It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any recommendations for an infrared thermometer?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I’ve always wanted a thermal gun, but haven’t had a reason to buy one other than the fact I like to know temps for everything (hot springs, radiator, engine, ambient temps, cooking temps, winter pipes, etc.) But now I found a purpose that could really be helpful. It bothers me that I really don’t know when I should repack or grease the hub bearings on my travel trailer. I’ve read that taking and monitoring hub temps can be very effective on knowing when it’s time to add grease or repack. I also have the E-Z lube hubs, but adding too much grease isn't good either.

I want a thermal gun that will measure solid and liquids with a temperature range down to -40 degrees and upward to 550 degrees. The price range is all over the board. It’s seems that the cheap $20 dollar thermo guns are almost as good as the $100 dollar guns. I want a pointing laser and be able to get accurate readings at least up to 10 feet. Does anyone have a brand or model that they recommend?

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject: Re: Any recommendations for an infrared thermometer?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:08 am 
LOST Addict

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight one about 2 years ago. The brand is Cen-Tech and it was around $39 I think. Seems to work ok. I am sure there are better (and more expensive) ones out there.

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fluke all the way. There are different models that increase in price but also accuracy. The $120 one is pretty good but the next one up is a lot better, also over $400, ouch. I've tested a few and found fluke to be the best I tested followed by Extech. Don't expect to measure liquid or ambient temperatures with any accuracy as you'll only get a surface measurement. I've seen air (ambient) measurements done with one of these and compared to a digital thermometer wasn't accurate at all. You're just measuring the temperature of the nearest surface, not the air.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here's the one that I got. I can't remember the brand, but it had high reviews and was checked for accuracy by several of the reviewers.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you can swing the $$$ these are way cool.I will be picking one up as it's a better diagnostic tool then just a regular temp gun.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?sku=70247582&mkwid=6kTPp5T7&pcrid=18584040739&gclid=CPewqqWinLkCFbAWMgodtjQARw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
If you can swing the $$$ these are way cool.I will be picking one up as it's a better diagnostic tool then just a regular temp gun.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?sku=70247582&mkwid=6kTPp5T7&pcrid=18584040739&gclid=CPewqqWinLkCFbAWMgodtjQARw

Dang daddy warbucks. Those are pricy but accurate.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ted15 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Dang daddy warbucks. Those are pricy but accurate.

That's the cheap model.The real good ones are 3-10 times more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The ones that they check heat loss from houses with? Yea, those prices are through the roof.