It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever go, oh doo doo, what did I just do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought this today for 3k:

http://auc2.traauctions.com/kws/napplic ... Exit=Close

:shock:

Post subject: Re: Ever go, oh doo doo, what did I just do?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So where's the hail damage? It's hard to see in the pictures.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

It gas!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:38 pm 
LOST Addict

kskj wrote:
So where's the hail damage? It's hard to see in the pictures.

I don't know, hood looks like it has some, I'll let you know once I actually see it. I'll post more pics then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ZJ or WJ?
Would a Gateway Device like the guy used to put a TDI engine into a KJ work for putting a Sprinter engine into this beast?
Will Liquid Nitrogen pop out the dents?

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 am 
LOST Addict

is that for a diesel conversion? pics look good for being a 2003 with 168,000 miles and hail damage.

Post subject: Ever go, oh doo doo, what did I just do?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

if you do a diesel in that thing I will be keeping an eye on this build

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

warp2diesel wrote:
ZJ or WJ?
Would a Gateway Device like the guy used to put a TDI engine into a KJ work for putting a Sprinter engine into this beast?
Will Liquid Nitrogen pop out the dents?

99-04 grand cherokee's are WJs

The OM647 was originally offered in the WJ overseas, if you wanted to convert to one of those you would be best served importing a pullout out engine and wiring to convert it. I do not know if you could use the jeep wiring on the sprinter version of the OM647.

My buddy has access to LN2, so I'm gonna try it and see! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
is that for a diesel conversion? pics look good for being a 2003 with 168,000 miles and hail damage.

Nope, just bought it to flip it. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:51 pm 
LOST Addict

26mpg on the way home:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

that thing has the v8 in it that T-case does it have

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:15 am 
LOST Addict

teckman02 wrote:
that thing has the v8 in it that T-case does it have

NV247, its no 242 but I suppose it'll do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Got my plates and title today, theres another $150 down, yesterday I vacuumed it out, its actually pretty clean on the inside now without a bit of dog hair and such in the interior, I still need to find a rear cargo area tire cover, thats gonna be fun, its about the first thing to go at the junkyard because people take them to lay on when working under a vehicle, out of all the WJs I checked I only found two, one was the wrong color and the other was the right color but had been beat all to hell, looks like someone dropped a tranny on it and then spilled fluid all over it, I wasn't sure it was even worth messing with.

I also managed to start messing around with buffing down the headlights, its gonna take a lot of sanding to get through the pitting, but I ought to be able to get them down to looking pretty good, not as good as new mind you, but at ~$130 for a pair of new headlights this will be cheaper and still look pretty good. The chrome grill is pretty beat so I'm gonna replace it with a new one.

Otherwise there are lots of fine scratches all over it, I'm gonna go around and buff them down with a glaze, ought to sharpen it up quite a bit.

Haven't messed around with seeing if I can improve the dents, overall they really aren't that bad, the hood is the worst of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wow that thing does look good it even has front tow hooks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 pm 
LOST Addict

yup, front tow hooks, adjustable pedal height, rain sense wipers, infinity sound, tow package, heated leather, viper alarm, decent tires, new battery, recent oil change, recent tranny fluid, new windshield(big deal in colorado) someone put rainex on the windows recently, seems like it was decently well cared for.

Hopefully with a little bit more cleanup and maybe some improvement in the hail dents it will look wicked again and I'll be able to cash out quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

what do you use to clean the headlights like that? because my fogs on the liberty need a cleaning badly.

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
what do you use to clean the headlights like that? because my fogs on the liberty need a cleaning badly.

Sanded them down with 500 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 then buffed with plastic polish(but really any paint rubbing compound will work too)

These were pretty bad, I might see if I can find some 300 grit to start with to cut down through the pitting quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Sir Sam wrote:
STINGN wrote:

Sanded them down with 500 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 then buffed with plastic polish(but really any paint rubbing compound will work too)

These were pretty bad, I might see if I can find some 300 grit to start with to cut down through the pitting quicker.

ok, now the real question is...once you do all of that sanding...and after you wax/polish them...do you ever have to go back and polish them up periodically to make them look new still, since you are sanding them and not really adding a new coat to them other than a wax. So if that wax wears off, will it give that appearance that it was sanded again? I want to restore them but at the same time i just want to know the maintenance after i do this if there is any lol.

did u understand what i meant, it was kinda butchered up lol

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
STINGN wrote:

ok, now the real question is...once you do all of that sanding...and after you wax/polish them...do you ever have to go back and polish them up periodically to make them look new still, since you are sanding them and not really adding a new coat to them other than a wax. So if that wax wears off, will it give that appearance that it was sanded again? I want to restore them but at the same time i just want to know the maintenance after i do this if there is any lol.

did u understand what i meant, it was kinda butchered up lol

The sanding and buffing will not contribute to any degradation other than normal aging. So on these pitted and hazed ones once I sand the surface and buff it the surface finish is like new. This means that it will age like a new part.

The other alternative, which tends not to last as long but is a bit quicker, is to sand them down, then shoot them in clear coat. The clear fills in the scratches and makes the headlights look new again, the downside is the clear degrades quicker than the plastic surface will.

There is no wax left behind by the buffing compound, all the compound does is remove scratches. When your done buffing you're back to a natural plastic surface, so unless you add wax on top it will be like OEM again.

So no maintenance other than what normal aging and degradation occur.

You can also buff other plastics to make them look better(the third brake light is a great example of this), as well as the tail lights. It can really make a vehicle POP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

what kind of polish do i use? plastiX?