It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stupid global warming....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

... turning the environment into deserts and junk...
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-flooding-brings-long-dead-sevier-lake-back-to-life-20110718,0,948259.story

DELTA, Utah—
In the flooding that hit Utah, something very unique is emerging in the middle of Utah's West Desert. A remnant of prehistoric Lake Bonneville is filling with water again.

It's a very strange sight. Flooding in the middle of the desert and the Sevier Lake, which has historically been a dry lake bed, is now seeing water again.

"This is a rare event!" said Greg Lesher, who lives in the desert just outside the town of Hinckley.

It's not a mirage, Lesher said. He's traveled around the desert taking pictures of the flooding. He showed Fox 13 around his home, which is almost an island because of the flooding.

All over the area, sagebrush is under water. Fish were seen swimming by the side of the road.

"I've seen 2-foot long carp swimming through the culverts," Lesher said. "Lots of ducks and shorebirds I've never seen out in the desert before."

Sevier Lake is a prehistoric remnant of Lake Bonneville. It had water in it when it was discovered in the 1700s by famed Spanish explorers, Fathers Dominguez and Escalante. Mormon settlers diverted the Sevier River and used the water for farming -- turning Sevier Lake into desert.

"The Sevier River is used up before it ever reaches its destination," said Sindy McMichael at the Great Basin Historic Museum in Delta. "It's used up for irrigation or else it's evaporation."

Recent runoff has swelled the Sevier River, and sent water rushing back into the lake.

"I was told ever since the Sevier River was used for irrigation, the lake bed has been dry," McMichael said. "Except during the floods of 1983."

Recently, flooding has wiped out roads. Sevier Lake will have water in it for quite some time, but there aren't any roads leading out there. The bed is salty -- as much as two times saltier than the ocean.

"This, historically, is a dry riverbed. Occasionally you'll get a little bit of runoff or the drains from the farming will let a little bit of water down. But never like this," Leshar said. "It's crazy!"

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject: Re: Stupid global warming....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Crazy hot here. Day #32 above 100° here at my house. Rest of this week looks to be 106-109. Heading to the water park to cool off...

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here too but it is summer. Day 38 over 100. 111 right now. It was hotter in the 80's than this year. Heading to Colorado in the morning to cool off and some great high country wheeling. :JEEPIN:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here in Seattle we've hardly had a summer. Only been over 80 a hand full of times. We've had a lot more days with a high below 70. I guess that's how global warming is going to affect the PNW. I foresee a population boom up here if temperatures continue to climb in the rest of the country.

Also I wonder if the cause of all that flooding is increased snow melt in the high country?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

BAHHH global warming is a buzz phrase for hippies trying to change how we use resources. Bold attempt. Bold face lie too.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

liquidxit2 wrote:
BAHHH global warming is a buzz phrase for hippies trying to change how we use resources. Bold attempt. Bold face lie too.

Earth no doubt is in a warming phase right now but then again this kind of stuff has been going on long before us humans started wrecking this awesome planet. The media and freaked out public is what cause the label "global warming".
Hippies have nuttin to do with it, they plant stuff that creates oxygen and love a green earth :jester:
Blame the ones that "just say no" and dress the part of a earth lovin hippy cause they love them band wagon rides. :jester: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

a percent.. of a percent

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 am 
LOST Member

No big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No big deal, just a normal cycle.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:42 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

thats what i said in my oceanography class...guy got pissed

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
thats what i said in my oceanography class...guy got pissed

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

All of the global warming stuff sells people on trying to protect the world, little do they know its always changing.
One of my friends is a guide on Mount Kilimanjaro. He is 62, been doing it since he was 16, his father and grandfather also did the same thing so he knows the mountain.
25 years ago the US government climbed it and put some stakes in to see how much the ice cap was receding, they are covered up now he told me. Some areas there is less but other areas more.
Who knows how much longer Mother Earth is going to let us live here? Lets just have fun until shes tired of us! :ROTFL: