It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My near death experence (PLEASE READ)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Monday I went to go to the doctor because I thought I had a sinus infection. Turns out I tested positive for strep throat. I was at Urgent Care in Somerset to see the doctor. They gave me a shot of Rocephin (a type of Penicillin). Not even two minutes after the nurse gave me the injection and told me to sit down; I became very dissy and could barely hold myself up. I yelled for someone to help. One of the nurses came in and asked if I was okay. I told her what I was experencing. She called for help and had me stand up to go lay down on the bed. That's all I remember. I blacked out completely; woke up shaking complusively, sweating really hard and numbness around my face and hands. When I woke up, I had three women from there standing around me. Turns out I had an Anaphylactic Reaction. They gave me a shot form of an Epi-Pen and called for the ambulance to take me to the E.R. at Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital. I almost died from this. My blood pressure got really low and my pulse was down to 28 beats per minute. I was that close to dying; only 28 beats away from my heart giving out. They kept me overnight Monday and released me a little after 3:30 P.M. today (Tuesday).

I have all intentions of making ECS next week since I cancled my wisdon teeth surgery. I'm just blessed to be alive right now and owe everything to the ladies at Urgent Care who saved my life Monday. God knew it wasn't my time to go and has bigger plans for me in the future. Can't wait to see everyone next week at ECS.

Post subject: Re: My near death experence (PLEASE READ)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm 
LOST Member

Anaphylaxis can certainly hit suddenly and is most certainly an emergency. Had you ever had a reaction to any types of penicillin before? Because that will certainly be something to keep in mind next time you are administered any antibiotics especially if it is a penicillin derivative of which there are many. Sounds like the Nurses did everything they should have which is another reason that you're still here to post this. Glad to hear you are feeling better and recovering nicely.

Flame Red, 3.7L V6, 42RLE, Command Trac, Mopar Fog Kit, Front Tow Hooks, Mopar Hitch, Mopar Skids, Renegade Rims, Firestone Destination AT's, Pre-lowered Springs, EVIC install, Cobra Ultra 18 Weather band CB Radio.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RedKJ04 wrote:
Anaphylaxis can certainly hit suddenly and is most certainly an emergency. Had you ever had a reaction to any types of penicillin before? Because that will certainly be something to keep in mind next time you are administered any antibiotics especially if it is a penicillin derivative of which there are many. Sounds like the Nurses did everything they should have which is another reason that you're still here to post this. Glad to hear you are feeling better and recovering nicely.

x2 Make sure you tell your doctor about it and get tested for a penicillin allergy so that it can be confirmed and placed in your charts. Glad your doing ok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RedKJ04 wrote:

Never had reactions to penicillin before. I'm staying away from anything remotely related to penicillin in the future. I'm on a different anitbotic to get the step throat out of my system. So far, so good.

God was definately with me. So very blessed to be alive and I hope to see everyone at ECS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
RedKJ04 wrote:

x2 Make sure you tell your doctor about it and get tested for a penicillin allergy so that it can be confirmed and placed in your charts. Glad your doing ok

I go to see my family doctor in 10 days. I don't need to be tested for it; almost died from it so that really says it all. Only need to inform my allergy and family doctor about it.
I didn't want to die and glad I'm still here. I guess when I blacked out, all I could see was black. At one point during my black out, I felt this peaceful slumber sleep start to kick in. I guess that's when my pulse dropped to 28 and I was about to die.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
You should still be tested as there are varying derivatives of penicillin, some of which may cause no reaction. It may not even be the penicillin, it could be an additive. Better be safe than sorry later on down the line when you get a different kind of drug with the same potential additive.

x2

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

with a reaction that severe - putting it in your medical records may be too late
you need to think about a Medic alert bracelet or something to that effect.

Glad you're Okay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah glad your okay.

Pretty much everyone on my mothers side of the family is allergic to PCN,my older sister is also so they took no chances and stated I was also.Kinda of a good thing as those PCN shots in Boot Camp did not look fun,they called it the peanut butter shot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
You should still be tested as there are varying derivatives of penicillin, some of which may cause no reaction. It may not even be the penicillin, it could be an additive. Better be safe than sorry later on down the line when you get a different kind of drug with the same potential additive.

To my knowledge, they don't test for that stuff. I go to my family doctor within a week. I'm going to inform my allergy doctor to see what she wants to do. The doctor who saw me today before I left said to stay away from Penicillin and any cousins of it. After what happen to me Monday, I really don't want to be tested for it even if it's a very very very small dose. I just want to take it easy right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gtommec wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:

x2

No...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
with a reaction that severe - putting it in your medical records may be too late
you need to think about a Medic alert bracelet or something to that effect.

Glad you're Okay.

Umm, how would it be too late to put it in my medical records? That's kind of a dumb thing to say. I go in a week to talk to my family doctor and I will inform my allergy doctor about what happen. I'm going to be rocking the bracelet and necklace soon.

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Better watch out for Blue Cheese too if you react to Penicillin. The bacteria used to make Blue Cheese (Penicillium) is in the same family as Penicillin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_cheese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillium

Ask you Doc, he/she will know if the dose from Blue Cheese is enough for you to go over the edge. :2cents:

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah glad your okay.

Pretty much everyone on my mothers side of the family is allergic to PCN,my older sister is also so they took no chances and stated I was also.Kinda of a good thing as those PCN shots in Boot Camp did not look fun,they called it the peanut butter shot.

Thanks Troy. Hope to see you next week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

warp2diesel wrote:
Better watch out for Blue Cheese too if you react to Penicillin. The bacteria used to make Blue Cheese (Penicillium) is in the same family as Penicillin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_cheese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillium

Ask you Doc, he/she will know if the dose from Blue Cheese is enough for you to go over the edge. :2cents:

I hate Blue Cheese anyways. I'm a very picky eater. Only sharp cheddar cheese for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:00 am 
LOST Addict

You could be only allergic to a Penicillin derivative and not penicillin itself. I cannot take penicillin itself, but I am not allergic to some others that are in the same family, and I love Blue cheese!!!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
You could be only allergic to a Penicillin derivative and not penicillin itself. I cannot take penicillin itself, but I am not allergic to some others that are in the same family, and I love Blue cheese!!!

I'm staying away from anything Penicillin and anything related to it. Not taking any chances!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

wow................. glad your ok

desert camo seats desert camo wraps
235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

steve03sport wrote:
wow................. glad your ok

thanks steve.

just thought i should let all my lost friends know what happen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Kinda of a good thing as those PCN shots in Boot Camp did not look fun,they called it the peanut butter shot.

nope not fun at all, had to do it 2 times, once for the first time i was in, and when i swapped services again :evil: it literally feels like someone is injecting pcn into your buttcheek.

glad your ok though! agree also on getting tested, you never know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock: WT Heck!
:? How didn't you know already? Never taken it I guess...
:D Your OK!

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...