It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another project:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Picked this guy up today, $2000, 2000 with 188k on it. Needs a thorough cleaning inside and out, kinda needs the roof repainted. Needs brakes, valve cover gasket, pass Ujoint etc etc. Hopefully I can get something like $3700-4000 out of it.

Post subject: Re: Another project:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:43 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

have you ever thought about investing in cragar soft 8 rims in a rebuild? wondering if that would increase he value to someone that really wants a cherokee

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:15 pm 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
have you ever thought about investing in cragar soft 8 rims in a rebuild? wondering if that would increase he value to someone that really wants a cherokee

Nope, generally stuff like that doesn't add anything to the value, and many times will detract from the value. Most people who buy jeeps from me are not looking for an off road vehicle, they are just looking for cheap reliable transportation with the ability to haul a few people and a little bit of cargo, to them some ugly cragars are just something they didn't want and doesn't make more desirable. Black steel wheels - ugly = shiny/silver alloy wheels = pretty.

Honestly if this thing came with soft 8's on it I would be switching them to a set of stock steelies or alloy wheels, then sell off the soft 8s for $100 if I am lucky.

If this were a TJ it might be a different story, as mild lifts and tires will generally sit right with the type of person who wants a TJ.

As you can see its dirty and it needs a little love, I'll end up repainting the roof on it I'm pretty sure, it just wouldn't be something I flip if it didn't need some paint I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice………….. I love the PR4 paint. Flame Red and Solar Yellow were the best colors for the XJ.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 am 
LOST Addict

Spent some time today and I think I got the brakes all sorted out, will do a final adjustment on the rear drums tomorrow and then move onto the cooling system.

I don't understand how people let stuff get this bad:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:46 pm 
LOST Addict

What kind of shoes do you wear when you work on this project?
What kind of glass do you pour your beer into?

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

JL Rockies wrote:
What kind of shoes do you wear when you work on this project?
What kind of glass do you pour your beer into?

Barefoot.

I drink it straight from the keg and by the keg.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:34 am 
LOST Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is she almost done?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Turning out real nice!
Looks good for sure
wish you could find some around here that looked in that good of shape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

I dunno man, I wouldn't call it good condition when I got it, it was pretty rough. It kinda came together today with the little bit of black paint I did. Hopefully tomorrow I can throw the seats back in amorall the interior, and take some pretty pictures to get it up for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:28 am 
LOST Member

those are some nice rims on there!! it's looking great! nice work.

do you see a huge value improvement over the stock steelies had you painted them a nice shiny silver? instead of putting on the other rims? or it is just easier to sell this way?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:35 pm 
LOST Addict

devlish wrote:
those are some nice rims on there!! it's looking great! nice work.

do you see a huge value improvement over the stock steelies had you painted them a nice shiny silver? instead of putting on the other rims? or it is just easier to sell this way?

Not just a huge value increase with the alloys. I did what I did for a few reasons:

The old tires were mismatched, off brand, and very worn, they weren't just undrivable or unsafe, yet. But they were not a selling point and to anyone that looked at them were a detraction.

I picked up this set of alloy wheels for like $60 back in the fall for this very purpose, figured I would use it to dress up a Jeep that I was flipping. This one seemed like a good candidate, not wrecked, straight body, gonna be pretty anyways when its done.

I got some used tires from a junkyard, actually just kinda lucked out on those, so I got a set with good tread for $73 after tax for BFG long trail TA(which is the tire I run on both my XJ and KJ right now) in a 235/75/15.

So I had 4 loose wheels, and 4 loose tires, Repainted the wheels and man do they look sharp, new used tires on nicely scrubbed and it dresses up the appearance a fair amount.

For the most part people need to have an emotional attachment to a vehicle when they see it, shiny paint, clean interior, and clean/shiny wheels will do that job. It's amazing how much different it looks now with the new wheels, but even more noticeably the black paint on the trim. An $8 can of black paint made more difference than the $200 worth of tires/wheels that I put on. Funny how that works huh?

So its a combination of things, its a little bit of a value improvement, but mostly its an appearance thing, it makes it feel like its worth more, not that mechanically its any better, with the exception of having good tires on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
Looks real nice. 8) I want a yellow one someday. Maybe.

You know you want one:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

what paint for the flairs...a friend of mine wants it re done

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Does that have gamblers on it? I think that was for sale not long ago on craigslist here in CO.

Personally I don't like the yellow painted fender flares and bumpers of the sports, I think the Freedoms like much better in yellow than the sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
what paint for the flairs...a friend of mine wants it re done

On the textured black fender flares I recommend cleaning them first with denatured alcohol and then spraying them with duplicolor trim paint. The duplicolor stuff has just the right amount of sheen to it without being too glossy. It also dries quickly and will last for years. I painted the left front fender flare on my XJ 2 years ago when I hit the deer, the paint is still holding up well but I can tell that the topmost part is a little sunburnt after 2 years of the CO sun. (so like 4-5 years of a midwest sun, and like 1 of an AZ sun)

Duplicolor:

DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT use rustoleum for this type of job, despite the rather inviting label:

The rustoleum takes forever to dry and has way too much gloss for the XJ black plastic and bumpers. duplicolor may be a couple of bucks more per can, but its worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sam, it’s the exact same Jeep. The link that you sent me from Craigslist showed the same pics that I saw on her facebook page. It’s was kinda strange to experience such a coincidence. The obvious was the custom yellow dash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Does that have gamblers on it? I think that was for sale not long ago on craigslist here in CO.

It does. I do remember her saying that she picked it up from someone in CO (can't recall exact location). I prefer the black flares/trim. Here's another pic...

Yup thats the one, here is the original ad in case your interested:
http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/yellowxj2door.pdf

Good looking jeep, needs a stock (non yellow) radio bezel, some silverstars or moabs, and it would be one slick ride.