It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I move from the PC world to the Apple world?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Should I move from the PC world to the Apple world?

Between my wife and I, we have two PC laptops and three PC desktops. To date, we haven’t had any major problems with any of our computers. As our technology needs to be replaced and/or updated, I am considering making the switch to Apple. The iPod Classic is the only Apple product that we own. We had our iPod long before we bought the Bose shelf audio system, but we discovered that the Bose systems only accepts Apple devices. Besides computers, I would be looking at other Apple devices such as the iPhone, etc. If current technological trends continue, it would appear that moving my technology to Apple might be a better idea. Any one disagree?

I use to think that Apple was a fad, but now I see that their technologies are dominating in certain post-secondary educational programs. Apple software is required as part of the curriculum in many university classrooms, programs, etc.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject: Re: Should I move from the PC world to the Apple world?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:32 pm 
LOST Member

Apple is the same as it has been for a few years now, reliable, easy to use (very ergonomic ), high(er) price point, proprietary hardware and software, generally more secure for the technologically challenged.

I wouldn't say Apple is cornering the market software or hardware wise, many businesses cannot afford the high cost of implementing Apple products.

they certainly have a great share of the consumer market.

in my educational experience ( limited, but ongoing for the past 12+ years ) i haven't run across any requirement for purchasing or working on any apple specific software or hardware unless it was part of a course with apple in the name.

I have been involved with many courses regarding open source software and also more course work in the UNIX/Linux field.

and of course, MS is still part of many educational requirements.

as with anything else, look at your requirements first, then see what fits you best. too many people try to work the hardware/software into their requirements.

Skink super sliders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no dont go to the apple brain washed world stay with pc

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

I started with Apple and never left. Never had issues for over 20 years now. I've always replaced because of age and not failure. I've have all the gadgets, desktops, laptops, iPods, iPhones, iPads and Apple TV. Waiting on the iTV now.
Only real issue I have had is some software just won't work on Apple but you can run Windows on them if needed. Never gone tht route because I can alway find someone to borrow a PC once a year.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

I boycott apple products, I had to use an apple for a school project a few years ago, and it constantly gave me problems. I'm not saying all macs are bad, but its fun to hate something. :twisted:

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The reason to use Apple is if a PC is too technically challenging to deal with

if you've dealt with a PC and want something more - look to Unix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

I switched from pc to mac and it only took a few days of minor adjustments to get used to it. I had never used a mac before, but now it works flawlessly for me. I would also ask what you intend to use it for as there are some more creative and artistic features to be had when using a mac. I know here at my college if you are in any computer design or arts class that involves editing a mac is highly recommended. I had to use a school pc the other day and it felt so clunky compared to my MBP. All in all I would say it is simpler to use and has fewer issues with software...(word of advice try to stay away from the new OSX for maybe another month until every kink is worked out).

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So far, our PC’s have worked fairly well. But I also think it’s fair to say that the Apple machines are better built systems with fewer problems. Here are the machines we are currently using in some capacity:

PC Desktop (bought in 2003) - wife’s
PC Laptop (bought in 2007) - mine
PC Desktop (bought in 2008) - wife’s
PC Desktop (bought in 2008) - mine
PC Laptop (bought in 2010) - wife’s

My 2007 Toshiba laptop has been an amazing machine. I’ve put this thing through a lot of use including graduate school, work, traveling, etc. The Toshiba is starting to get tired, so I need to start thinking about a new laptop. I was also thinking this would be a good time to make the switch to Apple. I guess I haven’t had the real need to switch to Apple besides the fact that I’m now attending meetings with my colleagues in which I’m sometimes the only one in the room with a PC. I’ve been thinking about starting a doctoral program, and if I do, I will need a few good machines for traveling, school, work, research, data collection, organizing, graphing, charting, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bbo wrote:
Apple is the same as it has been for a few years now, reliable, easy to use (very ergonomic ), high(er) price point, proprietary hardware and software, generally more secure for the technologically challenged.

I wouldn't say Apple is cornering the market software or hardware wise, many businesses cannot afford the high cost of implementing Apple products.

they certainly have a great share of the consumer market.

I agree with all the above

bbo wrote:
in my educational experience ( limited, but ongoing for the past 12+ years ) i haven't run across any requirement for purchasing or working on any apple specific software or hardware unless it was part of a course with apple in the name.

I have been involved with many courses regarding open source software and also more course work in the UNIX/Linux field.

and of course, MS is still part of many educational requirements.

I have students going into college programs that are required to have certain Apple machines and software before they are fully admitted into the program, these include, but not limited to; Medical, Engineering, etc.

bbo wrote:
as with anything else, look at your requirements first, then see what fits you best. too many people try to work the hardware/software into their requirements.

I think you made a valid point here. In my field of work, there is not a real need to move into the Apple world. PC's have met my needs and I believe will continue to meet my needs at a much smaller price.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i am a fan of both camps i use my PC for more day to day stuff but i use macs for more creative stuff like editing music, video, also use macs for file sharing P2P stuff since i dont have to deal with malware and virus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We had to get Taylor a Mac For his College Classes. He has had it two years now with only one problem. One of the key board letter covers came off but it was a simple fix.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I haven’t heard too many people say they like Windows 8. :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can tell ya from a laymans point of view, I have always used pc and windows which over the years have grown to hate but am comfortable with. Sick and tired of crashes, bugs and junk. My girls recently got the MacBook Air laptops, they already know them well and have no issues with them. Being stuck in my old ways I was very hesitant to use them, however after playing with them when I can pry one from either one of my daughter hands, they are VERY easy to use, very fast and do way more than I can imagine or will probably every do with them. My one year old pc got pitched and it was the best of the best HP product with all the gizmos and gadgets when it crashed, it got rebuilt with the best of the best wiz bang wizardry and less than a year later went junk. I have found the best thing a pc can do for you is offer some wonderfull target practice at the range.............

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:57 pm 
LOST Member

I would stay with just buying a new PC. You don't Need to buy everything new at once unless you have a problem with it. I respect mac's for their uniqueness and the fact that they're based on Unix/Linux which has a much better code base than bloated windows.

As with everything it really depends on what you plan do really do with it and how often. If you actually WORK on a computer a mac is irritating to use and a real pain business wise. (unless you are a graphic designer in some cases) Macs can and do fail just about as often as any other PC. What you don't get is a lot of software problems but that also stems from the fact that what you buy is mostly what you're stuck with besides a few applications you might acquire. The reason you hear about so much PC failure and such is that PC's are almost the entire market with far more actual machines in the hands of users.

I am an Information Technology & Service technician for a medical company (i program and configure networking equipment and also do alot of end user support) I have worked for years with PC's as well as Linux and several Flavors of Mac operating systems.

Personally i kind of want a Mac to mess around with but I would choose a PC every time to buy and use. I simply refuse to pay upwards of $1200 to $1600 or $2000 for a computer with the same hardware that I can get in a PC for $500 to $900 depending on what you want to get. My 1200 Laptop would run circles around the $1500 macbook.

The other problem is that once the warranty expires if or when you do have a problem you pretty much have to go buy a new one. It is so costly to have Apple fix one of their computers you could go buy a New PC for the price of the repair. Failed things inside of a PC (namely Hard drives) are the most common device to fail it is the same in the Apple as well. A replacement for PC will pretty much cost you the price of the hard drive. maybe 50 to 100 $ usually whereas to obtain one from apple to use in their computer will cost you easily 4 times as much. just as an example.

Im not a Mac hater at all they are good computers but it depends on the application and personally I refuse to pay the premium price for their equipment that is the same thing as what I can get in a PC for half of the cost or less.

just my 2¢ I just hope whatever you get performs up to your expectations.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After doing some research and talking to both Apple and Microsoft gurus, I decided to stick with a PC. I actually bought this at the Microsoft store. So far, I’m very happy with the purchase. And yes, it is a touch screen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks nice, touch screen is a plus! I still like my MacBook Pro though..

1977- Jeep CJ-5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

phat95yj wrote:
Looks nice, touch screen is a plus!

Yeah, so far I'm super happy with my new laptop. The touch screen is extremely helpful and makes things much faster. I'm now looking forward to getting a Microsoft phone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

I have had sever acers over the years. Pretty good machines :) some will hate but thats okay.

touchscreen on the laptop would be nice I dont personally own any of those but id like one.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm 
LOST Addict

That is a nice Windows Laptop.... Nice choice and getting one with a touch screen was a good idea..
I beta tested windows 8 on my media center PC I never was a huge fan of the Metro UI. it worked sort of ok if I limited the tiles to what I only used from the couch with my IR trackball/mini keyboard, like windows media center, Hulu, and Firefox. for a desktop the metro UI makes little sense with out a touch screen on a desktop or laptop. once I tried it out on an Asus Laptop at Best Buy that had touch then the interface made sense. otherwise its clumsy and not intuitive to navigate with a mouse or other pointing device.

About the Mac vs. PC. Mac is way better for inexperienced user that can afford them. Apple now uses Intel processors and chip sets so the hardware is not much different it is how its packaged up. They run better for some because there are fewer virus that affect them than windows and the hardware and software are designed by the same company so they control the hardware the devices built in and the device drivers that go in to the Mac os more than windows. downside is you pay a lot more for the same performance in a Mac.

Mac's are also repairable some one said the hard drive for a Mac was 4x more than PC.. not in my experience. I replaced a hard drive that failed in a 21" LCD iMac and it used a standard SATA 3.5 inch drive same as a PC. I purchased it from new egg at the time for about $90 (western digital 1TB) it was however more labor intensive to get the drive replaced than a PC. you had to take the front cover off, and remove the memory and LCD panel to access the drive for replacement. Installing OS X from DVD was not different than windows 7, same pretty easy actually and all drivers were loaded from the OS disc. still I would rather do the wrenching part on a pc it's much easier to replace parts in those than a mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The more I use my windows 8 touch screen, the more I like it. As a matter of fact, my wife has used it enough to decide that she would like to get a touch screen for her next laptop. We both had ipads given to us by our employer for work. But now that I have my touch screen laptop, I haven't found the need for the iPad, so I don't use it.