It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some Ford knowledge
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Member

Just picked up a 1996 Ford F350 4x4 automatic with 7.3 diesel. Only has 138K. Its a single cab long bed. I know the Jeep and Toyota world but have no clue on where to start with Fords. Would like to know a good vendor for parts. Need to replace lots of old worn out bushings and of course will be doing some upgrades. It looks like it spent it's life on a construction site. Luckily the pick n pulls around here are full of Fords from the 90's and back then the F150's shared the same body as the heavy duty trucks.

96 Ford F350 4x4

Post subject: Re: Need some Ford knowledge
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm 
LOST Addict

They have whole sale sites setup just like mopar for the fords. But it being what it is any auto parts store will have tons of options. But having the 7.3L like I have grown up around you will have very and I mean very few issues. We have one that has towed and hauled everyday of its life 308k in the hole and I think the worst thing that has happened is a cracked fuel filter bowl. But as far as bushings I would go with moog or mastercraft. ( fords Crown)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

audiboy86 wrote:
They have whole sale sites setup just like mopar for the fords. But it being what it is any auto parts store will have tons of options. But having the 7.3L like I have grown up around you will have very and I mean very few issues. We have one that has towed and hauled everyday of its life 308k in the hole and I think the worst thing that has happened is a cracked fuel filter bowl. But as far as bushings I would go with moog or mastercraft. ( fords Crown)

Thanks. So OEM and aftermarket really doesn't make a difference? I know I like to stay OEM with my Toyota but the Jeep I usually go aftermarket.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 am 
LOST Addict

They really aren't picky about bushings but I would still stay with quality parts of course. Raybesto, Moog, NAPA, MotorCraft (not master autocorrect fail there)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not a Ford guy in any way, shape or form, but the 7.3 is a very good motor, perhaps the most flawless diesel that has ever been put in a Ford. I would personally stick with MotorCraft parts.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I'm not a Ford guy in any way, shape or form, but the 7.3 is a very good motor, perhaps the most flawless diesel that has ever been put in a Ford. I would personally stick with MotorCraft parts.

Never been a fan either. I really wanted a 95-97 Dodge with the Cummins to match the one I'm putting in my Land Cruiser. It had become a three month search for one with low miles so I expanded to include the Ford with the 7.3. I do like the dual tanks on the Ford along with the locking hubs.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am 
LOST Addict

My father has a 97 F350 with the factory higher spring rate and D70 out back and has never had and issue with the 7.3L best diesel motor made in my book. Everyone speaks so highly of the cummins because of how easy they are to work on and build power on but once you learn some simple things the 7.3 is just as easy. Plus with its hydralic injection the only issue you will every have with the fuel system will be a PCT (i think that is correct) sensor and maybe and injector pump around 300k but that is hit or miss with these motors and they are easily and cheaply rebuilt. The 460LE automatic will never leave you stranded either exacly why alot of these guys swapping dodge motors into ford trucks leave it. I have a buddy with a 1400lb/ft torque cummins in front of one and with its cromolly shafts he has never had and issue with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
LOST Member

audiboy86 wrote:
My father has a 97 F350 with the factory higher spring rate and D70 out back and has never had and issue with the 7.3L best diesel motor made in my book. Everyone speaks so highly of the cummins because of how easy they are to work on and build power on but once you learn some simple things the 7.3 is just as easy. Plus with its hydralic injection the only issue you will every have with the fuel system will be a PCT (i think that is correct) sensor and maybe and injector pump around 300k but that is hit or miss with these motors and they are easily and cheaply rebuilt. The 460LE automatic will never leave you stranded either exacly why alot of these guys swapping dodge motors into ford trucks leave it. I have a buddy with a 1400lb/ft torque cummins in front of one and with its cromolly shafts he has never had and issue with it.

I have only heard good things about the 7.3. I figured when my Cummins swap into the Land Cruiser is done I will have a good comparison of both the 7.3 and the Cummins 6bt. So for I have only changed the oil and fuel filter but both were easy breezy. The fuel filter was the easiest thing I have every done. Took 1 minute and no diesel spilled or on hands.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The aftermarket parts and tuning that you can do to the Cummins is amazing. In my opinion, the inline 6 is the way to go. There's a reason why over the road trucks have inline 6's. When we bought our truck new in 2006, my wife said that I couldn't buy another Dodge Cummins for 10 years. Well, 2016 will be here soon! :mrgreen: The 2013 trucks are laying down 850 lb ft of torque at @ 1,600 rpm with the 6 speed Aisin AS69RC transmission. :rockon:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

The cummins is a great motor but dodge has and issue with them demoing their automatic transmissions. I will always be a fan of the 7.3L just because I know what it can do and I know when ford built it the built the tranny to handle it. Keep her serviced and love her and modify if you must my Excursion has a turbo upgrade on it and a tune to match it. Not one issues out of the combo and she isn't just a road cruiser she is my tow queen and I have had this 4 ton beast with 12k behind her a few times not one issue didn't even heat up on the 3% grades.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Dodge transmissions are fine for what they were designed for. And they can be modified to hold substantial power. There are guys on the Cummins forum with over 400,000 miles on stock transmissions. The new Aisin AS69RC transmission is said to be stronger than Ford's transmission and just as good as the Allison. In some cases, the Aisin AS69RC transmission could be stronger than the Allison. There are a lot of Ford and Chevy guys who are making the swap to Dodge for their reliability. Most people would agree that the 7.3L was the last Ford diesel for reliability.

It is widely accepted that the Cummins is the most reliable diesel on the road from it's beginning in 1988 through 2013. There are a few guys on the Cummins Forum who have hit over 1 million miles without an overhaul.