It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green front diff fluid?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

I decided to change my front and rear differential fluids since my new(er) KJ has 87k on the clock. Went to my local Amsoil dealer and bought 75w-90 for the front and 75w-140 for the rear. Came home did the rear fluid change first with nothing unusual. However, when draining the front, the fluid was a greenish color. :shock: Has anybody else run into this? What is this?

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

Post subject: Re: Green front diff fluid?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Green Like dark green or light green? Also when was the last time you changed your fluid? And did the fluid have any odd feel or smell?

Because to me it sounds like you have had some fluid somewhere and to be green I don't know of anything in the KJ that is green.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

I would say a darker green, like darker than green antifreeze. No abnormal smell that I could appreciate and felt like normal lube. I don't think it's ever been changed. I just bought this CRD 2 months +/-ago. Previous owner was meticulous about keeping a maintenance log, so I don't think he would've omitted a fluid change of any kind.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

Bump! :SOMBRERO:

Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

not knowing for sure but if you mix water and oil you get strange colors...... doesn't lubricate too well either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sounds like standard dino gear oil with some containment, old gear grease often comes out lookin sort of snotty brown between collecting some moisture, breakdown, and catching dirt, run it for a bit after changing it and change it again to help flush out any residual

the only thing that catches my attention with what you've said, is that there was no odd smell.. gear oil, particularly used gear oil, friggin reeks

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
sounds like standard dino gear oil with some containment, old gear grease often comes out lookin sort of snotty brown between collecting some moisture, breakdown, and catching dirt, run it for a bit after changing it and change it again to help flush out any residual

the only thing that catches my attention with what you've said, is that there was no odd smell.. gear oil, particularly used gear oil, friggin reeks

I guess instead of no odd smell I should've said that it wasn't an unusual smell. This stuff looks like the color of anti freeze. :?:

Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 pm 
LOST Addict

If there was no major amount of metal in it I would put it back together run a new breather tube and call it a day.