It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am actually still running the stock rear shocks with out problems.

Let me add to this, I don't disconnect my rear sway bar and really my Libby has only seen a couple of tough trails over the year the lift has been on, even those were more due to grade than any kind of flexing.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the lift has been on now for a little over one year now. I have put a little over 18,000 miles on it. A few of those work trips but those were probably the toughest on it. The tires are just about gone even with a lot of rotations during the time the lift has been on. I was told the alignment wasn't going to be perfect, it was aligned when the lift was put on, and then again here recently. So tire wear is definately an issue although the tires had around 6,000 miles on them to start with I would have hoped to get over 30,000 miles out of them. So far no problems with ball joints etc that you so frequently hear about. I did blow the steering rack about a month ago but the rest of the front end was in good shape when I had it replaced. I will say that with the aftermarket steering rack it drives so much better and feels much better than it ever did brand new. Anyway, like I have stated on here, I probably didn't go with the best lift, but man I am still very happy with it. I really don't do any serious offroading with it though and do not plan to in the future, thats what the other Jeep is for. Shocks struts etc are still in great working order. At this point if I had it all to do again I wouldn't change a thing. Really if you are just looking to get your rig up to a good working height and don't plan to use it as a trail rig I would recomend this lift highly for you. It has done exactly what I wanted and worked great.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad to hear its working out good.

And yea, using the stock rear shocks is fine. Just wont have as much flex.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: Great install tips
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

:D I just finished this install and your write up was Great. I could not have done it without your help. One question, I did not understand the part about the "first I marked the cam bolts, etc." ? I did not remove them. I also removed the brake calibers to get them out of the way and to allow more play to get the upper ball joints back on. Thanks again.
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I lossened the bolts so give more movenment on the a-rms, and I took the calipers off as well, I just sat them on a bucket and didn't disconnect the brake lines.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had mine on for about 9 months now, and have had no problems with it. It took about a month to settle in, and ive put about 13,000 miles on it. I do a lot of offroading, but nothing too intense - but have yet to come across a trail I couldn't get through easily.

(Money depending, of course) I think I am going to put on a different lift. But only because I want a few more inches and bigger tires. But until then, my DayStar is great.

Mopar Skids
Hi-Lift
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202356

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wonder if your KJ was the one I saw a few months back when I was going through Flag in my Jag? Do you have any pictures?

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Post subject: Re: 2-1/2" Daystar install write up (1 year review)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="KJ Taz"]

"Make sure to torque all bolts to factory specs. This information can be found on the Franken Lift site:
http://boulderbars.com/images/kj_produc ... rticle.pdf"

Your write up was excellent and very helpful on my install. HOWEVER, THE TORQUE SPECS LISTED ARE NOT FOR A 2006 LIBERTY KJ. I snapped the sway bar link lower bolt because I followed those specs. It was my fault, especially since I have a full set of Chrysler-Daimler 2006 Liberty service manuals. I've attached the specs for a '06 KJ front suspension.

SUSPENSION TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS FOR 2006 JEEP LIBERTY KJ.
(The following information is out of the official Daimler-Chrysler Corp. Jeep service manual, volume 1)
FRONT
WARNING: Suspension components with rubber bushings must be tightened with the vehicle at normal ride height. It is important to have the springs supporting the weight of the vehicle when the fasteners are torqued. If springs are not at their normal ride position, vehicle ride comfort will be affected and cause premature bushing wear.
SPECIFICATIONS
TORQUE
-------------DESCRIPTION----------------------------------Ft. Lbs.
Front shock absorber clevis bracket upper nut--------45
Front shock absorber clevis bracket lower nut--------110
Front shock absorber top (4) mounting nuts-----------80
Front shock to spring and isolator nut-------------------30
Upper suspension arm front nut--------------------------90
Upper suspension arm rear nut---------------------------90
Lower suspension arm front nut-------------------------125
Lower suspension arm rear nut--------------------------125
Stabilizer bar clamp nut------------------------------------110
Stabilizer bar link upper nut-------------------------------100
Stabilizer bar link lower nut---------------------------------85
Hub/bearing bolt----------------------------------------------96
Hub/bearing halfshaft nut----------------------------------100
Upper ball joint nut-------------------------------------------60
Lower ball joint nut-------------------------------------------60
wheel speed sensor------------------------------------------10

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great information! I guess I used the wrong torque specs but have not had a problem. It's about time to recheck everything again anyway.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ Taz wrote:
Great information! I guess I used the wrong torque specs but have not had a problem. It's about time to recheck everything again anyway.

I have been told since my last post that overtorqueing grade 10+ bolts by +/-15 Ft.Lbs. shouldn't sheer them off. Apparently I had a defective one. I'm glad I found that out in the garage and not on the road. :shock: Obviously you haven't had any problems and I suppose won't. If I remember correctly the rear shock bolts were 85 top and 95 bottom. I must say having the shop manuals really helps with mods., I just need to remember to use them. :roll: :lol:

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:15 am 
LOST Member

How much did this Budget boost cost you? If you don't mind me asking. I'm in a similar situation, I need new shock/ maybe springs though so if I have to replace them, I may just end up going franken lift, but this is tempting since your write up is so clear. I don't think I'll be doing any heavy wheeling either, another reason I'm thinkin of the budget boost as opposed to franken lift.

Just curious! Again, great write up and I appreciate the follow-up on how things are working for you.

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmichaelsjeep wrote:
How much did this Budget boost cost you?

I really don't remember (sorry, I'm old :wink: ), but I'm sure it was under $200. I'll check when I get home and let you know.
I'm completely happy with the lift for the price, since I do more commuting than wheeling. My next suspension mod will probably be heavier springs to handle an A.R.B. bumper and winch, but that's some time in the future.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

About $160-ish. I got one from the local 4 Wheel Parts store for about the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-02-0 ... ccessories

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, so if i were to buy this lift today, I WOULD need new rear shocks? Also, i read at Rocky-Road.com, "Any kit that uses an internal strut spacer creates lift by crushing the front springs so that there is no uptravel (compression) left. The strut can't change length on the Liberty, it is always the same. So the spring is going to be squished more inside of that strut assembly when a spacer goes inside...With an internal strut spacer, the suspension is already compressed. The lower the Jeep onto the tire and they won't go up, they will stay in place rigid. This is because the springs are already crushed nearly to their maximum compression. What does this mean for you? It means very stiff handling, a bouncy stiff ride quality, an unstable feeling at " Does this lift have the external strut spacers? or will this not play a factor.

And has anyone had to replace the ball joints? If so how much did you fork up.
I'm just trying get some helpful insight before i make a purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK. For the shock question, look at my post over here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46838&p=515421

As for Rocky Road's comment, they are incorrect. The Daystar kit does add a 2-1/2" spacer in the spring/shock assembly, but to keep from over compressing the spring as Rocky Road describes, Daystar also gives you a new top plate that, in-effect, lengthens your shock's max length. Therefore, you add a 2.5" spacer, and then lengthen the shock by 2.5". That gives you the same up travel as before, without over comprssing the spring.

If you are going to get a Daystar kit, I suggest searching online for the KJ09115BK kit. That is the older part number kit. It includes extended front bumpstops and replacement eurethane front swaybar bushings too if you want to replace them.

Just my :2cents:

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

long_tall_texan wrote:
OK. For the shock question, look at my post over here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46838&p=515421

If you are going to get a Daystar kit, I suggest searching online for the KJ09115BK kit. That is the older part number kit. It includes extended front bumpstops and replacement eurethane front swaybar bushings too if you want to replace them.

Just my :2cents:

X2
maybe these pictures will help.

rear coil before spacer installed.

rear coil with spacer installed

this is the whole kit. big spacer on left for rear, smaller spacer on right for front. the shocks are longer Durango shocks for the rear.

Hope these helped. Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Just finished the install on my libby. Thanks for this write up. Followed it step by step: with a few new tricks. Very helpful. Anyone planning on doing a daystar Lift should throw out your directions and just follow this POST.

Rancho RS5000 rear shocks
Cragar 16x7 Soft 8's
245/75/16 Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac's
painted gas cap

Future mods: CAI, ARB front bumper, JBA UCA's, Warn Winch with some Recovery gear...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This thread has taken on a life of it's own. Thanks to all who have added to it.

My Liberty is currently running around the North Metro Denver area with Sin City Lost stickers on it. My step daughter drives the crap out of it and with well over 70,000 miles and the lift is still working great. I am still hoping to bring it back to Vegas one day. But I can't get that kid to buy her own vehicle cause she loves the Liberty so much.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

Nice write-up. You should send Daystar a copy for their records. :seuss:

Anyway, i was curious about lifts, and am keeping my options open which includes the Daystar. What I'm curious about is, do you have to use the stock suspension in order to use this, or can you upgrade to the aftermarket and still use this? I'm not trying to get gratuitous amounts of lift, it's just that I know my stock suspension is showing its signs of wear and I wanted to replace it anyway.

So it basically comes to: Are you limited to stock suspension replacements when considering a Daystar kit, or can you also moderately upgrade with aftermarket and still use it?

Front hooks, Rusty's Gas skid, CURT hitch with a Pirate Hook!
OME HD Springs, Koni shocks, Teraflex bumpstops, Sumitomo A/T's 245/70/16 on Moabs.
K&N "Cold" air intake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's an excellent question and I'm sure it has been answered a hundred times somewhere on this site but good luck finding it. I hijacked this thread and there's some good info here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51930. I, too, have questions about my Daystar lift, and these gracious folks are willing to put up with newbies and thier stupid questions. Have fun...and ask away.
John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next