It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone here a pilot in the service??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Lookin for some info on what I need to do to get into pilot school in the service.
Want to fly fighter jets, but if I can't get into that then attack helo's are my next choice.
I know I need to have my bachelors to fly and pretty much be the best of the best to be looked at.
I'd rather join then go to school to have them pay for it so I don't have to worry about getting student loans and such.
Been thinking about going ROTC or BDCP to get my bachelors. Whats my best bet?

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

Post subject: Re: Anyone here a pilot in the service??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You bring the funny :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Haters gonna hate.

Well see who's laughing when I'm cruising at 300mph 20k feet.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Better have a spotless record as I believe you need a pretty high clearance to be a pilot and the back ground checks are pretty harsh.Any medical issues and forget being a pilot in today's military.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Air Force Academy would be a good start.........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Better have a spotless record as I believe you need a pretty high clearance to be a pilot and the back ground checks are pretty harsh.Any medical issues and forget being a pilot in today's military.

I have nothing on my record, 20/15 vision, and nothing wrong with me medically so I'm good there. But I know there are other factors that I can't control that will keep me from flying, like the shape of my eyeballs. And I'm being serious about that.

ATXKJ wrote:
Air Force Academy would be a good start.........

I have been thinking about that but I hear you need to have like a 4.0 GPA to get in. My HS gpa was only 3.2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

either the acad, or AFROTC with top PT and top gpa's, it's one of the better ways other than the acad to get osi or a pilots slot

and getting a slot still doesn't mean youd end up a pilot

want a /guaranteed/ pilots position.. go buy a Cessna

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Budke wrote:
pretty much be the best of the best to be looked at.

Budke wrote:
My HS gpa was only 3.2.

Okay - lots of applicants - few openings - the screening for 'best of the best' starts with- how well have you done with the opportunities you've had and that includes GPA.

that doesn't mean you can't make it - it means you have to be really serious about approaching it - ROTC would be an option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:01 pm 
LOST Member

My brother is a retired B-1 Captain and my nephew, his son is going through the Air Force flight program as we speak. There are multiple ways to go. None guarantee a pilot spot. 1) pick a Military Academy and do well and make sure your CO's know who you are for the right reasons 2) pay for your flight training in your own, attend a college with ROTC get good grades and make sure your CO's know who you are. 3) look into colleges like Parks Air School in Saint Louis. It's a college that also teaches flight training as it's curriculum and has ROTC get good grades and make sure your CI's know who you are. 4) Skip College, join the Army do well, make sure your CO's know who you are, attend Warrant Office School, do well, make sure your CO's know who you are and fly helicopters. Most important thing.... The Military is a face game. It's about who knows you and there feeling toward you and your abilities. Simple fact, Pisa off your CO your not doing crud. Good luck!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.363495,-111.810211

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Easist flying job in the military to get would be helicopters in the Army. When I was in AF tech school, the Army was actively recruited Helicopter pilots from the USAF enlisted ranks. (The only issue was if you washed out, you couldn't go back to the AF, you were still in the Army)

I recommend you get fixed wing license first on your own. (about $5k) and get at least some college under your belt, maybe a two year degree. A lot of community colleges offer Aircraft mechanic certification. Its a much easier choice for the Army to select someone that already knows how to fly and can fix em as well.

Private pilot ~ 40 hours at $120 a flight hour = $4800, but count on it taking 50 hours to get your license. Go buy the book and start studying, its not hard.

Flying careers aren't all they are made out to be. Sure you hear about the United 747 captains bringing in $200,000 a year, but they spent a lot of years making 20, 30k. Most commercial pilots work like slaves to gain enough hours to qualify for the next step and don't see that kind of cash until they are in thier 50's. (unless they have connections)

Univ of Illinois has a professional pilot program, but they wouldn't allow any student to just be in the PP program. They all had to have another major so you could survive while working thier way up the ladder. Accounting was a particularly popular major for the PP students. They could take vacation in March and do taxes, make almost as much money in one month as they did flying in the other 11.

Good luck.

Retired USAF MSgt
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Id like to get private flight lessons but I dont have the time nor money to do that. I'm starting to look into helos more. It seems the be the easiest route to go while still getting to do something I would enjoy and having a decent amount of job opportunities when I get out. When I have time I'm going to talk to the usaf recruiter and see what it takes to get into the academy and see what he thinks would be the best route for me to go to get into a jet in the situation I'm in. I dont plan on making a commitment for another few months so I have time to do more research and figure out my best plan of action. I appreciate all the info you guys have given me. Except for ridenby's.......

Sent using the force

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:41 am 
LOST Junkie

To be a chopper pilot in the Army all you have to be is at least E4 then drop a packet. If you pass that they run alotta tests on you and stuff. Pass that and your in their "school", when your done you come out a W2 and you can fly. The only reason I know this is my platoon sgt dropped his packet, he's trying to get picked up. This is a dumb question, but have you flown in a chopper before? Just asking cause we had some guys here talking mad stinky poo then our first air assualt mission they couldn't handle it lol. Some people like it some don't. I enjoy it, nice view.

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:47 am 
LOST Member

Budke wrote:
Lookin for some info on what I need to do to get into pilot school in the service.
Want to fly fighter jets, but if I can't get into that then attack helo's are my next choice.
I know I need to have my bachelors to fly and pretty much be the best of the best to be looked at.
I'd rather join then go to school to have them pay for it so I don't have to worry about getting student loans and such.

Get a college degree in Aeronautical Engineering, join the Navy. My stepson is a pilot on P-3 over in Bahrain right now. As far as flying F-18, you have to be the right person to qualify for that. Navy is the best in my opinion for training. Have a good friend who is retired Liuetenant from Navy who flew a lot of jet fighter aircraft and ended up a flight instructor at Miramar his last few years. Says nothing would give him a pucker factor like landing on a carrier in the night.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:53 am 
LOST Addict

I don't think that pilots are allowed to smoke a lot of pot.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

KJ_WHEELER_2010 wrote:
To be a chopper pilot in the Army all you have to be is at least E4 then drop a packet. If you pass that they run alotta tests on you and stuff. Pass that and your in their "school", when your done you come out a W2 and you can fly. The only reason I know this is my platoon sgt dropped his packet, he's trying to get picked up. This is a dumb question, but have you flown in a chopper before? Just asking cause we had some guys here talking mad stinky poo then our first air assualt mission they couldn't handle it lol. Some people like it some don't. I enjoy it, nice view.

I've flown in a chopper before, never flown one before though. I had a blast riding in it. I think after the right training can handle combat. I love flying in planes and helo's, the view from up high is amazing and its a feeling like no other. Its just great.

JL Rockies wrote:

Dude, stfu and gtfo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

JL Rockies wrote:

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: wait this isn't vietnam? :shock:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:09 am 
LOST Member

bhc04 wrote:
Budke wrote:

Get a college degree in Aeronautical Engineering, join the Navy. My stepson is a pilot on P-3 over in Bahrain right now. As far as flying F-18, you have to be the right person to qualify for that. Navy is the best in my opinion for training. Have a good friend who is retired Liuetenant from Navy who flew a lot of jet fighter aircraft and ended up a flight instructor at Miramar his last few years. Says nothing would give him a pucker factor like landing on a carrier in the night.

Squid. The Navy is nothing but a taxi service. Marines all the way!!! Semper Fi! Not biased or anything. Lol!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh .. Lawd.

:lol:

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fighter jets-Navy. Choppers-Army. Army's better lol, never met an Army pilot I didn't trust.....those Navy flyboys on the other hand......