It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trading in the KK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

I know there is going to be a strong bias towards keeping the KK from all of you, but Ive been considering trading in the KK for a few months. After lots of consideration, taking into account cost, practicality, insurance, happiness and much more, I have zoomed in on a used 2010+ GTI. The Libby was my first car and it treated me very well but I am more enticed by on-road capabilities, rather than the off road of the Jeep. Basically, what I want to know is if any of you have had a GTI or have any suggestions. I know all the numbers and I've read all off the online articles, but nothing is better than personal opinion. What do you guys think about the GTI and going from a Jeep to a complete opposite? I know this isnt a VW forum, but I thought Id ask you all anyways. :D

-Mopar tow hooks
-Grabber AT2s
-Silverstars
-Resonator Removed

Post subject: Re: Trading in the KK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 am 
LOST Newbie

I am totally bias against VW. My first car was a 2000 VW Jetta... Biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Anything that needed to be done on that thing was like going around my elbow to get to my butt. Not worth it.

But its all about what you're looking for. If I had some extra cash for a gas saver I'd get a Honda Fit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

First, I love the GTI.
Second, I love my truck more, lol.
All jokes aside, I say if you want a sportier car and better gas mileage, its a good deal. They drive amazing on the roads, like a go cart.
The interior seems to be made with quality materials.
What I would do, is fulfill your dream with a VeeDub, but wait until after the winter. Do you remember last winter? Being in Jersey,I know you had a lot of snow. I love not having to touch a shovel when I need to go somewhere. Last year the blizzard on December 26, when everyone was crying, I drove to Boston to drop off a friend when they shut the airports and busses and everything else under the sun.
Keep the truck until say February /March, you can also get good deals on them around that time as well.
My friend has an '01 Jetta, no major issues with it, like 180k miles on it. (Like was mentioned, working on it can be annoying since they have to cram a lot into a small space, just ask the CRD guys, lol.)

Either way, do what you feel like.

P.S. - the Honda Fit is an awesome little car. Deceivingly roomy, awesome has mileage, and cheap!

8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 am 
LOST Member

infernicus wrote:
First, I love the GTI.
Second, I love my truck more, lol.
All jokes aside, I say if you want a sportier car and better gas mileage, its a good deal. They drive amazing on the roads, like a go cart.
The interior seems to be made with quality materials.
What I would do, is fulfill your dream with a VeeDub, but wait until after the winter. Do you remember last winter? Being in Jersey,I know you had a lot of snow. I love not having to touch a shovel when I need to go somewhere. Last year the blizzard on December 26, when everyone was crying, I drove to Boston to drop off a friend when they shut the airports and busses and everything else under the sun.
Keep the truck until say February /March, you can also get good deals on them around that time as well.
My friend has an '01 Jetta, no major issues with it, like 180k miles on it. (Like was mentioned, working on it can be annoying since they have to cram a lot into a small space, just ask the CRD guys, lol.)

Either way, do what you feel like.

P.S. - the Honda Fit is an awesome little car. Deceivingly roomy, awesome has mileage, and cheap!

8)

I loved having my Libby last winter and Im definitely waiting until after winter to do anything. Honestly, the only reason Im even able to consider getting a non-suv/awd car is because Ill be going to college next fall and I wont need a car next winter. I also need to save up some cash because the Libby is only worth 18k as trade in :furious: and I don't really feel comfortable trying to sell it privately. I wouldn't have a clue as to what I was doing.

-Mopar tow hooks
-Grabber AT2s
-Silverstars
-Resonator Removed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also, before you trade it in, take off your skids and hooks, you can sell those separately and make some more cash.
Plus, most dealers wont even know they're not there.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

infernicus wrote:
Also, before you trade it in, take off your skids and hooks, you can sell those separately and make some more cash.
Plus, most dealers wont even know they're not there.

Oh l like that idea! Very sneaky haha :-)r

-Mopar tow hooks
-Grabber AT2s
-Silverstars
-Resonator Removed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

VW's are great cars, you'll still go in the snow with FWD especially if you put on snow tires in the winter. The hatchback will allow you to keep some decent cargo space.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thoughts for you.
Pros: 1 good gas milage
2 fun to drive
3 easier to mod than the liberty, loads of after market.

Cons: 1 good on gas... unless you drive it hard
2 expensive as hell to repair
3 requires Premium, 14.5 gallons to be exact. a full tank of premium would cost about $47.00 with the cheapest premium in Fort Lee NJ. a full tank in the jeep would cost about $55.00 in Galloway NJ
4 expensive to insure
5 wayyyy lease room then the jeep
6 easy to mod... holy moses those mods are expensive and don't say you won't mod it cuz you will.

Now, I don't / didn't own a gti but my little brother does and he's fixing something on it all the time.
When I got my jeep I traded in a ford focus zx3 that I went fast/furious on and added a supercharger, header/exhaust, quaife lsd, all the go fast goodies I could afford and it was a hoot to drive but it was crappy on gas cuz I drove it hard all the time. I think I get better gas milage with my kj than I did with my focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Thoughts for you:

1 - You're buried in your loan
2 - see #1

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.