It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2-1/2" Daystar install write up (1 year review)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

So...whats the trick to see the images in these posts???

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:48 pm 
LOST Addict

frankay213 wrote:

First you have to have eyes......do you have eyes?

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 am 
LOST Newbie

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
frankay213 wrote:

First you have to have eyes......do you have eyes?

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

Turns out the network I am on is blocking the images. Its strange, I only see the word "Image" PEBKAC

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is outstanding! I've been thinking of doing the Daystar lift on my liberty for quite awhile. I drove a BroncoII for many years. Never got used to sitting so low with my 2005 Liberty. This write-up made me much more comfortable with my ability to do the job.

All the tips, down to the ratchet strap trick, were not only helpful, but probably the only reason my son and I were able to complete the project in a weekend.

My two cents:

Disconnect the brake line from the front calipers. No way to reconnect the lower clevis with the brake line installed. Learned this the hard way after breaking the drivers side brake line. $20 at Auto Zone for a new front brake line and brake fluid, and a short detour to fix / bleed the brakes.

The front takes a lot of brute force to put back together. Two people makes it go much better.

I see what you mean about the back not being lifted quite as much as the front. Since I didn't like the scooped look, this was great.

Using the spring compressor for the back worked perfect.

I have 190,000 miles on my KJ. Didn't make sense to reuse the same old struts and shocks, so I replaced them while installing the lift. Only cost about $125 for Monroe Sensa Trac after $60 rebate.

End result:

Achieved the advertised 2.5 inch lift. About 3/8 inches less in the back. My Liberty actually looks the way a Jeep should look.

Jeep looks great with stock 225/75R16 tires. Once they wear out, I intend to upsize one notch to 235/75R16. I could go with 245/75R16, but would be more likely to have some rubbing, and may notice a slight loss of power. I intend to use the Jeep primarily for normal commuting and don't want to loose the zippiness that I bought it for.

Jeep rides better than when I started, probably due to the new shocks / struts installed with the lift. I didn't notice a difference in cornering, but it handles bumps better than before and has a bit stiffer of a ride.

Only had to make a slight adjustment to the headlight angle.

This is the most fun I've had in a long time. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. Sounds like a lot of people, including me, benefited from your generosity.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Mr Wes wrote:
This is outstanding! I've been thinking of doing the Daystar lift on my liberty for quite awhile. I drove a BroncoII for many years. Never got used to sitting so low with my 2005 Liberty. This write-up made me much more comfortable with my ability to do the job.

All the tips, down to the ratchet strap trick, were not only helpful, but probably the only reason my son and I were able to complete the project in a weekend.

My two cents:

Disconnect the brake line from the front calipers. No way to reconnect the lower clevis with the brake line installed. Learned this the hard way after breaking the drivers side brake line. $20 at Auto Zone for a new front brake line and brake fluid, and a short detour to fix / bleed the brakes.

The front takes a lot of brute force to put back together. Two people makes it go much better.

I see what you mean about the back not being lifted quite as much as the front. Since I didn't like the scooped look, this was great.

I have 190,000 miles on my KJ. Didn't make sense to reuse the same old struts and shocks, so I replaced them while installing the lift. Only cost about $125 for Monroe Sensa Trac after $60 rebate.

End result:

Achieved the advertised 2.5 inch lift. About 3/8 inches less in the back. My Liberty actually looks the way a Jeep should look.

Jeep looks great with stock 225/75R16 tires. Once they wear out, I intend to upsize one notch to 235/75R16. I could go with 245/75R16, but would be more likely to have some rubbing, and may notice a slight loss of power. I intend to use the Jeep primarily for normal commuting and don't want to loose the zippiness that I bought it for.

Jeep rides better than when I started, probably due to the new shocks / struts installed with the lift. I didn't notice a difference in cornering, but it handles bumps better than before and has a bit stiffer of a ride.

This is the most fun I've had in a long time. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. Sounds like a lot of people, including me, benefited from your generosity.

Good luck with it, install front bumpstops that will help some to keep the UCAs from wearing out in no time
also be ready to replace shocks sooner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just did the same install on my 04 Limited 4x4. I also installed Teraflex 3" bumpstops up front, new UCA's, LBJ's, and shocks. The tie rod ends and remaining bushings were good. When I got it aligned the mechanic said he could not get the camber to spec. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:04 pm 
LOST Addict

As I understand it, of camber, caster, and toe, the one that can be sacrificed a bit is caster. Have him try to set the toe and camber first, and then try to get the caster as close as possible. It will make your steering wheel not center itself as easily after turns, but it shouldn't wear your tires out and will affect handling the least.

This is all 3rd hand info... I have JBA UCA's with my lift and was able to get it aligned nearly perfectly. But this is what I remember from some other LOST posts, I think.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
As I understand it, of camber, caster, and toe, the one that can be sacrificed a bit is caster. Have him try to set the toe and camber first, and then try to get the caster as close as possible. It will make your steering wheel not center itself as easily after turns, but it shouldn't wear your tires out and will affect handling the least.

This is all 3rd hand info... I have JBA UCA's with my lift and was able to get it aligned nearly perfectly. But this is what I remember from some other LOST posts, I think.

The camber adjustment on mine is frozen on one side. I got lucky after the lift in that it actually helped my base alignment. Was able to get toe and camber in spec.

Caster on the other hand is just slightly on the positive side of zero. This does tend to cause the wheel to lock in at extreme right or left, but auto centers fine for normal driving and cornering. As long as your caster is positive, it should drive okay. As mentioned above, camber and toes are important for tire wear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Mr Wes wrote:

My two cents:

End result:

Good luck with it, install front bumpstops that will help some to keep the UCAs from wearing out in no time
also be ready to replace shocks sooner

Thanks for the advice. I installed the extended bump stops. Went in very easy using a 2x4 as leverage to force them in (with a little dish soap water applied).

Put 235 75R16 tires on it. only has about 1/4" clearance from rubbing the control arm at full turn. Glad I didn't go with the 245s, although they would fit fine with new wheels with less back stop clearance.

Still enjoying the new ride. No noticeable difference in cornering or general control.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJ Taz wrote:
Thank you for the compliments, that right there makes it all worth while.

On another note, if anyone has anything to add or additional tricks to the installs, please let me know and I will make sure it gets added in. Heck if you think I am just plain worng please let me know. I would rather have good correct infomation in the write up.

Thanks all!

Only thing I see that you didn't do was a new preload on the control arm bushings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJ Taz wrote:
I guess at this point I will add a little to the thread. I have now had the lift on for alittle over 6 months and so far I am very happy with it. Sure it does ride a little bit rougher, but to me it rides a drives more like a Jeep should. I haven't had to bad of an issue with the tires wearing, although I have rotated them twice and I have alittle over 6,000 miles on the lift so far. I really don't "wheel" the Jeep but I really did notice the ground clearance in the snow this year. It was very nice to have. I do rub at the pinch seem and still a little bit in the front even after I trimmed the front airdam. Its not enough for me to do anything about. Heck my TJ rubs and I won't trim it either. Nothing that hurts the tires, nothing is going to break, so I leave it be. I like the fact the Jeep still looks fairly stock and really only Jeep folks know what I did to the Jeep. If my TJ didn't suck up money so quick I probably would put a little more into the Libby, although in looking at things, it really doesn't need more money thrown at it as its a great vehicle as it sits. So all in all I am still very happy with the lift and the way things have worked out. I guess a big point is I didn't try to fool myself into a cheaper lift and then regret it, as I was very honest with myself and what my goals were with this Jeep at this point. Mainly a get around town, good in the snow, occassional camping vehicle that will see dirt roads but won't really run any "trails" so to speak. It does it all and looks darn good doing it. Thats what I wanted and achieved.

Rides rougher because you didn't do a new preload on the bushings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post subject: Can't get LCA low enough...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did you have any trouble getting the LCA low enough to attach to the now-extended strut and clevis? I'm currently trying to do that and it seems like the strut and clevis assembly is now too long to fit into place anymore. I can't get that LCA low enough to connect to it again. I already disconnected the sway bar to allow the LCA to drop further, but even that doesn't seem to be low enough. Any help???

Post subject: Re: Can't get LCA low enough...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the same issue but I have the top strut spacer. I am taking the jeep to a shop I use. I did the rear. This was not the daystar but the Rockfather from Rocky Road. did you get your lift completed??

dwyn97 wrote:
Did you have any trouble getting the LCA low enough to attach to the now-extended strut and clevis? I'm currently trying to do that and it seems like the strut and clevis assembly is now too long to fit into place anymore. I can't get that LCA low enough to connect to it again. I already disconnected the sway bar to allow the LCA to drop further, but even that doesn't seem to be low enough. Any help???

M416 Trailer