It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Real Beadlocks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For all the guys that might have an interest in installing real beadlocks... Here is a write up.

I placed an order from All J Products for a set of 5 High-Impact Rock 8 Beadlocks. These are going on the ZJ but the write up will work for any vehicle. I ordered 15 X 8 X 32bolt beadlocks. They come in all different sizes and they even have true DOT wheels if you think you might need them. I did not have concerns about it so it was not an issue to me to just use their standard beadlock.

I went with these because of the rim ring. It is not just a cut flat plate but has a lip that really fits the tire bead just like a normal wheel. I am also a black wheel kind of guy but you can get these in chrome if you like. I went for the steel wheels as well.

I am also using BFG Mud Terrain 33 X 12.5 X 15 tires at 30 psi

Let me say you HAVE TO have a torque wrench to do this. This is not something you can let slide or you are going to have major problems. You have to also have a lot of patience.. it took right at 12 hours to do 5 wheels and tires. Keep in mind I did not rush through it and you have to torque and torque and torque many times to pull the right down right.

I had the 5 tires broken down at good old Mikes Tires.

Lay one of the wheels with the beadlock side facing up. Use some soapy water on the back of the tire bead and slide it over the wheel. It goes on very easy and drops all the way down so that the top bead is resting against the beadlock rim.

When you first look at the distance you will think, “There is no way that rim is going to work right”. But use some longer bolts with washer in 4 places to start pulling down the rim. Keep the bolts run down at the same distance as you work around just enough to use the provided bolts. I picked up the longer grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. They were 5/16 x 1.5 x 18. Be sure to replace the longer bolts once you have the others started.

Be sure that the tire is centered on the lock rim. Use a cross pattern and start pulling down all the bolts the same amount. I used some different color makers on the bolt heads to help keep track. I marked every fourth bolt so that I could do a cross pattern on one color then the next and so on until they are all torqued down. I went 3 steps to do this.

It takes a lot of time but they will get to a point where they do not turn any more as they are torqued.

Then take the wheel and stand it on another wheel with the beadlock facing up. Use soapy water again on the back side of the rim. Push down on the top of the tire so that the back side starts on the rim. Remove the core of the air valve and add air. The abck side will pop on with no problems. Fill the tires and add the core back in. Top off the pressure if needed. Have them balanced and install them back on your vehicle.

Remember these are new wheels so check the lug nut torque after 100 miles or so and check an eye on the beadlock rim torque as well.

I can now air way down without problems of the tire popping a bead. These wheels are very solid and I am sure they will stand up to a lot of abuse and believe me they will see a lot. Later…Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:38 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Nice work and thanks for the time it took for the write up. Can't wait to see them in action. You gonna leave all those pretty colors on them?

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject: Nice beadlocks... Have you looked at Staun's Beadlocks?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:25 am 
LOST Newbie

What was the dollar cost for these, besides the the time for installation? I purchased a set of Staun internal beadlocks and installed them myself. They are costly at nearly $200 per but they took a lot less time to install. They are also "street legal"(if that makes a difference to anyone).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just did some Rockstomper beadlocks on my TJ and there was a ton of welding involved. I didn't see any mention of welding with your writeup; was there none needed?? If not, what was the cost of the 5 kits??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No welding at all involved. These are ready to go right out of the box. The cost was right at 170 each. That is a lot lower than some of the other hi dollar beadlocks. Hope that helps. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am 
LOST Member

ok so you remove tires if not already apart, put the inner part on the rim, mount tires put outer part on the rim and bolt down?? this sandwiches the bead detween each plate correct? sorry im a bit slow to beadlocking :shock:

front brush guard
everthing else is stock for now