It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should the NCAA football have a playoff system?
Playoff System is the only way to go 88%  88%  [ 21 ]
I prefer the BCS or similar system 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I don't care, I hate college football 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: College Football- Playoffs or BCS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:34 pm 
I live here
I live here

Okay, Age old question. Should NCAA Div 1 A go to a playoff system or stick with the BCS?

My opinion:

Get rid of BCS. A playoff system is the way to go and create more money in the long run....which is what the whole thing is all about anyways.

There are 32 bowl games which is ridiculous since you are allowing 64 teams to play. That means more than half of all Div 1 A teams play. WHY? Teams at .500 are playing in bowl games. Soon there will be 60 bowl games so all Div1A teams get to play.

1. There are 11 Div 1 A conferences and the Independents.
2. Make all college teams play the same number of games each year.
3. Use the BCS to determine the top 8 teams, but instead of coaches and AP polls used in BCS, use a conference poll. This eliminates conferences with more coaches to vote for teams in their conference and the same with sports writers.
4. # 8 plays #1, # 7 plays # 2 and so forth
5. A total of 15 games would be played and the top two teams would play a total of 3 games giving their school a lot of money.
6. All other schools (ranked 9-64) could play in the other 28 bowl games to give them more money and keep college fans happy.

or

just do what Div 1 AA does.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Playoff is the only real way to determine whos best. BCS is a bunch of yahoos sitting around makeing their own determinations off of opponents played, difficulty of your conference etc. A playoff among the top 16 teams would be best...do it like the nfl does. Maybe a round of wild card games to determine the bottom selections, then the tops paly it out like it should be. This whole ranking system is antiquated and just doesn't always give the teams who are good enough a chance due to not being considered by the variables mentioned above. I heard they may go to a playoff type system in 09 or 2010...not sure though.

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:26 pm 
LOST Member

I agree with Joe. They still get revenue from the bowl games and then we can actually agree on a top team since they'd have to beat each other out for the spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:57 pm 
I live here
I live here

Just remember, the best team doesn't ALWAYS win. That is proven with all of the top ranked teams with a loss to unranked teams. Ten of those this year.

If Kansas can go undefeated and win the Big 12, they definitely deserve to play for the championship, regardless of being #3 in the BCS right now.

Hawaii, well, they are in a really weak conference but won't get to play for the championship, no matter what.....unless ALL of the teams ahead of them lose again.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

Tokyojoe wrote:
Just remember, the best team doesn't ALWAYS win. That is proven with all of the top ranked teams with a loss to unranked teams. Ten of those this year.

If Kansas can go undefeated and win the Big 12, they definitely deserve to play for the championship, regardless of being #3 in the BCS right now.

Hawaii, well, they are in a really weak conference but won't get to play for the championship, no matter what.....unless ALL of the teams ahead of them lose again.

that's my point. due to the BCS, some teams that "deserve" to be there will NEVER be....a playoff scheme would fix that.

JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

6 for 6 so far for playoffs. I don't know anyone who likes the BCS system.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:35 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

8 for 8 after my vote. BCS is a pathetic joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:21 am 
I live here
I live here

There has got to be more than 9 college football fans and one non-fan on LOST.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Playoff is the only way to go. GO CARDS! Maybe they won't suck next year.

Well at least there is always basketball. Number 6 preseason.

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:10 am 
Master of the Blender

Letting some group of guys and a couple of computers determine if a team is 'eligible' to go to a bowl game is just plain ree-dic-olus. Let 'em go thru the ropes of getting to the playoffs, if they don't make it all the way then there's always next year. And if one or two teams consistently make it thats just life...

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
LOST Member

I prefer playoffs myself ...

but here is my argument for BCS [ ]

Skink super sliders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:49 pm 
I live here
I live here

Where's the argument?

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:20 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

I like the playoff idea for several reasons, but the biggest is more football instead of those long weeks between the end of most seasons and the serious bowls. This is not just for my viweing pleasure, but I think it would help the teams, especially those without league champioships.

Not trying to make excuses, but just as an example: OSU had not played in 6 weeks before they played for the championshiop last season. I don't think that gets you teams playing their best ball in the big bowls.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's all in the hands of each of the BCS conference's university presidents. They are afraid that with a playoff, you'll take some of the luster off of the BCS bowls and therefore the $$$ will disappear a bit. This is their arguement, not mine.

I want a playoff - they should set-up a 4-and-1 playoff: take the top 4 teams, then take the winner for the BCS Championship Game.

(BTW, hope Lloyd Carr retires soon, no wait, NOW... GO BLUE!)

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:07 am 
I live here
I live here

CONGRATS BUCKEYES!!! for BEATING that team up North for the fourth time in five years.

Payback to the Wolverines for sneaking in John Cooper into the OSU coaching job back in 1988 (my first year at OSU and their FIRST losing season in decades).

Oklahoma lost.....Oregon lost. Kansas and Missouri have to play each other, then play Oklahoma (most likely) for the Big 12 Championship). LSU might play Georgia in the SEC Championship and lose......WVa has a way of choking when it counts (two games left).

Buckeyes still have a chance.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:16 pm 
I live here
I live here

Fixing the NCAA Football dilema.

1. Conferences are of varying sizes and creates problems.
2. Conference Championships are stupid
3. Four teams are independents - creating problems
4. They can play a team twice
5. They don't play all of the teams in their conference
6. A team with a terrible record (crummy division) can win a conference championship

There are 120 Div 1A teams

Solutions:

1. Make 12 balanced conferences of 10 teams
2. Every team plays all the other teams in their conferences
3. Conference Champ is determined by:
-- A. Best conference record
-- B. If two teams tie - head-to-head determines winner
-- C. If three or more teams tie - decided in this order
---- 1. Head-to-head
---- 2. Combined point spread in games played against each other (i.e. W 21-7 = 14 pts, L 14-0 = - 14 pts, W 7-3 = 4 pts so 14-14+4 = 4 pts)
---- 3. Conference Officials + Conference Head Coahces vote
---- 4. AP-ESPN ranking
4. Nine games are played in Conferences. Allow 2 Games played outside of Conference.
5. Conference Champs (twelve teams) + 4 At-large teams play in a playoff.
6. Random determination of who plays who, except that at-large teams can't play in their Conference Champs bracket.

Total of 4 playoff games = 15 games played for the total season. Other teams not in playoffs get to play in Bowl games (no team at .500 or less gets to play - must be a winning record)

Flaws - teams will run scores up in early games against all teams. Once they are deep into the year and playing a team completely out of the race, they don't have to worry about running up the score.
- Two teams, from the same conference could play in the championship game. Same can happen in NCAA Basketball

This ensures schools get the most from players that they know will leave after their sophomore or junior years for the NFL.

Any team not wanting to be a part of this will be dropped to the lower Division level (that would cost them a ton of money).

The At-Large teams choosen from second place teams only. How?

1. All non-conference games are played at the beginning of the season (first two games)
2. Head-to-head eliminates the losing team if they played another second place team from another conference
3. Best records
4. AP-ESPN rankings

Okay, if you made it this far....your thoughts?

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Well, No one else will step up so I guess I will. BCS gets my vote!

I'll start by saying, no I'm not a fan of the way the BCS is now. A bunch of comps crunching numbers to tell us who's the best is stupid. And of course then there's the favortism some schools just don't get any love. We have ENTIRELY to many bowl games. I bleed Oklahoma State Orange, and while it's nice we get to go to a bowl game this year, what does it mean? Nothing!!! No one will remember the '07 insight.com bowl... it won't do anything for us, and we probably won't get any recruits we haven't already becuase of it. It's just another way to get money into the hands of the University and the owners of the bowl.

But, I'd hate to see a play off scenerio. You can't expect college football to play that many games after a season with out some stupid upsets and too many teams losing players due to injury. It's way to physical to keep up with the demanding pace of a playoff schedule, you'd be losing players left and right. Personally I don't agree that a team that's mediocre to come into a playoff and knockoff teams that have proven they're worth week in and week out.

The way the BCS is for the most part sets up the best possible match up at the end of the season.

Now, where did I put that fire suit??? :D

Tow Hooks ~ HH Rear Hitch
Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:27 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I like your plan Tokyojoe. But I'm not sure about the tie-breaker. Are you talking about them playing an extra game (head-to-head) to determine it? In a hypothetical world, I like the idea (definitely the best way to resolve it). But when would they play this extra game? What would everyone else do while the tie breaker games going on? Would they get a week off? I'm not criticizing the plan, just trying to understand it better.

I'd be fine with just using their +/- rating to resolve ties (like your example, CSU defeats CU 21-7 [hee hee], so CSU is +14 on the season -vs- CU). Or we could do inner-conference +/- rating. Might be a better view of the team's collective skill instead of just judging it off one game.

I like the 9 games in and 2 game out idea, and I really like the idea to make those 2 out games the first two games of the season. Nice idea.

pokefan wrote:

Now that's funny. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

If NCAA Div. III and Div II can both do playoffs, so can Division I...its all about money at this point...advertising 30+ bowl games is more lucrative than having 16 playoffs (or whatever number it would be.) Its a shame and they need to dopt what the other divisions are doing.

JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:49 pm 
I live here
I live here

dog_party wrote:
I like your plan Tokyojoe. But I'm not sure about the tie-breaker. Are you talking about them playing an extra game (head-to-head) to determine it? In a hypothetical world, I like the idea (definitely the best way to resolve it). But when would they play this extra game? What would everyone else do while the tie breaker games going on? Would they get a week off? I'm not criticizing the plan, just trying to understand it better.

I'd be fine with just using their +/- rating to resolve ties (like your example, CSU defeats CU 21-7 [hee hee], so CSU is +14 on the season -vs- CU). Or we could do inner-conference +/- rating. Might be a better view of the team's collective skill instead of just judging it off one game.

I like the 9 games in and 2 game out idea, and I really like the idea to make those 2 out games the first two games of the season. Nice idea.

pokefan wrote:

Now that's funny. :lol:

No, if teams are tied in conference wins for first place, the tiebreaker is decided by who beat who. ie. if Ohio state and Michigan both had 8-1 conference records, yet Ohio State beat Michigan, then Ohio State would win the conference. If OSU beat Michigan, Michigan beat Illinois, and Illinois beat OSU (like this year) but all three had 8-1 records, then you would go to option two of who had the largest spread between the three teams (see above).

Pote: You can still have playoff games AND bowl games to satisfy the money mongers.

[b]Retired, US Military