It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trails while in Moab
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hey Guys,
I have alot of trails picked out for LJS this year but before I post up my choices I want to hear from you guys. Please post what trails are a must do for you while in Moab and we will get it set up! I will post my picks in a a couple of days.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Trails while in Moab
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We have no particular preferences. You don't have to worry about us too much in picking trails. We also like to hike and plan to take off a day or two to do that depending on the trails.

I do have a major test at work that could cause us to arrive late or leave early. It depends on how hot the fire is when the time comes.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Here are some of the trails we could do. I tried to pick a couple of trails that were not too difficult so a stock or slightly modified Jeep could get through. If you want to add a trail go ahead and add it here. All the trails in Moab are awesome! No matter which ones you do you will see great scenery and have an awesome time. I will put together the official trail schedule in a couple of weeks. Also, don't be intimidated about the trails, we will not ever leave anyone behind and we will help you all along the way, this is all about having fun, not about destroying your vehicle.

Metal Masher - Lift and armor required
Seven Mile Rim - Stock can make it
Long Canyon/Shafer Trail - Stock can make it
Fins and Things - Stock could get through with some work - lots of slick rock
Area BFE - Strike Ravine - Lift and armor required
Top of the World - Stock could make it but it will be a little work and bring a strap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I love all of those trails, except that I'd probably skip Long Canyon/Shafer Trail...they're beautiful trails with some great photo ops, but I have a rough time going that long without any obstacles. :) At least Seven Mile Rim has some cool optional obstacles to play on. But

My other favorites:
  • Steel Bender - Lift and armor required
  • Flat Iron Mesa - Didn't we have stock 4x4's go with us last time? I think one of them turned back, though.
  • Poison Spider Mesa - Lift and armor required
  • Kane Creek - Lift and armor required, rear locker highly recommended - what a fun trail...if you don't get lost!
  • Golden Spike - Lift, armor, and loose screw required - All-day excursion that maybe a small group of us might want to take on?

I feel comfortable leading Steel Bender, but I'd have trouble leading anything else at this point. It's just been too long. Maybe I could do Top of the World - it's pretty simple.

The only trails I really don't like are 3D Trail and Porcupine Rim...lots of kidney jiggling for little return.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Sooo many good trails and so little time!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

im stoked! i should have all my armor by then and maybe a lift. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Ok heres what I have worked out for trails. let me know if this works for everyone.

Day 1 Saturday April 20th - Top Of the World
Day 2 Sunday -April 21st - 7 Mile Rim
Day 3 Monday April 22nd - Metal Masher
Day 4 Tuesday April 23rd - Flat Iron Mesa
Day 5 Wednesday April 24th - Open Day - you can do whatever you wish
Day 6 Thursday April 25th - Area BFE - Strike Ravine or ???
Day 7 Friday April 26th - Fins and Things
Day 8 Saturday April 27th - Go Home

The meeting spot everyday will be at Pizza Hut in the center of town. Lets say at 8:30 to start, We can adjust times when we get there. Also, I am shooting for the raffle to be on Tuesday or Wednesday evening and I will post more details for that soon.

Thanks
Wally

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great selection! :BINGO:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hey Troy,
You up to leading Flat Iron Mesa? The last time I did it is when you rode with me, and you were navigating, I am sure I have forgotten some of the turns on that trail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm pretty sure we've gotten lost every time we've done that trail. :D I'm willing to give it a shot, though. We'd just need to keep a close eye on the Wells book. (I'll probably get a new copy...mine is the old black and white one from 8 years ago.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Troysterr wrote:
I'm pretty sure we've gotten lost every time we've done that trail. :D I'm willing to give it a shot, though. We'd just need to keep a close eye on the Wells book. (I'll probably get a new copy...mine is the old black and white one from 8 years ago.)

Sounds good to me. My book is about as old as yours!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That looks like a great list!

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 am 
LOST Addict

List looks great. I'll probably will be back overseas while this is going on, but I thought I'd add a couple more suggestions for people to check out on the free day. :mrgreen:

1. Top of the World: if people finish this trail and don't feel like they are done for the day, go explore Onion Creek. It's easy with too many little water crossings to count, but puts you in the valley below fisher towers. Lots of canyons to explore.

2. Spring Canyon Bottom: I just ran this last week and am amazed that I have never been down there before. It is a true hidden gem and a stocker can easily get down there. Hey Joe Canyon trail starts at the bottom, but I've never done it.

3. Go find the tusher tunnel, dellenbaugh tunnel, or secret spire. Stockers can get to all of them, but be ready for some sand. These can be an awesome day of exploring.

4. Elephant Hill: it's 40 miles south of Moab and 20 miles off the highway, but I can't recommend it enough. An armored stocker with good tires and tow points should be able to make this trail with some banging and scraping. My favorite in Moab, but it is a trek to get there.

5. Klondike Bluffs: Stocker friendly trail. Continue up over the top (maaaybe not stocker friendly?) into the north Klondike trails and end on Salt Valley Road. Turn right and play in the sand until you arrive at the back gate in arches.

6. Durangotang's suggested day of exploring (start with a full tank): Routefinding here isn't really hard at all, you can follow all of it on google maps and there are obvious signs for the things that aren't. Take Hwy 191 N to Mill Canyon Rd (air down) and find Tusher Tunnel (hint:follow the little wooden "Bartlett" sign). When leaving, go left onto the road to Bartlett Wash (the one you came in on). Play in the sand all the way to Dubinky Well Rd. Take Dubinky Well Rd until it ends and turn right to head down into Spring Canyon Bottom. You can turn around in the big open area at the bottom or continue on the left fork for a ways (I actually haven't found out how far it goes, was traveling solo and almost got stuck in the sand) Head back up and take the road to Hwy 313. Go south on 313 and take a left on Long Canyon Rd (not labelled but on google maps). Take Long Canyon down to Hwy 279. Air up if you want. Go left on hwy 279 and go right on hwy 191... go have some margaritas.

Oh... and I completely agree with Troy: 3D trail and Porcupine Rim should be avoided. You'll run little parts of 3D if you go to Tusher Tunnel or play around Bartlett, but there's no reason to do the whole trail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:13 am 
LOST Member

Nice selection of trails.

The last time I did Seven Mile Rim we had time afterwards to find Tusher and Dellenbaugh tunnels afterwards. I agree with Durangotang about Elephant Hill. Not only is it a nice trail, but you get to see Canyonlands Needles district.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a request: If no one else minds, I'd like to start the trail on Monday a little early, and start a little later on Tuesday. We're celebrating my little girl's 3rd birthday on Monday night, so I'd like to try to get off the trail by 2 or so, to drive back to SLC for her party. I'll drive back either late that night or early the next morning.

I don't remember what time we generally start the trails, but it would be really helpful to me if we could start by 9 on Monday, and not start until 10 or so on Tuesday.

Metal Masher is a pretty short trail, especially if you don't spend a long time at the optional obstacles at the end. So, really, I'd probably make it just fine if I just head out while the rest of you play around there.

If that doesn't fit everyone else's schedule, though, I can make it work some other way. If nothing else, I could split off from the rest of the group at lunch time on Monday and race through to get off the trail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Troysterr wrote:
I have a request: If no one else minds, I'd like to start the trail on Monday a little early, and start a little later on Tuesday. We're celebrating my little girl's 3rd birthday on Monday night, so I'd like to try to get off the trail by 2 or so, to drive back to SLC for her party. I'll drive back either late that night or early the next morning.

I don't remember what time we generally start the trails, but it would be really helpful to me if we could start by 9 on Monday, and not start until 10 or so on Tuesday.

Metal Masher is a pretty short trail, especially if you don't spend a long time at the optional obstacles at the end. So, really, I'd probably make it just fine if I just head out while the rest of you play around there.

If that doesn't fit everyone else's schedule, though, I can make it work some other way. If nothing else, I could split off from the rest of the group at lunch time on Monday and race through to get off the trail.

Troy,
We have been meting at 830. That should work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That'll work, thanks.