It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone else love their carrer but hate their employer?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:07 am 
LOST Member

Topic header says it all as to where I'm at right now.

I'm in construction, a carpenter by trade. I have been in this industry for 25 years mostly building commercial buildings. Bringing big or unique structures up out of the ground all the way to completion is, for me, rather rewarding. Usually I am in a leadership role by directing labor, ordering materials, coordinating with other trades, doing the layout, etc. and have been recognized as having done very well. Due to the economic collapse, naturally building slowed dramatically.

To compound that, ownership of this company is/ has been at odds with one another, leaving myself and others in the crossfire though no fault of our own. I had the impression this tenuous situation had been resolved or this would have been a deal breaker for my returning.

Moving from one contractor to another is the nature of this business, and I had to do so for 1 1/2 years. So, I get the call from one of the owners offering me the usual position on a sizable project to lure me away from a similar position elsewhere. I came back having very clear expectations of duties and advancing within the company.

You guessed it. In the last year and a half, none of what was advertised came to fruition. :evil: The owner that made me the offer hired (once again) his obese, mentally unstable, lying, and drug and alcohol addled brother to assume the role offered to get me back. :furious: The fact I was able to keep from committing felonious assault on brother should have been tax deductible as charity. Two projects later, the brother has been fired yet again, and I am still not in the position previously offered. Through a recent meeting with other ownership, I was questioned on poor production and quality control issues I had no control over. In short, no advancement for me in the immediate future. :banghead: Good friends that run large projects for the company are dumbfounded by all this.

My resume is up to date and I will be taking interviews when I find a good opportunity.

Sorry to be a downer, just needed to vent and screaming at others isn't my style.

If anyone else needs to vent please do.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

Post subject: Re: Anyone else love their carrer but hate their employer?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

With 25 years experience, sounds like it might be time to become your own boss, either on your own or partners with some other guys.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

WolverineFW wrote:
With 25 years experience, sounds like it might be time to become your own boss, either on your own or partners with some other guys.

At one time that was a consideration, but not anymore for many reasons. The biggest of which is the extreme amount of time away from my wife and kids. Another is I'd need millions of $ to even think of starting this kind of operation. Besides my wife is an artist and now the kids are both full time at school age so she's trying to start her own pottery business.

And truthfully, running a project is my forte. I have been very successful at that. I don't have the business head it would take to run my own.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

Well, let me bring ya'll up to date.

I have been offered a leadership position elsewhere and am considering taking it. The only hesitation I have is it's with a much smaller company with a scope of work much smaller than I am used to. They mostly do small scale renovations. Almost no new construction or large scale renovations. :|

These kind people acknowledge that my experience and continuing education make me very over qualified for the job.

Gotta think about if I would be happy long term with such a change of pace. :juggle:

Nice to be wanted though. :D

I will be getting back to them next week.

Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I also work in construction. The elevator trade for 33 years.( I Install new elevators) Two years ago I switched from a big world wide company After being there for 27 years to a small company. With 5 employees. For me it was the best move and I love working for a company that treats you like family. But You gotta go with your Heart.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient