It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro-Diesel Petition
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone,

--DISCLAIMER: This thread/petition are not about the current administration or its policies. I also fully understand petitions, in general and especially this one, will quite possibly accomplish nothing; the main purpose of the petition is to bring the issue of diesel emissions to the public's attention.--

The point of the petition is the hope of making US EPA and CARB standards equal to EURO-IV standards. This would make many more diesels available to the public. I know that Jeep is thinking about bringing diesel Grand Cherokees and Wranglers over in 2013, but switching to the EURO-IV standards will make tons of diesels available, and with lower costs.
Link to the Petition

Here is the petition description from the website:
"Bringing EPA and CARB standards for light-medium duty diesel engines in-line with the EURO-IV standards will allow a large amount of small capacity diesel engines (and vehicles) currently sold outside the United States to be legally sold to Americans.

Modern diesel engines are extremely popular outside the US and much more environmentally friendly than the loud and thirsty diesels that Americans are used to. Modern diesels are quiet, economical and popular.

Some UK vehicles for example (average MPG, not highway; UK MPG converted to US): A Ford Fiesta 5dr 1.6L Diesel can average 50 US MPG. A Jeep Wrangler 4dr 2.8L Diesel can average 23 US MPG. A Chevy Cruze 5dr 2.0L Diesel can average 30 US MPG. Even a 5000+lb Range Rover 4.4L Diesel can average 25 US MPG.

Think $/mile, not $/gal."

Thank you for your time, and thank you especially to anyone who signs the petition. Feel free to share this petition through email, other forums, facebook or by any means you wish.
Please hurry to a degree as all signatures must be received by June 1st, 2012 for the petition to be considered.

Thanks again,
Jacob

Post subject: Re: Pro-Diesel Petition
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1st thing though they need to clean up the fuel here in the US/North America since that is the main difference anyways.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
1st thing though they need to clean up the fuel here in the US/North America since that is the main difference anyways.

I Agree: The fuel in Europe is typically 55 cetaine and here in the US/Canada we are lucky to get 45 cetaine. To compensate for the crappy cetaine, injection timing needs to be advanced and that in theory, creates more NOX which in the fantasies of CARB and the EPA should only controlled by EGR or DEF with a strong bias toward EGR.
Even though both Bosch and Mazda came up with ways to greatly reduce the NOX, the EPA would not approve of their methods and required the use of EGR.
In my humble opinion, both CARB and the EPA should be shut down and replaced by an organization of Environmental Engineers patterned after ASME, ASAE, and SAE. Since I work with environmental equipment, I do know for a fact that all 50 States, all US possessions, and Canada (and soon even Mexico) have State or Provincial organizations that do an outstanding job and the EPA is a redundant waste of our money. Most of the Lawyers who compose CARB and EPA regulations work there because they could not pass the Bar Exam and work for a reputable Law Firm or Corporate Employer.
Having CARB and the EPA in charge is like having a Botanist doing Brain Surgery.

This thread should be moved to the, CRD section since most Diesel owners and want to be Diesel owners read that thread and rarely venture to other threads.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hmm, I didn't know about the cetaine rating stuff. Doesn't really surprise me though, I just don't know why the US and Europe don't work together to make their auto markets more alike. It would save automakers money (more 'global' platforms), which they could then pass on to consumers, and everyone would win.

I thought about posting it in the CRD area, but I felt it was more 'off-topic', I wouldn't mind if the thread was moved though. Or if no one minds me making a thread in the CRD area that links to this thread that's a possibility too. Whatever the admins think is best.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Cetane is because the big rigs wanted cheaper diesel - if you mandate the higher cetane - it'll cost more
(I think it'd be cost effective - better mileage - but I'm not a politician.......)