It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Cell Phone ???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I have ATT as carrier so kind of limited, but I'm up for a phone upgrade, currently just have messaging phone for calls/texting. Anyone, I'm going to a smart phone, narrowed it down to two choices.....Free Iphone 3G S using the iOS system or the Samsung Captiva using Android 2.2 system. Both are free right now so that why I chose those two. If I were to go with Iphone, I possibly would upgrade to the 4, but I'm cheap :mrgreen: I've been told the andrid system can lock up with the apps as Iphone usually does not, but more apps available and you can replace battery in the Samsung, not Iphone. I will prob keep phone for at least 2 years so want to make sure I get something that will last.

What is your alls' opinions? app usage, battery life, internet, etc? Any issues you can think of will help.

Thanks

ImageImage

Post subject: Which Cell Phone ???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iPhone all the way

Sent from iPhone

Post subject: Re: Which Cell Phone ???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:35 am 
LOST Junkie

does the iphone user agreement still include knowing where you are all time. serious question. that would kind of bother me. I am on the droid network and love it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 am 
LOST Member

Hi John, I know that this is from a different provider, but, the best cell phone deal that I know of is unlimited voice, unlimited text and unlimited web for $45. This is available at Wal-Mart thru Sprint (and NO contract either) with them selling a smart phone (Android) for $159. This is on a pay as you go plan with them. It is certainly less than I am paying for 1000 minutes peak and 500 texts per month thru Cincinnati Bell Wireless. I don't know if that helps any or if it just muddies the water. Good Luck! Jim

L.O.S.T. OHIO!

Old enough to know better,
Young enough to try!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 am 
LOST Addict

Towstrap wrote:
Hi John, I know that this is from a different provider, but, the best cell phone deal that I know of is unlimited voice, unlimited text and unlimited web for $45. This is available at Wal-Mart thru Sprint (and NO contract either) with them selling a smart phone (Android) for $159. This is on a pay as you go plan with them. It is certainly less than I am paying for 1000 minutes peak and 500 texts per month thru Cincinnati Bell Wireless. I don't know if that helps any or if it just muddies the water. Good Luck! Jim

Jim, who is this jim guy? :ROTFL: :mrgreen:

I'm with AT&T, my wife has the account and locked in so I'm just going to upgrade, not the best rates out there, but we've have good luck with both customer and coverage service. I will not go back to Cincy Bell, their coverage was horrible.
I'm really favoring the Samsung Impulse or Captivate over the Iphone.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just had to change my plan and get a new phone. I posted a similar question on JKJ. I have Verison they have the best coverage in Northern Michigan,so I did not change that. I got the new Iphone 4s. I got a great price because of discount offers. It was cheaper then my reg. phone from 2 years ago.My end price was $119, then I will get a gift card for $50, so its like getting it for $69. I paid $89 for my Motorola, 2years ago, that was just a rugged phone with a camera.
I do not know how to use it yet but. What I have learned I like

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I always loved the iPhone.. until Android came out.

Android is the iPhone, but much better.
You can customize many more things on the phone straight out of the box, and you don't have to be an IT guy to do it.

There might be more support for iPhone apps, but almost every app is available for Android. (And a majority of them are free.)

Also, this doesn't apply to about 95% of the common population, but the ENTIRE android system software is Open Source, which means anybody can use it and tweak it anyway they want, usually to create new apps.

I LOVE Apple products. Mostly their computers. (I work in the photography and film editing industry)
With that being said, //Start Rant - I hate their view on releasing products. They have such a following, and they know it, that they continuously release products when they're not fully tested, and released with issues.
They sell them because they know people will buy this one, then when they "fix" it with a new product a couple months later, they go out and buy that one as well.
//end rant

Also, a little side bar rant, lol. Apple tried to sue Samsung and Android for copyright and patent infringements. They LOST.
They tried to take out the little guys.

But, I still like the iPhone.

Android it the way to go.
If those two phones are your choices, get the Captivate. Better phone, faster processor, and I think it has a better camera with a flash.

The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, is the replacement for the Captivate, I'm not sure if it's out yet, or how much it is, but at the moment it is one of the better phones.

One thing that definitely must be mentioned, is battery life. It is not fantastic on Android phones.
As long as you have a charger for your car, you'll be fine. You just have to pay attention to the level.

Enjoy! (and good luck, lol.)

8)

Edit: Also, I just remembered, This SIRI chick.. My T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide has something called the "Genius Button", which has been out since July, it is more or less the same thing..

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

go with the samsung u can insure it replace battery change it uses the same charger as any phone on the market exept for the iphone if u ever need to replace that you can the i phone charger is 30 my GF has the I phone 4 i have the evo 3d and i definity think the evo is better also if the iphone ever gets wet you have to buy retail for a new phone when the samsung can be issured

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks all for replies, expecially infernicus, I usually get one sided baised opinions from either iphone users or Andriod type, but you gave an honest overall good advice.
I watched some reviews on you tube last night, now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Infuse, it's 4G and has a little more zip than the Captivate and has a flash, Captivate does not for some reason. I like the talk to text feature and yes, it's much more customizable over the iphone.
They do have the Skyrocket, but mucho dinero for that one right now, I'm notpaying much for a phone.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

also my gf is on her 3rd iphone 4 one was stollen the other one shorted out my evo is still going strong

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:39 am 
LOST Addict

UPDATE bought a Motorola Atrix 2. Seemed to fit what I need and a super upgrade from the old slide LG I have had for last 3 years.
It seems Iphone is benchmark nowadays this phone hung right with the 4S or did a little better in several reviews I watched.
Now to just play and figure out how to work everything and learning about apps. These are new to me deciding what to get/what not to.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android. Love my Android phones. So easy to use, and so many options to customize exactly for you.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...