It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iPads
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:41 pm 
LOST Member

So, I'm looking at iPads, but have no idea which one would be the best fit. I see that they come in 16, 32, and 64GB flavors. I would hate to get one that doesn't meet my needs. Basically, it would be used for playing on the Internet, saving pictures and iTunes, and playing apps/facetime. Right now, I have a laptop that is used for the same things (minus the apps/facetime obviously) and 5+ years old. It runs on Windows Vista and has an AMD Turion 64 processor. I would hope the iPad would replace the laptop.

My impression of the iPad is just that it is a big iPhone. So, I don't see what the big deal is unless it would be a candidate to replace an actual computer.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Also, for those with iPad experience, would you recommend a mini over an iPad2 or vice versa?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: iPads
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 pm 
LOST Addict

IMO for the same money of an ipad you can buy a new laptop. The ipad really needs a computer to pair it with, to transfer stuff like movies, music, pictures etc. So having an ipad almost means you need to have a computer to use with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My wife has an ipad that her workplace bought for her to use. She would agree with the above statement. The ipad is not really a standalone unit. I guess it really depends on what you would be using it for. The larger ipad display is nicer than having to look at a phone, so I can see how it would be nice for traveling.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

I only use mine for reading and music when traveling. The gps feature works well even without network connectivity, I am seriously thinking about using it on the boat as a backup

My son's Ipad 2 is heavily used for school notes and ebooks.

I agree you need another device, there are some nice laptops cheaper than an ipad with almost as good screens, I'd get one of those first then look at the Ipad if you are still thinking of needing one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

All:

Thanks for your help. *I* don't need the iPad. It would be a gift for my blushing bride. Was hoping it could serve two roles since in my opinion, a laptop replacement would be more useful, but let's be honest, my opinion doesn't count. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Like I said, an iPad would be nice for traveling. For as much as my wife uses her work iPad, I can see us making a purchase in the near future. :wink:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I almost went for the 64 GB version, but it was a bit to much so i settled for the 32 gb version and i wish i had more space...I use my iPad stand alone all the time. I do own a mac book pro, but im not sure i can tell you the last time, if ever i plugged it in. Also the New ipad with the retina is a waste, most people cannot see the pixels in the first place so the premium is just a gag...but paired with this ipad keyboard case or something similar, i truely have no need for my laptop...but, alas,
Quote:
My impression of the iPad is just that it is a big iPhone
is so true, and if it wasnt for the app selection....i would be using this thing as a coaster...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:06 pm 
LOST Member

Ipad 2 is a much better buy than the 3. Having used both of them and talked to many people that have one or both ipad 2 is fine. I have a 64gig 4th gen ipod touch and i cant fill it up. i have had it since.. the very beginning of 2011 aac(format apple uses) format for the music compresses it down to tiny. hd video will use up your memory though.

You really cant replace a PC with an Ipad. You Need both a computer and the Ipad to really use it and transfer stuff. but for jsut surfing the web and such its fine.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos