It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for cigar advice
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I’ve been thinking about exploring the world of cigars. I don’t know anything about cigars. As a matter of fact, and to prove my ignorance, I just learned that you have to “cut” before you light them. :oops: To entertain the thought, I have subscribed to two different FREE Cigar catalogs, one called Cigars International and another called Thompson Cigar. Cigar collecting almost looks to be as much fun as actually smoking them. :mrgreen: Anyway, I thought I would seek some advice from those of you who do smoke cigars. I’m looking for any information. The good, the bad, and maybe the best way to get started.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject: Re: Looking for cigar advice
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:06 am 
LOST Member

I have found the best way to find a good cigar was to ask the guys at a professional smoke shop. If its a mini mart with a small crappy humidor in the back, hes usually going to recommend the stuff that's been sitting and is getting passed its shelf life. I have found Macanudo's are a pretty good smoke, that are easy to get into. A few other brands I usually sample from are Rocky Patel, Davidoff, Ashton and Partagas. Check out http://www.cigaraficionado.com/home/channel/name/ratings , They also have a top 25 they put out every year but those are usually pretty pricey choices. Overall, I would say, find yourself a good smoke shop and go shoot the brown stinkies with the guy there. Once you find your flavor range that you like, then they will be able to really steer you towards things you will enjoy. If your still all in, then you can set up a humidor and stock it. At that point, online discount orders will save you lots.

OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front
OME 948 and OME N132L in rear
245/75/16 Treadwright Warden A/T on Richard Cepek DC-2
Euro torque converter
Renegade roof lights
Pioneer Z110bt double din navi w/ reverse cam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spitfire36o wrote:
I have found Macanudo's are a pretty good smoke, that are easy to get into. A few other brands I usually sample from are Rocky Patel, Davidoff, Ashton and Partagas.

I found all the ones that you listed in the catalogs (except for Ashton, but I very well could have looked over it). It doesn't look like you smoke the cheap ones. I had a swisher sweet cigar when I was in college. It was pretty uneventful and had a poor taste to say the least, so that nearly ended any desire to smoke another cigar. But I had a friend tell me that you can’t smoke a cheap cigar and quantify the overall cigar experience. So I’m willing to give it another shot, and this time with higher quality cigars.

spitfire36o wrote:
Once you find your flavor range that you like, then they will be able to really steer you towards things you will enjoy. If your still all in, then you can set up a humidor and stock it. At that point, online discount orders will save you lots.

Thanks for the advice. I live pretty far from a smoke shop (2 hours), so I think I might try some of the nicer sampler packs from Thompson and Cigars International including the Rocky Patel sampler.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:48 pm 
LOST Member

Even better the Thomson, Try famous smoke shop. They have great prices and sampler packson the high end smokes.