - that absolutely sucks :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:

Man sorry to hear that! :(
Oh yeah I hope nobody minds me looking your rock rails...I'd like to get a set and want to see the different ones in person. :D

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 am 

Further update:

I don't feel so bad about what happened now. I completely thought I'd neglected something causing the diff thing to happen (even though I never remembered seeing any signs of problems). But, Aaron took the diff to a new driveline shop nearby and found out this:

Quote:
Eugene update: Aside from the trashed gears, my initial diagnosis was wrong. There was no pinion seal leak, which is why we never noticed one. True cause is a pinion nut that was used too many times to retain its built in locking ability, thus it backed off over time allowing the pinion to wander. Lesson learned, always request that a new pinion nut is used anytime it is removed for any reason. A $10-15 part can save hundreds later.

It's still going to require a small miracle for us to make it to ECS this year (like parts in and labor complete by Wednesday @ 1:30pm or so). Shop is ordering parts tomorrow. We shall see...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Fingers are crossed for you....

The bf says this is why he never reuses prop nuts on his raceboats. He's never lost a prop, unlike most other guys.

I am amazed the driveline shop would reuse a pinion nut. All they have to do is add it to the cost and itemize it. Who's going to scream about a $10-$15 addition to their $500-$1000 bill?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:26 pm 

Leeann wrote:
I am amazed the driveline shop would reuse a pinion nut. All they have to do is add it to the cost and itemize it. Who's going to scream about a $10-$15 addition to their $500-$1000 bill?

Exactly my thought. For such a minuscule (yet important) part, I would have been more than happy to spend a few extra bucks to ensure it would remain in place. The guys at the shop said that a reused nut will usually only last about a year before coming loose and creating issues. We got about 1-1/2 years out of it.

Another case of live & learn. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

yellocoyote wrote:
Exactly my thought. For such a minuscule (yet important) part, I would have been more than happy to spend a few extra bucks to ensure it would remain in place. The guys at the shop said that a reused nut will usually only last about a year before coming loose and creating issues. We got about 1-1/2 years out of it.

Another case of live & learn. :roll:

Yup. You don't know what to look or ask for unless someone explained it to you or you had something bad happen (I'm better at learning from the latter, unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

that kind of work is probably why they're out of business :2cents:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:33 pm 

Also what we were thinking. :dead:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm still having issues and I thought I went to the best :banghead: another live and learn moment. Getting them to actually pull the front axle is proving very difficult.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 pm 

Man, you're still dealing with all that?! :x I feel for ya.

1. KJWilly with Rubi
2. TwoBobsKJ
3. Cobolt-60 +1
4. HoosierJeeper
5. blackwidowkj06 +1-3 (maybe)
6. dgeist

Maybe
1. Tony P.
2. audiboy86
3. yellocoyote (maybe, but not likely)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yea, the second store I took it to fixed the rear but not the front. It's getting worse. I took it back for the mechanic to check it and he said the tires are making the noise, NOT. General at2's are almost silent. I gave them too much money to have someone else do it. I'll probably change the oil in it and use one of those snakey camera things to have a look in there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2. TwoBobsKJ
3. Cobolt-60 +1
4. HoosierJeeper
5. blackwidowkj06 +1-3 (maybe)
6. dgeist

Maybe
1. Tony P.
2. audiboy86
3. yellocoyote (maybe, but not likely)
4. KJWilly with Rubi this gov shut down may get me, i am fighting now to keep the time off.

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next