It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cycling Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am interested in getting a road bike and was interested in people's experience with tire widths.

One bike has 25mm tires and the other has 30mm wide tires. Which width is best for a 50 mile commute and casual fitness riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Cycling Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:33 am 
LOST Member

Use a wider tire for comfort and a narrower tire for speed generally.

I used a 23mm on my Cannondale and Specialized. My work commute at that time was like 3 miles though but I tried to ride at least a century(100 miles) every week (even though honestly many times if I had a few to many beers at one of the stops it would be more like a half century)

I rode about 150ish miles in RAGBRAI with a 700x23 and had no issues with discomfort or blowing (were Kevlar tires)

You get punch flats easier the thinner the tire is but 23 is the most common size and easy to find tubes cheap. Just don't go under 20 though. Faster but not comfortable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

Post subject: Re: Cycling Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you are wanting a true road bike, 23 mm is pretty much the standard now for road tires. Keep them aired up to at least 110 psi to avoid pinches.

You could get a comfort or hybrid style bike with wider tires and a more upright stance, but you wouldn't want to ride it 50 miles.

Another option you could consider, if you want a more versatile bike is a cyclocross or touring bike. They look similar to road bikes but have either disc or cantilever brakes and accept a wider tire. For example, I have 32 (or maybe 35 mm) tires right now on my 'cross bike.

Post pics or links to the bikes you are looking at...

2012 Liberty 4x4 White

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm also interested in this topic. But I would like to choose a good bike model for city riding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:00 am 
LOST Member

unless you're fighting for that last watt of savings, for the most part tire width won't make a difference, and not nearly as much as tire choice (compound, tread design, stiffness, weight, etc.)
I went from the stock (Bontrager 700x28) tires to 700x35 SCHWALBE ENERGIZER + TOUR WIRE tires and I picked up 2mph average speed on flats easily. Note those are actually e-bike rated tires as well, so they're wearing like iron (over 2800 miles now) and they have amazing grip.

there have been tons of studies on tire pressures versus resistance (watts) that have shown pressures within the tire's recommended range have very little effect on resistance, unless you're basically a TdF level cyclist. We run the wife's tires 30psi off the rated max, simply because it all but eliminates her getting puncture flats (she's a larger gal, and already has semi balloon tires installed), and her newer tires (Michelin Country Rock 26 x 1.75") also netted her an increase in speed simply because they were lighter and had a less aggressive off-road pattern.

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]