It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone following the Dave Ramsey Debt Free Plan?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 am 
I live here
I live here

Don't forget that your credit score is very important and if you never use credit and only pay in cash, your score can drop.

I'm working on saving enough to buy a second home and rent my current condo. My friend in the mortgage industry told me to build up enough reserves for six months of mortgage payments...just in case you go without a renter in the other place for a few months. I'm working on it.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
Don't forget that your credit score is very important and if you never use credit and only pay in cash, your score can drop.

Maintaining credit cards for the sake of maintaining “credit” is an interesting topic. Dave Ramsey says that he doesn’t care about his credit score and often questions people’s intentions when they talk about credit scores. Note: Dave Ramsey get's a lot of criticism for this viewpoint. I know that’s easy for Dave Ramsey to say because he’s financially well-off, but he still would like to see everyone pay cash for college, vehicles, and other items that would normally be financed. Based on his approach, the need to maintain a high credit score would not be as relevant.

Dave Ramsey also believes that there is more power in CASH than in credit scores. If you have CASH, then you have the “power” to negotiate the interest rate that you feel is fair. The power of money goes a long way. Dave Ramsey would also suggest putting money into assets. I know from experience that our assets have outweighed credit.

Personally, we have chosen to take Dave Ramsey’s philosophy and apply it to our lifestyle. I use the word, “lifestyle” because it’s a way of living that is quite opposite of what society tells you to do.

Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer. It all goes back to “lifestyle”. For those like Tokyojoe who want to continue to make “free” money off of credit cards and maintain “excellent” credit status, then I think you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Either way, we don't need debt to have a good credit score. Image

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:57 am 
I live here
I live here

Tell that to the finance company regarding the house you want to buy when they want to give you a higher mortgage rate due to a lower score.....even if you do have more money for a Down.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
Tell that to the finance company regarding the house you want to buy when they want to give you a higher mortgage rate due to a lower score.....even if you do have more money for a Down.

There are several factors. First, you have to remember that when you stop using credit, that doesn’t mean your score continues to go down. No credit means you don’t have a credit score, which is completely different than having bad credit. You can still get a mortgage, car loan, etc with no score. Second, I don’t deal with large banks. I only deal with small banks. Because I own property in different states, I deal with small banks in each state. Those small banks know me by name and would give me what I need for a very competitive “locked-in” interest rate. Again, my assets are worth more than my credit score. There’s a lot of homes that have gone into foreclosure by people who have high credit scores. Small banks didn’t take the risk, instead they looked at debt-to-income ratio, assets, banking history, etc. The big banks took the risk. And because of reckless decisions, FICO is now looking to change how they compute credit scores. After all, FICO was developed for lenders, not consumers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

while i use credit cards/debt for my gain and in my favor, don't forget that they are the enemy. Anyone reading this that has just started using credit and amassing debt? watch this: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Maxed ... height2168

there are other movies and much info out there about how bad the lending industry is and how they could really care less about your credit score once you can't make those payments. just make sure to never give them a dime of your money while "borrowing" theirs. have cash on hand to pay the card for every purchase you make. don't let them get the upper hand and keep you in debt for eternity. :2cents:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Last edited by JJsTJ on Thu May 17, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ brought up a good point. You don’t want to go into debt to build credit. The key is to borrow money to gain credit, meaning that you already have the cash in hand.

Also, if you use credit cards only for the rewards, then you may want to find a bank that offers debit cards that do the same (money back rewards just like a credit card). Since I use my debit card for everything, I build better history with my banks. My banks have the ability to monitor how much money is coming in and how much money is going out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Insider trading.... that's what got me here... what I lack in marketable skillz I make up for in evil... :P

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Interesting thread. Having been both in heavy debt and now debt free, I can tell you being debt free is a better place to be.

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Grannysgoat wrote:
Interesting thread.

I found an interesting quote: "Jim Wang at Bargaineering likes the debt snowball approach, saying: “Dave Ramsey might not be giving you the mathematically correct plan but he also knows that personal finance is as much about psychology as it is about math.”

Grannysgoat wrote:
Having been both in heavy debt and now debt free, I can tell you being debt free is a better place to be.

Most definitely. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 am 
I live here
I live here

dieselenthusiast wrote:
JJsKJ brought up a good point. You don’t want to go into debt to build credit. The key is to borrow money to gain credit, meaning that you already have the cash in hand.

Also, if you use credit cards only for the rewards, then you may want to find a bank that offers debit cards that do the same (money back rewards just like a credit card). Since I use my debit card for everything, I build better history with my banks. My banks have the ability to monitor how much money is coming in and how much money is going out.

Yes, but debit cards open up your checking account to thieves that get your debit card info. Enough stories out there about people's accounts being wiped out once the losers steal your identity/debit card info.

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
Yes, but debit cards open up your checking account to thieves that get your debit card info. Enough stories out there about people's accounts being wiped out once the losers steal your identity/debit card info.

I’ve heard that can be a problem. Perhaps paying online (using bill pay) and writing checks would be a better option.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am 
LOST Member

Over this last deployment the base Chaplin has taken the time to come to my boat and go through the videos and the book with us. It was a condensed version but it was awesome. . . I am definitely gonna talk the wife into sitting through the whole thing. Got most of the steps complete just got to get back to the states get back settled in and pay off the truck, and work on a few months worth of pay to survive on in that just incase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can’t remember where I found this quote, but I thought it was worth posting:

“Some of Ramsey’s advice goes against the conventional personal finance current. For example, he doesn’t care about FICO scores, because he is opposed to using credit. He advocates “The Weird Way to Buy a House”: If you absolutely cannot pay cash, put at least 20% down and get a 15-year fixed-rate mortgage with a payment that is no more than 25% of your take-home pay.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 am 
LOST Addict

We put most everything on our Discover card and pay it off every Friday. It amuses me to see the total purchases and payments on the monthly statement well above the card's limit. Normally the card is only 1% cash back, but every time they do the 5% promotions we sign up for them whether we plan on doing the type of shopping they require or not. Thus far we have only redeemed cash back via gift cards as $45 cash back buys a $50 gift card.

:BANANA: Gotta love free money. :pepper:

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

“You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.”

“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.”

“You must walk to the beat of a different drummer. The same beat that the wealthy hear. If the beat sounds normal, evacuate the dance floor immediately! The goal is to not be normal, because as my radio listeners know, normal is broke.”

“Without a mission statement, you may get to the top of the ladder and then realize it was leaning against the wrong building!”

-Dave Ramsey

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wanted to give an update. It’s been nearly 1.3 years since I originally posted. Since posting, we have reduced our college loans from $30,000 combined down to $18,000 combined. We owed $12,000 on our travel trailer and have recently paid it off. And at the time, we still owed about $9,000 in credit cards and have paid them off. So other than student loans and the property that we bought, we have no other debts.

We haven’t used credit since we last bought our 2008 travel trailer. For the first time in nearly 4 years, we are now trying to acquire credit in search for a construction loan. The bank recently pulled our credit score. Our credit score is better now than it was back in 2008, which was a good sign. There are two observations that I would like to point out. (1) We cut up every credit card in 2010 and have not used credit since, which apparently didn’t hurt our credit score; however, (2) we did pay off a significant amount of debt during that time frame including our truck loan, jeep loan, and RV loan, therefore that credit history may have stimulated and “maintained” our credit. But here’s the funny thing, we meet and exceed the credit score qualifications for a construction loan, although, the bank is requiring a larger sum of money down. So this goes back to Dave Ramsey’s theory that credit (by itself) doesn’t mean much to the bank. Banks want to see $$$$. “CASH IS KING.” I told the bank that I don’t have much money in the bank because I’m trying to become debt free. I said, "why have $20,000 in the bank when I have $20,000 in debt?" And they agreed, lol. I’m still in negotiations with the bank, but so far I have declined their request to put and X amount of money into a 2 year fixed CD and their request to put down an X amount of money for the construction loan. If I have to, I’ll wait another year to build.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Congrats. I so need to do this with my wife, I think we could get all our stuff paid off, other than the house within a year.
Pretty soon you can call his show and yell "we are debt free" :mrgreen:

just wondering, do you make any purchases over internet? How do you pay without CC's?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
Congrats. I so need to do this with my wife, I think we could get all our stuff paid off, other than the house within a year.

In January of 2011 you said, "We have his plan, just have never stuck to it very close." :mrgreen: Putting all humor to the side, you should talk to your wife and develop a plan ASAP. 8)

TAHOE wrote:
Pretty soon you can call his show and yell "we are debt free" :mrgreen: ?

We feel pretty compassionate about becoming debt free, building a retirement, and enjoying life. I realize that Dave Ramsey and his debt free plan isn't flawless, but I think his message is a good one to follow. But to respond to your comment, I would consider taking an RV trip down to his studio and personally thank him for inspiring us. I guess if he put me on the "air", I might yell, "We're debt free". :mrgreen:

TAHOE wrote:
just wondering, do you make any purchases over internet? How do you pay without CC's?

We live 1 hour from the nearest town/city, so yes; we do a lot of shopping online. We mainly use Pay Pal for internet orders. Sometimes, depending on what I'm buying, we might use the debit card. To be honest, we haven't missed owning credit cards.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I wanted to give an update. It’s been nearly 1.3 years since I originally posted. Since posting, we have reduced our college loans from $30,000 combined down to $18,000 combined. We owed $12,000 on our travel trailer and have recently paid it off. And at the time, we still owed about $9,000 in credit cards and have paid them off. So other than student loans and the property that we bought, we have no other debts.

We haven’t used credit since we last bought our 2008 travel trailer. For the first time in nearly 4 years, we are now trying to acquire credit in search for a construction loan. The bank recently pulled our credit score. Our credit score is better now than it was back in 2008, which was a good sign. There are two observations that I would like to point out. (1) We cut up every credit card in 2010 and have not used credit since, which apparently didn’t hurt our credit score; however, (2) we did pay off a significant amount of debt during that time frame including our truck loan, jeep loan, and RV loan, therefore that credit history may have stimulated and “maintained” our credit. But here’s the funny thing, we meet and exceed the credit score qualifications for a construction loan, although, the bank is requiring a larger sum of money down. So this goes back to Dave Ramsey’s theory that credit (by itself) doesn’t mean much to the bank. Banks want to see $$$$. “CASH IS KING.” I told the bank that I don’t have much money in the bank because I’m trying to become debt free. I said, "why have $20,000 in the bank when I have $20,000 in debt?" And they agreed, lol. I’m still in negotiations with the bank, but so far I have declined their request to put and X amount of money into a 2 year fixed CD and their request to put down an X amount of money for the construction loan. If I have to, I’ll wait another year to build.

Actually, working with developers, since the banking crisis of 2008 banks are really shy about construction loans. I was working a deal on putting up a $12M hotel in North Dakota, but the banks wouldn't budge on construction loans. There was a time when the developer only needed to put up 2%, now they need 20-30%.
You can make a lot of money in development -- if you have money to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fratichelli wrote:
Actually, working with developers, since the banking crisis of 2008 banks are really shy about construction loans. I was working a deal on putting up a $12M hotel in North Dakota, but the banks wouldn't budge on construction loans. There was a time when the developer only needed to put up 2%, now they need 20-30%.

Yes, that seems to be very true. Not only is our credit score good, but our debt to income ratio is good. Part of our problem is that we want to build in the mountains where it’s rural. Wells Fargo punched in my physical address and said, “Sorry, we don’t do loans in your zip code.” Currently, I’m working with a small local bank. Since I’m a new customer, they’re testing me out.

What doesn’t make since is that I can walk into a dealership and buy a brand-new $45,000 dollar Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel with a plethora of willing banks to choose from. How does that work?