All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Bmw or Lexus
BMW 82%  82%  [ 18 ]
Lexus 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: BMW or Lexus
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

In your opinion, which is the better street suv: The bmw x5 with a stick, or a Lexus rx330?

And on an obnoxious side note, it's irresponsible not unresponsible. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:42 pm 
I live here
I live here

:shock:

I agree with Hammer on this.

How many have driven both to determine which is better. I would like to do a write-in vote for the Liberty

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Can't write in the lib :P .. I would definately consider it offroad capable ( and I'm pretty sure that everyone here would agree :D ) .. while I would never consider either of these for offroad purposes

Post subject: Re: BMW or Lexus
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm 
LOST Addict

auggy wrote:
In your opinion, which is the better street suv: The bmw x5 with a stick, or a Lexus rx330?

Liberty 4x2

auggy wrote:
And on an obnoxious side note, it's irresponsible not unresponsible. :oops:

"Me fail English?!? Unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:35 am 
LOST Junkie

Haha, You guys would really rather drive a libby 4x2 on the road than a bimmer or a lexus? Maybe it's just me but I would definately go with the luxury ride over the jeep for an on road only situation.

Just a silly poll :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

auggy wrote:
Haha, You guys would really rather drive a libby 4x2 on the road than a bimmer or a lexus? Maybe it's just me but I would definately go with the luxury ride over the jeep for an on road only situation.

Yeah, if I were going to own more than one vehicle, the first one would be a jeep. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a good "street suv". What you mean to say there is "minivan". I think my second car would be a sporty little luxury sedan. Maybe with AWD, but other than that, all car, all the time, definitely manual transmission.

Realistically speaking, though, I bought the Liberty because it makes a good single vehicle for all purposes. It carries a lot of stuff, fits a lot of people, works well on the road. My second vehicle will very soon be a motorcycle - I just passed my road test this weekend, my license is coming in the mail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

Lexus is a jumped up Toyota and the BMW is an overpriced, oversized station wagon.

Would rather have a Range Rover Sport

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles ... erview.htm

Luxury, speed and good handling on road, unstoppable off it!

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oh trust me I would definately take the LR3 even over these two, the sport is waaaaaaaaaay to expensive though to be practical .. just lookin to see what everyone else thinks would be the better suv for on road use only.

There is a such thing as a good "on road" suv, because I would trust one of these cars in the snow over a minivan any day.

Also, the bmw would be with a 5 speed manual trans + sport package

In reality this is for a second car for my father. I tried ( to no avail ) to convince him to get a commander or a rubicon, but he said he was looking for a "more finished" car. It can't be too flashy but it also has to be luxury because he drives it every day in the winter ( which is crappy here in northern ohio ). So it's pretty much been narrowed down to these two .. just getting opinions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:55 pm 
LOST Addict

auggy wrote:
It can't be too flashy but it also has to be luxury because he drives it every day in the winter ( which is crappy here in northern ohio ). So it's pretty much been narrowed down to these two .. just getting opinions

So ... he's looking to drive in crappy winter, and he dismisses the KJ because ... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mainly because that's what I drive and it would look funny to have two of them, but also because I would feel like a jerk if I drove as nice of a car as my dad :oops:

He also dismisses the KJ for two other reasons:

1.) He sees it as a "Kid Car" ( Mainly because he only sees my KJ with the lights and less finish than a car he would usually own: ie. cloth seats, plastic fenders etc..., stuff that doesn't matter at all but an old business man cares i guess ) :oops:

2.) He's looking for a car with better on road manners-An suv that rides like a car and feels like a limo inside.

Trust me I wouldnt be in the market for either of these cars but I'm trying to get him out of buying that Lexus that looks like a minivan .. at least the bimmer looks more like a car =0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 pm 
I live here
I live here

So he wants an expensive SUV that will suffer greater depreciation due to the winter, than a more practical SUV that can do more?

Tell him to go for the 4-Runner or Outback. Very reliable and capable SUV's compared to the Lexus or BMW and a lot cheaper.....I think.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:47 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I was with a friend of mine that bought a used bmw from a bmw dealer, I do have to say, the best sales I ever have seen. Only delt with the salesman, no one else. I don't know if this is the same for every bmw dealership but I was impressed.

Another friend has an outback, I do have to say those are really nice, probably can get alot of good luxery options with those too. However if your dad is looking purly for luxery, bmw is hard to beat.

While I was at the dealer with my friend I was reading some of the brochures, a new feature for the 325s is headlights that follow the curves of the road. I thought that was pretty cool, I'm sure stuff like that would be in their more expensive models, probably even cooler little gadgets.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yeah they also have an option where you can use your ipod in the stereo without any mods .. he loved that. I hope the bimmer wins because the lexus really looks like a minivan =(

He looked at the 4 runner and the xterra, and i forget his retarded reason why they weren't good choices ..

the outback is too much like a station wagon

He's pretty into performance .. so the bmw with the stick seems logical .. but for some reason he's still weighing both.

I dunno if it was my choice it would have been:

a. the porsche cayanne
b. a land rover lr3 (since the range is stupidly expensive)
c. a rubicon

I don't really understand his methods either, because he considered a ford escape for a while .. CRAZY OLD DUDES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:54 am 
LOST Addict

auggy wrote:
I don't really understand his methods either, because he considered a ford escape for a while .. CRAZY OLD DUDES

I've pretty much been turned off by BMW ever since they decided to use WinCE in their vehicle control system (BMW 7-series, iDrive). I'm not going to put any Microsoft product in control of anything more than throw-away electronics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:26 pm 
LOST Member

Stay away from BMW....I have seen first hand the crap that BMW often times produces. I love the look of Bmw's but I would never ever own one. Well...I tke that back....give me an E30 M3 Wide body...nice and boxy from the 80's :D

Go with Lexus....a lot better vehicle over all with less problems.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:54 pm 
I was going to suggest the Porsche or VW Toureg (V8 model). Basically the same ride yet one is slightly cheaper than the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

The towrag is over priced and the cayenne is over over priced! Whats wrong with a WK? Decent road manners, good price and also available with the 5.7 hemi....... a definate contender?

I was surprised that the LR3 was dismissed as they start at $38k and the BMW X5 starts at $42K.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I believe he dismissed the LR3 because it's "too boxy in the rear"

I love the porsche and the vw too .. no idea why he doesnt like those

What is the WK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:12 pm 
LOST Addict

VW Toe-Rag:

The Landrover LR3:

and my personal favorite, The mercedes G500:

Too bad the mercedes starts at around $80,000. That boxy mercedes has class oozing out of it.

If you really want to roll with class and style, though...The Unimog:
http://www.tx4x4.com/unimog.html