It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHARE THE ROAD!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:20 pm 
I live here
I live here

I know who one of the cyclists is in this video. He is a Pro Cyclist and author in the cycling world. This drive should have been cited for Road Rage. A 75 yr old man. He got cited today but will probably get off with not paying it and do it again and again.

Share the road people! Slow your arse down and enjoy life. Don't be a Richard.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1847761860001

http://www.9news.com/news/article/290064/339/Driver-suspected-of-harassing-cyclists-cited

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject: Re: SHARE THE ROAD!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gotta say though the cyclist need to obey the traffic laws also,which none hear do so I really have no remorse for what happens.

Post subject: SHARE THE ROAD!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Public roads have rules for safety for all users to follow, and I admit I break some of them. My point is we must share the roads. I have stated before that I have been hit walking(beside the road and past the ditch,more of run down). On my cycle and on a large farm tractor. And to many near misses to keep track of, ran of the road, about 10 times. On ,horse, cycle and bike. Are there bad drivers, yes. Are there people with me first mentality, yes.
Do some people break rules ,laws. Yes. But two wrongs do not make a right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
Public roads have rules for safety for all users to follow, and I admit I break some of them. My point is we must share the roads. I have stated before that I have been hit walking(beside the road and past the ditch,more of run down). On my cycle and on a large farm tractor. And to many near misses to keep track of, ran of the road, about 10 times. On ,horse, cycle and bike. Are there bad drivers, yes. Are there people with me first mentality, yes.
Do some people break rules ,laws. Yes. But two wrongs do not make a right.

While that is all true if I'm making a legal right turn and that cyclist fails to stop at the stop light/stop sign and I hit him it's his fault not mine.Just last week I almost ran one over,he was in the bike lane and I was in the right lane which is right next to the bike lane.The sprinklers were on and the cyclist didn't want to get wet so pulled right out in front of me,no warning,and I was doing the speed limit which was 40mph and he was barely doing 10mph(going up hill) and I had no where to go since there was another car beside me in the left lane and no hope of stopping since he was only about 20' in front of me.I just laid on the horn,he turned his head around and steered hard right into a tree.I laughed,sorry but it was funny.

Happens at least once a week to me here,they just don't pay attention or obey the traffic laws.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 pm 
LOST Member

The cyclist around here obey no laws either. They think they are cars until a red light or stop sign comes up. At that point they transform into pedestrians and just proceed through the light or stop sign. Many times they fly up the middle of the traffic lanes to bypass sitting in traffic. Really drives me nuts. I blame Lance Armstrong for this.

I do have sympathy for those cyclist that do obey the laws but there are very few of them around here. And unfortunately for them they get the short end of the stick because the rest don't following rules. When I ride my MB or walk/run I obey the unwritten rule of bigger object gets the right of way no matter what.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Darwin will always assist those that can't follow the laws on the road :dead: . The law will usually support those that do follow the laws unless of course ya can afford an expensive ambulance chaser. I know in MI and OH bicycles have the same rights as a vehicle other than the obvious speed limit but as already stated if a brain cell is left in your cranium the larger vehicle will always have a right of way. When was the last time ya have seen a cyclist use hand signals, rarely if never and should be ticketed as such but that rarely happens. Lane splitting in some states is legal, does that mean ya should do it? Nope, way too many me first idiots behind the wheel in this microwave society. I have no sympathy for stupid nor does Darwin. I ALWAYS when riding my bike or bicycle apply that a cager is always lookin to run ya over and could care less if they do.
Ride to live, live to ride. It's an easy "law".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 pm 
I live here
I live here

There is a difference between cyclists and bicyclists (or Bike Riders). Majority of people riding a bike, should not be allowed on the road. Police should ticket them as often as they can. I would be all for a license, which requires a riding skills and reaction test, written test, and visual test. No plates or annual tags though.

At the same time, stiffen Driver's License skills, written, and vision testing. A vision test every year for anyone over 50. Also increase the fines/penalties for drivers that road rage, harass/create a dangerous situation, or injure cyclists/pedestrians.

With more hybrid/electric cars on the road, they are more silent and pedestrians/bike riders won't hear them coming up behind them. They need to be made aware of always checking behind you before swinging/swerving/stepping out into a road/lane.

I am all for Darwinism and really have no sympathy for idiots on bikes, on foot, in vehicles, etc....

It is getting worse with people wearing headphones/earbuds while riding and running. They lose touch with their surroundings and less aware. Again....Darwinism.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

this subject is more polarizing than gun ownership.
I'm a cyclist. I love to ride. I love to ride challenging roads. I love to ride with my kid on his 3rd wheel. I am fully supportive of people wanting to ride and do what i can to help ensure the safety of riders on difficult roads (narrow, no shoulder, poorly maintained, etc.) I am however just as cactus swinging pissed off at the poop chute brained ones out there who give the rest of us a bad name. Do I fully follow every traffic law out there 100% of the time? No, I do not. there are some that given the circumstances can be... stretched. I don't run full steam across intersections when I have a red light. I pay close attention to cars that might be interested in making a right turn in my vicinity. I signal my intentions and if needed take possession of the lane for as little time as I can to safely traverse a difficult section of road. I have been known to and will continue to roll SLOWLY through a T intersection even if it is red, but only across the top of the T and only such that I'm still out of the flow of traffic. Do not expect me to come to a complete stop at certain intersections that are at the tops of hills. I will continue to roll, albet SLOWLY since it is far more difficult to pick up from a stop and when you've had to unclip. I think alot of people have never ridden a bicycle in such circumstances and cannot comprehend why such choices are made and the justifications for them. Many people don't realize, the most DANGEROUS time for a cyclist is when having to start from a stop. you are not stable, you are not in full and accurate control of the bike, and you are surrounded by people who are accelerating and who are "target fixating" on you to some extent. I can avoid you only if I'm still moving. otherwise I'm a stationary target.

So while I fully accept there are a load of Jack Wagons out there on 2 wheels, please consider that not all of us fall into that category. If anyone is interested in learning more about this and would like to go for a ride to experience it I'd be happy to take you on a nice 20+ mile tour of the area. :D

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:14 am 
LOST Addict

What that driver in the video was doing is horrible, his message in doing that "get off the Effin road it's all mine" he deserves those fines and I hope he never harasses cyclists again but if he does I hope they give a more sever punishment.

I ride My bike on the streets too even thought it is a mountain bike I like to go short trips on it when its nice out. I don't do it as much as I used to because of drivers of cars. I do stop at red traffic lights I do use hand signals when I am around other vehicles but drivers are not paying attention that you are there or don't seem to have a clue what hand signals mean. I'm not saying all drivers are bad many are good around bikes. some cyclists are bad too not fallowing the rules of the road that apply either. there are enough bad on both sides to cause plenty of trouble. Another Issue is kids on bikes being out around traffic. Parents it is your job to teach your kid how to ride and I'm not just talking about just learning to stay up on two wheels, they must be taught the rules of the road we all should fallow. If you love your son or daughter teach them how ride safely on the roads even in neighborhoods.

I used to ride to the gym and back but I had a few close calls with drivers. One was a guy I would happen upon several times after the first incident. the guy was a Jeep owner too sad to say. I was riding on a heavily traveled divided road on the way to the gym, keeping as far right as I could. there was a place for traffic to take a right on to another road but I was going straight not turning and did not signal a turn. as I am half way across the road that was intersecting to the right the guy comes up behind me and tries to make his turn blasts his horn and comes to a stop feet from hitting me. he gets out and argument starts. he says I should have got out of his way which was wrong I was riding across the intersection that had no stop sign or light for anyone traveling in that direction and since I was riding and he came up behind me I had sort of a right of way, he should have slowed and made his turn when I was clear of his path not tried to right hook me like that. I was so angry if I had been carrying I may have shot him or shot out his tires on the spot. In the end we called each other very foul names and such but I was able to get it over before it came to blows by taking out my phone and saying I was going to report him to the police if he didn't just leave the area.

Now I mostly stay on the bike trails away from cars.

Last edited by mikey1273 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mikey1273 wrote:
I was so angry if I had been carrying I may have shot him or shot out his tires on the spot.

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:28 am 
LOST Addict

BugginKJ wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:
I was so angry if I had been carrying I may have shot him or shot out his tires on the spot.

:shock:

Yeah shocking cus if you really knew me I'm not so quick tempered. It usually takes a while for my temper to totally boil over but the idiot could have killed me with his vehicle.

Pennsylvania has also recently got this safe passage law in effect that requires drivers to keep a distance from cyclists and allow at least 4 feet when passing and overtaking a cyclist. They may also cross a double yellow line to do so if the on coming line is clear of traffic.